White Rose Waltz

1. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Here's another beauty by J.P.Fraley. Thanks for the Listen!
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You are fast becoming The Waltz King, Frank! Johann Strauss about to lose his crown? Another fine delivery.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Another fine waltz, Frank -- and another fine J.P. Fraley tune I hadn't heard before.

I might give this one a go. The only transcription seems to be this ABC:

X: 1
    T:White Rose Waltz
    M:3/4
    Z:Posted by Tony Ludiker 11/98
    K:D
    FE|"D"D2F3D|"A7"E2G3E|"D"F2A3F|"G"G2B3B|
    "D"A2d3d|d2e2f2|"A7"e4-ef|e4FE|
    "D"D2F3D|"A7"E2G3E|"D"F2A3F|"G"G2B3B|
    "D"A2d3d|"A7"c2f2e2|"D"d4-de|d6||
    "Bb"d6|"F"=c3d=c2|"Bb"_B3=c_BG|=F6|
    "Bb"d6|"F"=c3d=c2|"Bb"_B3=c_B2|"A7"A4FE|
    "D"D2F3D|"A7"E2G3E|"D"F2A3F|"G"G2B3B|
    "D"A2d3d|"A7"c2f2e2|"D"d4-de|d4||

Martin
  4. John W.
    John W.
    Keep ‘em comin’ Frank…good to see you are getting your money’s worth out of that new mando…
  5. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great mix of playing techniques, Jason!
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for this new to me waltz, Frank.

And thanks, Martin, for the faithful service to deliver us ABC (or links and background to a tune in other occasions).
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here is my attempt at this lovely waltz, using the tenor guitar as lead instrument, with mandolin doubling an octave higher on the repeat.

Vintage Viaten tenor guitar (x2)
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin

https://youtu.be/6KqZrTJTZ-k

As you can see, I am still experimenting camera position and angle. This one I think is more flattering than my last few, but still gives a good view of the instrument being played.

Martin
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Martin, you did a fine job with the Tab you have, and the tenor sounded nice here. But the tab is inherently flawed, with a chorus that is just wrong. With all due respect, that's my main problem with tabs posted by " who knows". Do like new the camera angle.
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frank. Fair enough -- I was thinking when I played it that the B part didn't sound right. Learning tunes by ear is something I have tried and failed over the years, but I'll try to ave a close listen to your and to JP's renditions to see if I can fix that.

Martin
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Respect Martin, that the strange B-part didnt deter you. Sounds interesting in your recording, but harmonically a little bit too advanced for a simple folk waltz.
    Frank plays this waltz in C and I hear C E7 F C during the first 4 measures of the B-part.
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian. I also think the what's in the ABC is an interesting four-bar phrase to start the B part, but listening to what JP (and Frank) play it has plainly no relation to what Fraley actually wrote. Not a transcription error, just completely different. As you say, harmonically quite fancy, too. The sort of think John Goodin would throw into his waltzes.

Martin
  12. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I took a mixed approach to this waltz: I took the converted ABC as a basis, but listened to some fiddlers and changed the sheet music a bit_
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice version, Christian.
  14. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks so much for the beautiful remarks All!
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Your recording sounds good, Christian.
    (Can’t take part on the discussion concerning the B-part.)