Texas Gals (Gales)

1. bbcee
    bbcee
    I was listening to the Blake and Rice album a bit ago, and this one really caught my ear. I didn't realize what a classic it is. I see it's been nominated, but never was a SoW.

The first time around is somewhat based on that version, played on octave-strung mandola and Mandolin Cafe T-shirt and second time around is based on a Mike Strangeland TEF, found somewhere, on my Ludewig mandolin. iReal Pro backing track.

The second part was a real challenge, and took a while to get it down. Enjoy!

2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s fun to listen to, Bruce. I especially like your octave-strung mandola.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I quite liked this tune Bruce !! I am confused as to which YT channel to go to..did you start a new one?
  4. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks Ginny & Frithjof!

Ginny, thanks for pointing that out - I've mistakenly posted this and a couple of others to my other channel, which I normally use for work stuff. I'll get this sorted tomorrow.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine tune and playing, Bruce. As Frithjof says, the octave tuning gives a different sound here. Is it octave on the C and G strings or all four courses?
  6. Bren
    Bren
    Great stuff Bruce. That's the kind of playing that can make a T-shirt grow sleeves.
  7. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks John & Bren. I'm enjoying the quality of sound the octave stringing affords. It's the C & G strings that are in octaves, the D & A are still in unison. And it's true, Bren, my T-shirt started out as a tank-top!
  8. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Really nice smooth playing, Bruce. Great job on the mandola and you make the Ludewig mandolin speak right out on this tune. This is one I never learned, but you've inspired me to learn it. Hey, if Norman and Tony played it, it's worth learning.