The Minstrel Boy

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is one of the best-known Irish songs, written by Thomas Moore (1779–1852) to a traditional Irish tune, The Moreen. Harmonies on my arrangement are by The Ottawa Fiddle Ensemble:

http://www.alfwarnock.info/ofe/pdf/52.pdf

I'm playing it an an instrumental trio of mandolin, bouzouki/octave mandolin and tenor guitar.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I was in the wayback machine looking for something else... and I came across your version of the Minstrel Boy. Great harmonies and nice instrumentation. I seem to recall this tune as a song of the week, but your version is all by its lonesome. This is one of your best!
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s the SAW page for this tune: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...cussionid=1849
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I agree with Michael, I think this is one of your best videos, Martin. I wasn't sure where to post this, I think think the other thread is the same tune, right? Well I'll post this over there too so Michael won't be lonely. I was going to do some harmonies but I'm lazy and not very good at harmony any way.

5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for the kind words, Michael and David. The reason that there are no replies here is that I should have posted it in the official thread for this tune, and did so shortly afterwards, so that's where the replies are. I like the harmonies I got from Alf Warnock on that one, especially in the middle verse where I play the harmony line above the melody.

Martin
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Martin – that’s a real fine rendition!
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice David and Martin and Michael. In this post, I like all the instruments that David lines up to produce a layered rendition that sounds full and grand.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one once again, Mr Hansen! Equally, Martin.