R: slip jig
    M: 9/8
    L: 1/8
    K: Dmaj
    |:D2 D FED FGA|D2 D FED Bcd|D2 D FED FGA|Bcd A2 G F2 D:|
    |:FGA AFA A3|FGA AFD Bcd|FGA AF/G/A AFD|Bcd A2 G FED:|
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Nice smooth rhythm Simon. Nice tempo too on this sweet little jig.
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    What a lovely wee slip jig that is Simon, and lovely playing as well!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What Ginny and Jill have just said, Simon! Cracking tune and playing.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks People!
    9/8 but you’re not wrong, it is a type of jig, Ginny
    I’m honoured by a comment from you Jill, thanks.
    One of my favourite nitrogen fixing plants, this is a dance-with-joy tune John!

I should add that I didn’t wear my big woollen sock over my right boot on this one.
  6. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Nice one Simon! I wish I could keep a beat like you!!!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh, but Frank, you have an enviable rubato!
  8. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great picking, Simon! Could it be, that in this video, your octave mandolin has a more colourful hue?
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Christian, yes, I noticed that hue shift once I’d uploaded the vid. The autumn sun here can be very orange when humidity is high.
    And for some reason when I upload a vid to YouTube now I don’t get an option to modify the colours, saturation etc.
    I have to do this with the iPhone app before going to the internet.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s fun to listen to, Simon. I like the strong beat – save the big woollen sock for occasions when the neighbors would possibly raise a complaint.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof, no real issues with my neighbour at present. Harrr!

Yes I love slip jigs. It’s as though every measure is a surprising phrase in an interesting story and you’re hanging onto the different meanings and marvelling at how the story fits together, and finding comfort in the dependable rhythm.
    -well, maybe it’s like that!
  12. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    tu as fait ma journée Simon! Merci !
  13. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great playing Simon
  14. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Lovely playing Simon. Sounds to me like tune to place in the middle of a set of three, building tension and then switching to something dramatic in A for the last one
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Lawrence and Harry, appreciated.
    And, yes, good idea, I might start doing more sets, with shifts to the fifth.
    I do also like the idea that each tune has it’s own thread, mainly so that if there’s any history about each tune it’ll all be put in the same place.
    I’ve actually never considered doing sets of some tunes I’ve already learned, but today’s always a good day to start.

And that’s just me, lots of other ideas around here too, you’ll surely find that we’re a happy mixed bunch on Song a Week!