The Lass of Richmond Hill / A Trip To Holy-Well

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    These are two English country dance tunes (but -- unusually -- not from the Playford collection), which I am playing on mandolin, mandocello and tenor guitar using arrangements by David M. Brown. Thanks, David!

"The Lass Of Richmond Hill" was a popular song of the late 18th century, and a favourite tune of King George III. The tune was written by James Hook (1746 – 1827), although it is often listed as traditional.

"A Trip to Holy-Well" is a tune from "The Second Book of the Compleat Country Dancing Master" published by J. Walsh in 1719. I presume the title is a reference to the town of Holywell in North Wales, a major pilgrimage destination since the Middle Ages. When I saw the title, I had to learn the tune: Holywell is just a few miles down the road from us.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a happy dance recording, Martin. And I like your more colorful video recording, too.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice set and seamless segue between the two, Martin, and the sound is very clear.
    Good to see you back in your usual habitat and the new webcam is giving a wider view of the room. I can see what you said about it in another posting - there is barrel distortion bending your door frames! Interesting that Ginny noticed camera distortion on my Devil's Dream as well. Maybe we need to get out in the fresh air again.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof and John. Yes, I like the new webcam which has a very nice picture quality and it's also nice to use a webcam on a cable rather than having to position the internal laptop camera. We got this for a remote music grade exam, but didn't use it in the end because I hadn't noticed when ordering that it's a wide-angle camera and the rules said that there must be "no distortion" on the image.

Martin
  5. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Distortion or not-very nice music, played relaxed and smooth.
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian. I got a new batch of country dance arrangements from David, so a few more to work through and try out! These two are definitely winners.

Martin
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very nice music! What was the exam?
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Dennis. Grade 3 piano (my daughter) -- like everything, they are doing them remotely now, so you have to send in a video a performance of the test pieces taken with very detailed instructions on format and presentation.

Martin