Week #40 ~ Hector the Hero

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm announcing the winner a little early this week, as I've got to go run some errands.

This week's winner is Hector the Hero, another tune I don't know!

Here is a link to it on www.thesession.org

Here is the abc from thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Hector The Hero
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Dmaj
    (DE|:{E}F4) ((3E/2F/2E/2 D)|(B2(3cBA) F2 |( A6| A4) (DE|{E}F4) ((3E/2F
    /2E/2 D)|B3 (DF)D |(E4 F2|E4) "Coda"(DE|
    {E}F4) ((3E/2F/2E/2 D)|(B2(3cBA) F2|A (D3 E2)|F (d3 (3BcB) |"(4 Slide)"(A D3) ((3FGF|E4){FE}(D2|(D6|[1D4) (DE):|[2D3 ((3A/2B/2c/2 d) c|]
    ~B3 G B2|(d3 (3c/2d/2c/2)~ B2 |(A6|A4) B2|A4 (FG)|"(4 Slide)"(A D3) E-F|
    (E6|"(2nd Time to Coda)"E3)((3A/2B/2c/2 d) c|~B3 G B2|
    (d3 (3c/2d/2c/2) ~B2|A D3-E2|F (d3 (3BcB)|"(4 Slide)"(A D3) ((3FGF|E4) {
    F
    E}D2|(D6|[1D3) ((3A/2B/2c/2 d) c:|]

However, this seems rather hard, I found this in the comments section for it simply in G

X: 1
    T: Hector The Hero
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Gmaj
    GA|B3 AG2|e3 dB2|d6-|d4 GA|B3 AG2|e3 dB2|A6-|A4 GA|
    B3 AG2|e3 dB2|d3 GA2|B g3 e2|d3 GB2|A4 G2|G6-|G4:|
    Bd|e3 fe2|g3 fe2|d6-|d4 Bd|e3 dB2|d3 GB2|A6-|A4 Bd|
    e3 fe2|g3 fe2|d3 GA2|B g3 e2|d3 GB2|A4 G2|G6-|G4:|

I gotta run, so if anyone else can contribute tab, notation, etc, please do!
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here's an audible preparation...

And some reading stuff.
  3. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Here is one with some Mandolin content

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKrv8bVjns
    i learned the tune from this one
    BTW i can't do the tremolo part, even close
    Michael
  4. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    The first ABC Barbara posted doesn't run well on my .tef viewer.
    Michael
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Bertram, thx for the link, sad story.
    Michael
  6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Poor old Hector, a sad end. The right advice is always "Don't be a hero". I'll never look at a jar of Camp Coffee the same way again. I'm playing my Summit on this one for a change.

7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    OS that was great. You really have a knack for coming up with interesting and very musical arrangements. That was wonderful playing.
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks David, that makes me feel good, as I would say the same of you. I borrowed some of the ideas from a version I found on iTunes by a band called Jameson's Revenge.
  9. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    OS, you really rocked that one, VERY cool. love those slides
    Michael
  10. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    OS, great arrangement, great playing.
    Here is my version, as always on my Eastman 815.
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sounding very good, Manfred.
  12. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Well, I am not so sure. I had one set of Elixirs left and put them on recently. But meanwhile I like the FT-74s better and will go back to them soon.
    Thanks for your encouragement.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Manfred, that was really very good, excellent arrangement and masterful tremolo. Nice playing.
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    What a sad story - I guess dancing the Gay Gordon can be detrimental...
  15. Chuck Naill
    Here is my fiddle version, http://www.box.net/shared/ydkprgvi8p
  16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice Chuck, I enjoyed that.
  17. Jim Kirkland
    Jim Kirkland
    Good job Chuck, how did an East TN guy learn to play the fiddle that slow? I will be in your part of the woods this fall. I am planning on staying in Tellico Plains at least 6 weeks. I will contact you and we will get together and do a few tunes and swap a few stories.
  18. Eddie Sheehy
    I decided to try out my Scout Mandola...

19. SweetTea
    SweetTea
    If anyone is interested here is another tab I found for Hector the Hero. I hope to learn and post this tune by the end of the week.

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tab/tab6/hect.html
  20. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Since I suggested this one I should probably post,
    Disclaimer: Only been playing for 2 months and this is the first piece I learned so be gentle
    Disclosure: Much as I admire the way OS does those slides, the slides i do in bars 12 and 30 were totally mistakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrL5mSlcZNA

I followed the 2nd tab Barbara pasted but moved it up (down??) one string to play in Dmaj instead of Gmaj, i feel the lower tone was a bit sadder, owing to the theme of the piece.

Thanks
    Michael
  21. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great!
    You must have practiced day and night for two months.

What kind of mandolin is that?
  22. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    Nice job Michael! I wasn't anywhere near what you've done at 2 months with the mandolin.

OS, Manfred - very nice as usual.

I was working on my dirge version and realized that I cut off a good third of the finger board in the video so have to rerecord. After my flip recharges, that is.

This is a very nice tune.
  23. SweetTea
    SweetTea
    Well here is my simple version of Hector the Hero.

24. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Sweet soundin' Mandola, Eddie, great job, & David & Sweettea, too.
    Thanks for the kind words!!!
    Manfred, I am playing a 1918 Weymann bowl-back which i won on e-Bay and turned out the seller was a pawn shop here in town. the $ i saved on shipping went to a local luthier to give it some much needed TLC. today i noticed some dead leaves in the body, hope it's not a controled substance
    but, in 1918 there were not too many controled substances. LOL
    Michael
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Substances, yes, controlled, no!
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, I got totally carried away on this one! I recorded myself playing rhythm on my cittern, but in the end, my rhythm playing is more of a detriment than a benefit, so I muted that track.

What this ended up being is on the fly 3 part harmony on 3 tracks on my Petersen cittern.

27. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Barbara, absolutely fabulous! great harmonies. You even captured your whole face this time, your mac skills are growing daily
    Michael
  28. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    My version. This is on a new Weber Custom Vintage A mandocello. I am new to the mandocello and it shows - I'm a little uncertain on the fretting. However, I believe I'd play this tune in the same dirgelike fashion even when I get a little better on the instrument.

29. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Barbara and DJ, Very nice and stately.
    If I were not so busy learning the mandolin, I would probably look into one of these beautifully-sounding instruments as well.
  30. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    DJ, awesome mandocello... tell us about it... how is it tuned?
  31. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    Thanks Barbara.

It's a Weber Custom Vintage A, and it's tuned in standard MC tuning CGDA. It's my new baby. Hopefully by about September, I'll be ready to join the mandocello section of the Minnesota Mandolin Orchestra.

Dotty
  32. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    DJ, very nice. really like the low tone of that MC.
    Michael
  33. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Man, didn't look here for two days and already so many good versions!

Barb, I am assuming that resembles what Hector MacDonald heard and saw when he went to heaven...

I am still practising, because I have - surprise! - a few doublestops in my rendition.
  34. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Introducing the breathtaking new multimusician polyperson single-take recording technique featuring Regina Henze on Low Whistle:

Inadvertently, she overheard me practising, liked the tune and insisted on playing it with me...
  35. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Bertram and Regina, that was lovely. Regina, please join in more often.

DJ, the tone of your new mandocello is wonderful, nice playing too.
  36. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Bertram & Regina, fantastic. Keep up the duets!
  37. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, that was great! Where you been hiding Regina? Regina... insist on playing with Bertram on these videos more often....
  38. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    I second Barbara's request. Great stuff, Bertram and Regina.
  39. Eddie Sheehy
    Ultra cool.
  40. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all for your kind comments, and regards from Regina. It was fun to do this, and we hope to do it more often. Meanwhile, you'll have to make do with our listening stuff
  41. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Bertram & Regina, thanks so much for the link, just wonderful music
    Michael
  42. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice job on Hector Bertram. Also, lots of good music at your link.
  43. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Bertram & Regina--I really enjoyed the music on your link. Beautiful.

DJ, your playing inspired me to get out my Santa Cruz mandocello. It's a slope shoulder flat top guitar body with pin bridge. Plays easily and I sure like the tone. This tune's a bit trickier than it first seems.

44. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    so many great versions! I'm particularly loving the mandocello offerings - Don's Santa Cruz is lovely sounding and DJ's new Weber is fantastic!
  45. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice Don, that thing has killer tone. I have always wondered what those Santa Cruz mandocellos sound like and now I know. I've had a Santa Cruz OM guitar for about 20 years and I really love it.
  46. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    was finally able to get Bertram and Regina's clip to load - AWESOME!
  47. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Jill and Keith for the kind words.

Don, you're right, that tune takes some time to settle despite its simple melody with many repetitions, especially if you fall for the temptation to use as many full chords as possible, which apparently happened to both of us..., and boy does it make the most of that 'cello!
  48. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi all,
    Here is an mp3 I have finally managed to upload of "Hector The Hero". http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...3&d=1265837991

I was having huge problems trying to upload, continually getting an "upload failed" message about half way through the process and had enlisted the help of Scott to try to solve this. I finally re-saved the mp3 as Hectorthehero.mp3 with no spaces in the title and this seems to have worked (?)

Instruments are my JK Octave, a Lowden O32 guitar on two tracks with one track capoed at 9th fret and one in open position, and the cello again - a free vst download called cellofan. Recorded using Reaper software on my laptop. Will try to link to the Google player next time, Barbara, but going a step at a time just now! Thanks again for all your help in getting this mp3 on to the group.
  49. dj coffey
    dj coffey
    Bertram and Regina, I agree - AWESOME.

Don, I like your Santa Cruz MC and your rendition. Fun to hear another mandocellist's take on the tune.
  50. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks DJ!

Lovely rendition, John.
    "re-saved the mp3 as Hectorthehero.mp3 with no spaces in the title and this seems to have worked (?)" This is quite plausible to me. Web URLs are not supposed to have spaces, but you can use spaces in URLs if you encode them as unicode characters (e.g. blank is %20). Some upload mechanisms will automatically encode spaces in your file names, others don't - you never know.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast