Week #172 ~ Sweet Georgia Brown

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week was a close one! The winner is Sweet Georgia Brown, which was submitted as a swing tune.

Here's a link to info on Wikipedia

Here's a You Tube video:

Here's a link to some notation.

That's all I have time for! Any more input would be great!
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's a link on the main board to Swing Tunes. Click on the attachment in the first post from Don Julin and d/l the tunes - Sweet Georgia is one of them.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...11#post1062911

good luck!
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    I have a cool rendition of it from the Jim Richter camp, but it's an MP3 and I have no idea how to get it here
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Doc & Dawg!

5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Eddie thanks for the link. Here's my short and simple version.

6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played Mr. Hansen! The sound of the recording is just great,especially on the mandolin. Thank you.
  7. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Superb sound, David, and your playing is not exactly simple ...
  8. Kadenza910
    Kadenza910
    Alright here's my first mandolin video. This is only the second day that I have played the instrument so I need all the advice I can get haha. In particular, how do I avoid the choppy sound and let the strings ring out more?

David, I love your playing! It's an inspiration to me. Great job with the tune.
  9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really great first mando clip Katie. As someone who also came to mandolin from fiddle, I think the issue of ringing notes is first a matter of practicing clean fretting which fiddlers have no experience with. And even when you get the mechanics of your left hand down cleanly, smooth playing is also the challenge of leaving your fretting finger on the string as long as possible and mentally imagining each note flowing seamlessly into the next. Depending on which style you're aiming to play in, there are several ornaments that help smooth out the choppiness. For example, in OT, you can use slides, double stops and drones just like a fiddler would. IT players use triplets and drones a lot I've noticed. But even with all this, the mandolin is going to be more choppy than a violin, that's why a lot of us call in for back up with guitars, banjos, etc.
    Wow, David what a swinging version you have there. If you're going to have to follow Doc and the Dawg, that's the way to do it.
  10. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Mr Hansen, that was simply magnificent. I have been inpsired to give this one a whirl now. Thank you!

Kadenza, keep up the good work. You will be amazed at how quickly your playing style and tone matures. Having these videos as a snapshot of your progress is a really useful tool as you won't necessarily notice the gradual day to day improvements that you will make.
  11. WayneLetang
    WayneLetang
    I always liked this tune, got it memorized but every time I went to record last night with my blackberry playbook I ggoofed up..lol... hoping to soon have something to post.... Wayne
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    Here we go... oops, forgot the bass soundratck... and no breaks/leads... yet...

13. Francis J
    Francis J
    This is a tune which is probably in everybody's head, but transferring it to the fingers isn't as simple as you'd think. Three great versions there, all very different, Eddie, hope that leg is mending ok.
  14. laura809
    laura809
    David, that was a very nice arrangement and excellent playing. Kadenza, you are off to a great start. Learning mandolin should be a lot easier with your violin background. I started contributing weekly to the song a week forum around a year ago. It has really helped me progress on the instrument. Do you happen to know of anything similar for a beginner on fiddle? I got one a couple months ago, but I still haven't motivated to play it much. Eddie, you should give us the tour of your instruments. Is that a mandolin, mandola, and OM in there?

I really enjoyed learning this one. I played it straight the first time through, then improvised, then played the melody with improv mixed together.
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job there Laura, nice work on the improvisation.
  16. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Excellent first video Katie hope to see more from you. David Eddie and Laura all up to your usual high standards.
    This guitar arrangement is by Will Fly and can be found on his website.
  17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's Sweet Georgia Brown with Texas swing backup on both the guitar and mandolin! I recorded the backup first at what seemed a nice tempo only to find when I came to overdub the lead mandolin that it was moving along rather briskly... so a few days practice and here it is... last two times thru the mandolin was improvising.

https://youtu.be/yRYCWC8lMx4

Eddie, David, Laura, Katie and Maudlin: Well done!
  18. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Michael.

Unbelievably good, my mandolin is going into the fireplace...
  19. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Hey woodenfingers don't burn the mandolin... think of all the global warming gasses that would be released! Instead, I've heard that a mandolin also makes a very nice canoe paddle. Seriously, don't ever give up playing. I joined my first bluegrass band in 1972 as the mandolin player and didn't even have a mandolin or know how to play one. It's been 40 years since then and I still get the same thrill at learning a new song... it just takes less time now because of all the practice I've put in.
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Stuche, David Hansen, and OS are pretty much gods in this forum. Huddle with the rest of us and strive for their perfection... and each of them shares tips and techniques to make our struggle easier...
  21. justkaron
    justkaron
    Never cease being amazed by this group. WOW!
  22. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    OK, it was too warm last night to get the fireplace going so I'll keep practicing for 40 years. Problem now is that at that point I'll be 101 and probably need help just picking it up. Back in the 70s I got a guitar and was playing folk and bluegrass with friends in University but that declined after moving for work. I played fiddle for a decade in the 90s but never got it sounding right. Started on the mandolin (eastman 515) about a year ago after retiring because it was tuned like a fiddle, but had frets, and I just love it and play it everyday. Can't play chords on it to any great extent yet but I can wail away on it fairly well and work in an occasional double stop. I've been picking up some of the songs a week and learning them and thoroughly love listening to all the versions here. Some day I'll see if I can record one for the group.

BTW: Here's one of my favourite versions of Sweet Georgia Brown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ThSi1wbqU
  23. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Kadenza, this must be an all time record posting a video on the second day of playing the mando. Very well done.
    Laura, another proof of your amazing musicianship.
    Michael, great swinging mandolin. Also like the sound of your guitar accompaniment. I can recognize your playing out ouf chord positions, but will need several more years to figure out how to apply this to my playing.
    Eddie, great job on multiple instruments.
  24. justkaron
    justkaron

Still workin' on it. Love this tune.
  25. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice job!
  26. justkaron
    justkaron
    Thanks Michael. I only have about a gazillion miles more to go with my playin' but you always are one, along with others here, who keep me inspired to keep workin'.

Tomorrow will be my 11 month anniversary of beginning to learn...and hoping a couple more years will give me enough to enjoy playing.

Well...to tell the truth....I already enjoy it ... maybe others will begin to in a couple more years.
  27. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    This is my version of Sweet Georgia, with a midi backing track. I'm not improvising yet, but I'm working on it.

28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I enjoyed this one, Jairo. An old favourite and you play it well here and it transfers well to the mandolin. The backing track works well and your repeating end phrase is a nice touch.
  29. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Jairo, that’s a nice one, too.
  30. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Thanks John and Frithjof, you are very kind gentlemen!
  31. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    John, you don't use the tremolo often, but you are a complete musician who makes exquisite music! and Frithoff, please us with more mandolin and concertina!
  32. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Jairo, nice playing and I really like these different tunes.
  33. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well, I found out that this tune is from at least as early as 1925, so I've decided to repost the thing as it is in the public domain. I've played it on a mandolin with the guitar and 2nd mandolin playing swing chords. Hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/yRYCWC8lMx4
  34. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    LOve it Michael! One of my favorite tunes I forgot I knew. You put that together and played, I don't know,,, pretty darn perfect.
  35. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Excellent Michael, I went running for my bass to play along. I even went and tried to find my original video but I think it got lost in my HD crash a few years back.
  36. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks guys! What a jam we could have...
  37. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Absolutely super, Michael. I really enjoyed your improvised soloing on this one and the great chordal backing.
  38. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Outstanding, Michael. Too many things to say WoW about - just all around a great production !
  39. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes wonderful performance Michael, I have to try and learn at least a couple of your techniques of embellishment. A marvel to listen to.
  40. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great, Michael. My first thought was "Dango..."
  41. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks John... but my solos for this song weren't improvised or off the cuff! What happens is that I learn the melody for the first break and then play it "straight". For the other breaks I work out what I am going to play in advance (the variations) and then memorize these breaks so that they sound effortless. Finally, the last time through I return to the head of the tune (the basic melody that is) to bring it on home! I believe that the majority of improvised breaks are probably arranged in this manner. Some of the jazz giants could truly improvise off the cuff, but for the rest of us we have to work them out first! It does get easier the more you do it however.
  42. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    So great to have you active again in the SAW group Michael. Wonderful playing on SGB. Now I want to join the Harlem Globe Trotters. (They used this as their theme music, remember that?)
  43. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Yes, I do remember the Harlem Globetrotters and their theme song! My dad was in the Air Force and the Globetrotters would play at the airbases, so I saw them a number of times as a kid. Meadowlark Lemon was my favorite! Thanks for bringing that memory back Don.
  44. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I think someone whistled it for their theme. Meadowlark Lemon was the best.
  45. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha

You're right... I looked it up and the song was recorded in 1949 by Brother Bones and His Shadows and used as the theme song for the Globetrotters... it was another time and another place, but both the music and the basketball are still super cool!

https://youtu.be/AuIgor5_PaQ
  46. bbcee
    bbcee
    Michael, thanks for that insight on how you construct your breaks. I'm relieved to know I'm on the right path and in good company. And half-court swish on your version!!