My Dixie Darling

1. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    My Dixie Darling is one of my favorite Carter family tunes. For the last 4 1/2 years I have been performing this song (as well as many others) every weekend with my old time string band. I sang lead and played the guitar breaks. For this version, I added the harmony vocals and mandolin as well as a second guitar.

The instruments: Kentucky KM600, Simon & Patrick dreadnought guitar (capo at 7th fret) and a Martin 00X1AE guitar. It's in the key of G.

I checked and didn't find this tune on our lists. So I started a new discussion.
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Same excellent quality as the previous one. It's funny when you think of people and their names and where they live I am very often surprised by their actual voice. I am always surprised at players who are from England but living somewhere else. So, Michael, this is not the voice I had envisioned for you - but am truly pleased at the singing voice you are lucky to have.
  3. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Wow Michael, your return has been with all the cavalry charge ... I remember your collaborations with Marcy and her husband (he played the banjo, I think I remember) ... What happened to them? Marcy spoke Spanish ...

What a pleasure to hear such high quality music! as someone on the forum once wrote, "If this doesn’t make you wanna distill Moonshine and run from the law, I don’t know what will"...
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    An object lesson in how to deliver a great old-time tune, Michael. Your return to the SAW group has been inspiring.
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great! Amazing! Beautiful!
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The time may be old, but never your music. And the Library of Congress pics (are those the Little Rascals?) stay young forever.
  7. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    I loved everything about this Michael! But I really liked the sweetness you put in your voice for this one! Who needs a band, back-up singers, studio,ect.., not Michael!
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Delicious Michael, like a lemon meringue with strawberries and sprinkled mint on top! Nice images too.

-and I can see it now, a Frank/Michael singing harmony duet.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Simon, that could be the dessert served after Frank's rabbits.
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I'm going to get a Kentucky mandolin and a Simon and Patrick guitar.
    They seem to be the ticket to produce such wonderful music.
    Hmm...Do I have the talent or the great voice??
  11. bbcee
    bbcee
    I'll add to the love fest by saying that you get such a nice, chewy tone out of that humble (in other hands) Kentucky. The tempo's right swinging as well. Great to hear you singing!

I was wondering what happened to Marcy as well, I enjoyed her contributions. Your collaborations with her & her husband were really fine.
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I love this, Michael - in every respect. I like to play "In the Highways" at jams. Do you have a recording of that one?
  13. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    We used to identify which instruments were used in our recordings... I guess that's not a thing so much anymore. Anyway, just some thoughts on choosing the right instrument, one that's right for you... you HAVE to play it first. I know it's tempting to just order the eye candy from an online site, but that may be all you'll get, something that is pretty but doesn't sound good. (Even high end mandolins and guitars frequently have under performers among them! You have to try before you buy.) I selected my instruments on how they sounded not the brand name or how they looked! (All of them were previously owned as well.) And to get the right tone out of them they were played hard. After about thirty years of this they now know what to do. Search for your sound and keep at it! And then just play the heck out of them. Important tip: the setup and action can account for the difference between a dud and a keeper. I'm lucky in that I was a bandmate of a luthier and he showed me how to setup and repair my own instruments.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Bruce mentioned Marcy and her husband and I too often wonder what became of them. You had some great collaborations with them back then Michael. I have just checked back and noticed that it was in March 2014 that you and I did our collaboration on The Furrow's End. That was my first attempt at a transatlantic partnership and it was so much fun to do. Here is a link to the tune and your video you put together for it: https://youtu.be/lF2MmiZSIsc

15. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks for sharing, John. It was lovely.
  16. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    You can listen and see what Marcy and Jeff have been up to at their YouTube channel, Tin Cup Rattlers. It is mighty impressive. I also have a playlist of the Saw Mountain String Band on my YouTube channel, Stuche51, if you'd like a blast from the past! It has all of our collaborations that we posted.

John that was such a fun song to record with you... maybe it is time for another from the Left Coast Band.