Three Sea Captains

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A set dance pointed out to me by a fellow session musician.
    Faster than O'Carolan, more baroque than Joe Cooley - this must be the missing link

X: 1
    T: Three Sea Captains, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Gmaj
    D|G3 BGB|c2A F2D|GDG BGB|d2B G3|
    cec A3|BdB G3|A2B c2B|ABG FED|
    GDG BGB|c2A F2D|GDG BGB|d2B G3|
    cec A3|BdB G3|EcB AGF|G3 G2:|
    d|gfg dcB|ABc def|gfg dBd|e2c A2d|
    g2a bge|f2g afd|e3 ed^c|d3 z2 B|
    c2d ecA|B2c dBG|A2B c2B|ABG FED|
    GDG BGB|c2A F2D|G3 BGB|d2B G3|
    cec A3|BdB G3|EcB AGF|G3 G2:|

thesession.org has this to say about background information:
    "This set dance was composed in honour of the victory of the combined fleets of Britain, France and Russia (and their respective sea captains) over the Egyptian and Turkish fleets at the battle of Navarino in 1827.
    Navarino bay is off Pylos in the Peloponnese of southern Greece..
    This was the last great sea battle fought with wooden ships and was decisive in the struggle for Greek independence from the Ottoman empire."

Seems to me a very dramatic story for such a cosy, homely and comforting piece of music.
  2. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Very nice, Bertram. You are sounding as good as ever and playing at my geriatric tempo. Thanks for the ABC’s. I printed it and did a quick run through (actually I printed it and did a slow walk through). This is a very nice tune, indeed. Thanks for sharing this one.
  3. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Excellent. Might spend some time on this one tonight and see what I can make of it.
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What a dancible bounce you got in this one. The fullness of the drones and double stops is great.
  5. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Bertram, it's wonderful how you can make the melody sing while at the same time providing backup with nicely placed chords, double stops and even bass notes at the appropriate places! Excellent solo effort.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all - miraculous what 8 new strings can do, isn't it? But the credits, soundwise, belong to Mr. Roger Bucknall of Fylde.
    The bouncy rhythm comes natural with this one, indeed it would be hard to play it without. I do recommend playing it, it's instant happiness and despite the B-part anomaly (longer than the A part) easy to learn.
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely stuff Bertram, I've heard this one before and wanted to learn it so now you've given me new found impetus to do just that!
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Jill - yes, you can't escape this tune
  9. Toycona
    Toycona
    Nicely done, Bertram. Is there a tab sheet for that somewhere?
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Superb!
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great version there David!
  12. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Very melodic and enjoyable, David. Both mandolins and the backing sound great.
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I kinda hoped you'd chime in David, and there you are, exceeding expectations again! Sounds like a clear morning in spring.
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    Now that's a tune crying out for a Concertina... excellent job boys! I'm familiar with the melody but I never knew what it was called...
  15. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just recorded this lovely tune, based on Dave Swarbrick's setting from his album "Lift The Lid And Listen" as transcribed in the "Dave Swarbrick Fiddle Tunes" songbook by Maartin Allcock.

Other than Swarbrick's fairly fast jig version, the tune has also been recorded by The Dubliners as a mandolin duet with guitar backing, at a much slower tempo. Mine is closer to Swarb's.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    In case anyone is interested, at the request of a Cafe member, I coded the doublestops I do into the ABC for this tune:

X: 1
    T: The Three Sea Captains
    R: jig
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    K: Gmaj
    D|[G,3G3] BGB|[Ec]2A [FA]2D|[G,3G3] BGB|[dD]2B [G,3G3]|
    [Ec]e[Ec] [DA]3|[DB]d[DB] [G,3G3]|[EA]2[EB] [Ec]2[EB]|ABG FED|
    [G,3G3] BGB|[Ec]2A [FA]2D|[G,3G3] BGB|[dD]2B [G,3G3]|
    [Ec]e[Ec] [DA]3|BdB [G,3G3]|EcB AGF|[G,3G3] [G,G]2:|
    d|[Bg]fg [Dd]cB|[Ae]Bc def|[Bg]fg dBd|[Ae]2c [Ae]2f|
    [Bg]2a bge|[Af]2g afd|[Ae]3 ed^c|[Dd]3 z2 B|
    [Ec]2d ecA|[DB]2c dBG|[EA]2[EB] [Ec]2[EB]|ABG FED|
    [G,3G3] BGB|[Ec]2A [FA]2D|[G,3G3] BGB|[dD]2B [G,3G3]|
    [Ec]e[Ec] [DA]3|[DB]d[DB] [G,3G3]|EcB AGF|[G,3G3] G2:|
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for the service, Bertram.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Many thanks Bertram.
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bump
  20. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I was reminded of this lovely tune by Jason's (pluckinstrings) recent upload in a separate thread (link).

I had previously recorded it, based on Dave Swarbrick's setting from his album "Lift The Lid And Listen". Swarbrick played it as a set with a Scottish tune, "Kate Dalrymple" (link), so here is my interpretation of this combination of tunes from Maartin Allcock's transcription thereof in his "Dave Swarbrick Fiddle Tunes" book. I'm playing it quite a bit slower than Swarb, though!

Three Sea Captains 0:00
    Kate Dalrymple 0:45

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    This is the tune Jason posted:

https://youtu.be/hFlGLye4TR8
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very nice, Martin, love the tone on your mandolin.