Drunk At Night & Dry In The Morning

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Drunk At Night & Dry In The Morning is probably my favourite Scottish tune and maybe my favourite all time tune, composed by Niel Gow, I first heard this played by the great Scottish group Ossian. Playing this tune always makes me happy although the title could mean many things, I think happy isn't one of them.

2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, David -- great rendition of this grand Niel Gow tune.

I recorded this tune back in 2016, as a duet of two bowlbacks (one on melody and the other playing an arpeggio accompaniment). I thought I had posted it here in the SAW group, but apparently not as I can't find an old thread. So, here it is, based on Nigel Gatherer's setting:

1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin

https://youtu.be/p6rY4LJVuiM

Martin
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice, both versions! It sounds like a pretty complex tune.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    David, an awesome project that obviously took a lot of work to put together. I love the jaunty melody and am only slightly disappointed at the lack of hat, but the joy you bring to this tune overrides my need for the chapeau apparel.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Totally missed out on this. Ingeniously played by both, but... What is going on? David seems to drift nearer my Dawg to thee, hair-wise, and Martin has a whole teetotaller's world in stock Surely, the times they are a-changeing.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I too missed this one when you posted it back in June, David. There is something about it that seems different from so many of Gow's tunes - it has a sort of English Folk Dance feel to it.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Amazing and beautiful, I love waltzes! So grateful to be a member of the SAW group.
    Both really well played David and Martin, this is such a lovely tune, and thanks Bertram, Dennis, Ginny and John.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    As so often: two very nice but different arrangements. Thanks David and Martin.
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Wow I feel like I've been resurrected. I thought that my playing must have been so bad that no one wanted to comment. Thanks to all for the kind comments and especially to Dennis for ressurecting this thread.
  10. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    David, I always have you and the other SAW players on notification - but seems we all missed your tune. Maybe you forget to hit the right button? Blaming it on you, so thanks
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks Ginny, I knew I could count on you for support!!!!
  12. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    David, I'm not sure about the title either, but it's a fine tune. Love when the concertina comes in--really adds a lift to the tune.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks Don!!
  14. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Don't know why, but I completely missed this thread. Such a nice tune!
    Sounds fine as a little mandolin orchestra with a concertina, as well as a mandolin duo. Why don't you play the Embergher any more, Martin?
  15. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for the kind comments on my old recording of this tune -- mine is a bit more modest than David's grand production.

Christian: I have been neglecting the Embergher (and the Ceccherini) recently and should get it out again. It's mainly because bowlbacks are more prone to going to sleep if not rgularly played than other mandolins, and therefore the Embergher has sounded a bit harsh to my ears when I have picked it up recently which hasn't motivated me to pick it again next time. Not sure to what extent it's actual objective differences in tone or micro adjustments in playing style that need to be reacquired. I need to play through that, I think, and keep my good instruments in rotation.

Martin
  16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    <Double post deleted>
  17. Malk
    Malk
    Bertram's 'Glass of beer' put me in mind of this tune. I am much better at drinking beer than playing my mandolin so with Martin's recent tune contributions as inspiration, I used a some of my photos of beers mostly from German speaking areas. No little glasses of Kölsch I'm afraid but luckily I don't think the tune has any Kölsch lyrics either so unlike Martin I'm not singing. I followed Nigel Gatherer's setting.

18. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Great stuff, Malcolm, and a very thirst-making video.