Week #219 ~ Dance All Night With a Bottle in Your Hand

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Dance All Night with a Bottle in Your Hand, which was submitted as an OT tune. I am unfamiliar with this tune.

I found these You Tube Videos:

From the Fiddler's Companion:

DANCE ALL NIGHT. AKA‑ “Dance All Night with a Bottle in Your Hand,” "Danced All Night With a Bottle in My Hand," "Give the Fiddler a Dram," "Give Me a Bottle of I Don't Care What." Old‑Time, Breakdown. USA: West Virginia, Virginia, western North Carolina, north Georgia, Alabama, Nebraska. G Major (most versions): D Major (Silberberg). Standard tuning. AB (Silberberg): AABB (Brody, Christeson, Phillips) or AABAACCB (Kuntz, Brody). Guthrie Meade thinks the tune has some relation to "Buffalo Gals." Rosenbaum (1989) points out that the recording by Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers for Columbia was very influential, especially in Georgia (in fact, the melody is known as a north Georgia tune). His source, Georgian Lawrence Eller, learned the tune/song from family tradition and Rosenberg concludes (apparently on the strength of the floating verse about hanging Jefferson Davis) from this that the lyrics bespeak Unionist loyalties in parts of the southern Appalachians.

Dance All Night with a bottle in my hand,

Bottle in my hand, bottle in my hand;

Dance All Night with a bottle in my hand,

Just before day give the fiddler a dram.

I left my jawbone sittin' on a fence,

I ain't seen nothin' of my jawbone since;

Walked on home and didn't get along,

In come Sally with her big boots on.

(‘big boots’, ‘red dress’ or ‘blue dress’)

Who's been here since I been gone?

Pretty little girl with the red dress on;

She took it off and I put it on,

In come Sally with her big boots on. (Kuntz)

Dance all night with a bottle in your hand,

Bottle in your hand, bottle in your hand,

Dance all night with a bottle in your hand,

As we to marching along.

We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree,

Sour apple tree, sour apple tree,

Hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree,

As we go marching along.

Old Aunt Peggy, won't you fill 'em up again,

Fill 'em up again, fill 'em up again,

Old Aunt Peggy, won't you fill 'em up again,

As we go marching along. (Eller/Rosenbaum)

Sources for notated versions: Highwoods String Band (Ithica, N.Y.) [Brody, Kuntz]; Bob Walters (Burt County, Nebraska) [Christeson]; Lawrence Eller (Towns County, Ga.) [Rosenbaum]; Clark Kessinger (W.Va.) [Phillips]; Phil and Vivian Williams (Seattle) [Silberberg]. Brody (Fiddler’s Fakebook), 1983; pg. 84. Christeson (Old Time Fiddlers Repertory, vol. 1), 1973; pg. 104. Kuntz (Ragged but Right), 1987; pg. 305‑306. Phillips (Traditional American Fiddle Tunes), vol. 1, 1994; pg. 97 (appears as "Give the Fiddler a Dram"). Rosenbaum (Folk Visions and Voices: Traditional Music and Song in North Georgia), 1989; pg. 20. Silberberg (Tunes I Learned at Tractor Tavern), 2002; pg. 33. Alcazar Dance Series ALC‑202, Sandy Bradley ‑ "Potluck and Dance Tonite!" (1979). Columbia 15200 (78 RPM), Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers. County 401, "The Stripling Brothers" (Ala.). County 727, John Ashby (Va.) ‑ "Old Virginia Fiddling." County 733, Clark Kessinger (Va.) ‑ "The Legend of Clark Kessinger." County 778, Tommy Jarrell (N.C.) ‑ "Pickin' on Tommy's Porch" (1984?). Folkways FA 2336, Clark Kessinger‑ "Fiddler." Gennett 6734 (78 RPM), Tweedy Brothers (Harry, George, Charles, from W.Va. who played twin fiddles and piano) {1928}. Marimac 9038, Dan Gellert & Brad Leftwich -"A Moment in Time." Rounder 0045, Highwoods String Band ‑ "Dance All Night." Rounder Records, Gid Tanner and His Skillet Lickers ‑ "The Kickapoo Medecine Show" (appears as the 2nd and 3rd tune of Kickapoo Medecine Show skit). Vocalion 5395 (78 RPM), Stripling Brothers (Ala.) {1929}.

X:1
    T:Dance All Night
    L:1/8
    M:2/4
    S:Kuntz – Ragged but Right
    K:D
    gg/a/ gd/c/|B/G/B/G/ [GB]B|A/G/F/E/ D/F/A/c/|B/[G/B/][G/B/][G/B/] [GB]>(f|
    g/)a/g/g/ g/e/d/c/|B/G/B/[G/B/] [GB]B/G/|A/B/A/F/ D/F/A/c/|B/G/[G/B/][G/B/] [G2B2]:|
    gg/a/ g/e/d/e/|g/f/g/a/ b>(e|f)f/g/ a/f/a/g/|f/e/f/g/ a/f/d/f/|gg/a/ g/e/d/e/|g/f/g/a/ b(b|
    d’)d’ e<f|g>a g||
    |:G/E/|D[B,/D/]D/ D/B,/D/G/|[C/E/]E/E/E/ [CE](A|A/)[A/B/][A/A/]F/ D/F/A/c/|
    B/G/[G/B/][G/B/] [GB]G/E/|D[B,/D/]D/ D/B,/D/G/|E/[CE]C/ E(A|
    A/)[A/B/][A/A/]F/ D/F/A/c/|B/[GB]G/ [GB}:|

-------

I'm not sure this is the same tune, but I see in the description that another name is Give the Fiddler A Dram, and I found this link on abcnotation.com

If anyone has any more links, that would be great! I have a house full of family, and this is the first time I've even been on the computer for days!
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's another great version...

3. laura809
    laura809
    Here is some sheet music with tablature.
    http://mandolinsessions.com/?p=443
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    I went with Wendy Anthony's version played on a Savannah.
  5. laura809
    laura809
    Good start Maudlin!
  6. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Here is what I came up with.

7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice Monroe-style conversion - excellent!
  8. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Nice playing Maudlin and I love that Monroe style version from youTimothy...

Here's my attempt... Always tricky to sing with a mandolin

9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nicely played and sung Hendrick - it's two tunes for the price of one this week.
  10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Sasquatch! That is a cool bluegrassy version. I like it a lot.
    Good one, Hendrick! Your singing and picking are excellent and very old-timey on this tune!
    And, Maudlin, that's a really happy version with a lot of bounce to it.
    Here's a quick once-through from Jeff and me.

11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent work there, Marcy and Jeff, you keep 'em coming every week. Here's mine, based on that Chance McCoy track Michael posted:

I'm not reading it off the tab, by the way - that sheet is just some Bach that I can't play.
  12. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    OT-Duo Marcy and Jeff, you did a good job there. You two seem a little addicted to the SAW group like me. Every week I plan to stop for a while but there is something that keeps me going
    Again an amazing performance David! You must have good ears to filter this tune out of that McCoy track... A good job though, thanx for that cool mandolin version. My inspiration came from Tim O'Brien, he mixed "Oh Suzanna" with our week#219 tune.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES8uvSliiwE
  13. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    I am loving all the versions of this song. OldSausage, your take is primo! Marcelyn, I really enjoy the OT Duet sound. You all inspire me to learn and expand.
  14. laura809
    laura809
    Sasquatch, that was a really original arrangement, and it did sound very much like a Monroe style. Luurtie, nice vocal arrangement.
    Marcy and Jeff, that was another excellent performance from your duo. OS, great as usual. I particularly liked the way you started doing the quickly strummed chords part way through.
    I took advantage of the easy chord progression and enlisted my daughter to play this one with me. We took it at a nice easy tempo.
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice job, Laura's daughter. Oh, Laura, you weren't bad either
  16. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    So cool, Laura! Tell your daughter she's got great rhythm. It's fun to see how proud she is at the end of the clip. You're a great teacher.
    David, that was really amazing.
  17. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Lovely Laura and daughter, nothing can beat playing music together. It sounds nice too. I had an Epiphone mm30 once too, I wish I'd never sold it, it was a fine playing and sounding mandolin.
  18. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Great stuff, Laura and daughter. Now you have a rythmn player in the family you won't have to bother wih overdubs any more.
  19. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Laura, that was simply wonderful! Precious moments to always remember. Your daughter may be the next Sierra Hull Just too cool!
  20. CaseyMullen
    CaseyMullen
    Not my best performance, but definitely my most enthusiastic audience...
  21. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What a great old time sound!
  22. Kevin B
    Kevin B

I came across this tune which I learned a basic version of years ago. I learned it from a site called madosessions.com. They also had a uke sessions site. Anybody know what happened to them?
    Anyway, I hope you like my simple version played on tenor guitar with GDAE tuning.
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing and a good, clear tone from your tenor, Kevin.
  24. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like this tune Kevin and the sound of your tenor guitar. I looked it up on Amazon after your last YT post - are some calling it a baritone uke?
  25. Kevin B
    Kevin B
    It is a Kmise tenor guitar. A tenor neck on a baritone uke body. Steel strings. Very versatile instrument and I am enjoying it.