Week #544 ~ Ragtime Annie

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This weeks winner is Ragtime Annie.

Here’s a link to notation on the session.org.

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely playing there Molly. In fact the whole group sounds great together.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Some great playing in those clips -- the first one is Michael Pastucha, longtime member of this group. haven't seen him for a while - are you still here, Michael?

These are all played at pretty blistering speed, which isn't necessarily appropriate for a ragtime tune (which are often quite slow). Here's a very old one of mine, recorded almost exactly ten years ago on my resonator tenor guitar at a more sedate speed:

Martin
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What great versions, all three! Good to see a posting of Michael Pastucha here. It is so long since he has been active on the SAW Group. Hillary not only plays an incredible fiddle, but just watch her dance routine while she plays! Nobody should be allowed to be that talented.
  5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Enjoyed the sound of the resonator on this tune, Martin.

Here's another cross-continent collaboration between Bruce and me. We switched up instruments this time with Bruce taking the mandolin (on his new/used Rigel) and I'm playing my oval hole Old Wave octave. Bruce provided some footage of him snorkeling. So maybe this should be called Maritime Annie. We sure are having fun doing these long distance recordings. Bass is by iRealPro as usual.

https://youtu.be/sIB4hnmvYrw

6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That is a powerful sound out of your resonator, Martin. Interesting listening to you on this one and then your very recent postings, with the ten year gap between.

Don and Bruce, what a great combined sound you have there, both of you. You bring the tune alive and that ragtime rhythm is just spot-on.
  7. bbcee
    bbcee
    I really like the sound of that resonator too, Martin. The color scheme is terrific as well!

Thanks John, I think the tune really lifts off when Don gets cranking on that octave mando. Fun was had, in and out of the water.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Don and Bruce – you turn out as a great team for these collaborations. There is a good ragtime feeling in the playing of both of you.
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John, Bruce and Don. I like the reso tenor as well, although maybe not so much my playing on this tune back then -- it could do with a bit more swing and pulse. I'll try again if I get around to it this week, but I won't be able to match the drive and energy of Don's and Bruce's wonderful collaboration!

Martin
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Three fine versions of group members:
    Michael slides and double-stops hie way through the tune.
    Martin introduces a reonator tenor guitar.
    Don and Bruce deliver the perfect soundtrack to Bruce's snorkeling adventures.
  11. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks for the comments, Frithjof Martin and Christian!
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    How on earth did I miss this? AND it’s a tune a week tune.

Great playing as usual Martin.
    Thanks Don and Bruce, highly motivating fine technical and yet fun playing, and makes me realise I have get a nice mandolin!
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Bruce and Don, that is AWESOME! And I don't use that word often. The playing, sound quality and video footage are all first class. Watching and listening to this has upgraded my Friday evening. Thank you.
  14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Yes, Martin, I'm still alive and actively playing music. Thanks for remembering my mandolin efforts John & Martin. I recently revisited all of my recorded songs and remixed them. So now that I have my recording studio working again (and my original computer) I'm getting the itch to start recording after a four year vacation from it all! Hopefully I'll get busy and post some tunes...

Christian, yep that's my sloppy style... sliding and double stops – 'cause you're only half a fret from a good note and the more strings you play the louder you get!

Nice job Don & Bruce!!!
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Michael, great to see you posting here again. So good too that you will be posting here again at some time.
  16. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Michael!!!!!!!! nice to see ya...
  17. bbcee
    bbcee
    Michael, great to have you back, and thank you for the kind words! I definitely listened to your version for inspiration.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes, great version Michael, I tabbed out the first part, it seems like a simpler version than some I’ve heard, and then I realised that ‘less is more’, I’ve been trying mimic all the little slides and accents! Thanks.
  19. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Hey Michael, great to see you back on the SAW group. I've been inspired by your playing over the years here. Looking forward to seeing you post some tunes again.
  20. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    This is my take on this classic. Inspired by Michaels' version I've worked on this a little. And still sped it up, oh well... Thanks for the listen!
  21. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice! There is a playfulness to your playing here and I really like the swing you put in. Thanks... Shave and a haircut, two bits!
  22. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
  23. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Another fine piece Frank, great rolling style.
  24. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Love the arrangement, as well as the execution.
  25. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    smashing tune , well played by all, i just tried it there and my Irish trad head couldn't make head nor tail of it
  26. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks Folks! I can get rolling OK, I just can't seem to find the brakes. I have the same problem with bikes!