Ännchen von Tharau

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    My current tune to practice the rest stroke and the third position is a German folksong, which is dedicated to Anna Neander, who married three parsons. (One after the other) This song is based on a poem written on the occasion of her first marriage.
    Mandolin-wise, I'm playing my Guriema bowlback, that I bought for very little money used. You can hear a certain lack of sound quality; the low strings sound a bit muffled, while the high notes cry out...
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great poise CC. I really like the atmosphere and gentle hesitations to give the tune a more feminine feeling, well done.

And, Ouch! I hope the parsons left happy.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another lovely arrangement of a fine tune, Christian. Beautiful interplay between your instruments, as always.
    I assume the lady discarded the current parson before taking on the next one? Would those three be the original Neander(thal) men? Sorry. Just had to get that one in there!
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Very nice, Christian. I like the idea of using nice and simple folk melodies to improve your technic. Obviously, it works!
    You inspired me to try it myself. I should improve my mandolin playing as well as my guitar accompaniment.

I was amused by the duck in your slide show as we all heard “Entchen” (German word for a little duck) instead of “Ännchen” (term of endearment for Anna) when listening to this song as a child.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice arrangement, Christian -- sounds very delicate!

I recorded this old German folk tune a couple of years ago. I thought I had uploaded it here, but it was in the German folk song thread in the main forum (link), along with your own previous recording.

To put them together, here is my previous recording on Vinaccia bowlback, mandocello and tenor guitar:

Martin
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very fine recording Martin, the Vinaccia bowlback gives this German song a little Italian feeling.
    Anna Neander married the next parson, when the previous one had died, she kind of belonged to the church and took for a husband the one, who became the new parson.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    John, this story very much reminds me of a song I know from Cilla Fisher, with three verses of it going like

The first o' my loves was a swaggerin' blade;
    Tae rattle the thunderin' drum was his trade.
    His leg was sae tight and his cheek was sae ruddy,
    Transported was I wi' my sodger laddie.

But the godly auld chaplain left him in the lurch,
    And the sword I forsook for the sake o' the church.
    He ventured the soul and I risked the body;
    'Twas then I proved fause tae my sodger laddie.

Full soon I grew sick o' my sanctified sot;
    Tae the reg'ment at large for a husband I got.
    Frae the gilded spontoon tae the fife I was ready;
    I asked for nae mair but a young sodger laddie.

It also reminds me of one line from the movie Gettysburg, where Longstreet says "we southerners like our men religious, and a little bit mad. Maybe that's why women fall in love with preachers"
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    My first intention was to copy the fine playing of Christian with rest stroke and octaviated melody. And I did it indeed.
    But I found a different accompaniment arrangement in my song bock for voice and Guitar.

After listening to Martins nice version I was tempted to play the melody on other instruments… To many for this kind of accompaniment?

I included some verses in 19th century German and the translation by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very nice, I like also the tone you have there Martin that gives you an impression of the recording room and gives a sort of warm antique sound.

Great one Frithjof! Fine playing on your guitar too. Well played.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely arrangement and playing, Frithjof.
  11. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Very beautiful sounding arrangement, Frithiof
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a great video from Frithjof! It has everything in it - nice arrangement, playing up the neck, and a good idea to juxtapose the German and English lyrics. An excellent production all round.
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    An outstanding rendition, Frithjof. There is that slightly baroque angle from the guitar, and a no-frills mandolin melody making it all sound honest.
    The English translation is impressively congenial and has that feature of literal rhymes instead of phonetic (good rhymes with blood?).
  14. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Wonderful arrangement and playing, I was looking for new adjectives but my esteemed colleagues beat me to it. I am particularly fond of the guitar part.
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice to get some praise for my efforts. Thanks to all.
  16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice setting, Frithjof -- I especially like the guitar arrangement.

I've just updated my own recording as well. Same no-frills arrangement as previously, but played a bit faster and with less tremolo on the Mid-Mo.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Martin.
  18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A tasteful update of your older rendition, Martin.
  19. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice version of the three parsons' wife song, Martin.
  20. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John, Frithjof and Christian.

Martin
  21. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    There may be less tremolo, but that just makes the quality of the tremolo stand out more. Played with feeling!