Cavatina (Theme from "The Deer Hunter")

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    After recording the Troika dance from the wedding scene in The Deer Hunter, Ginny asked whether I would fancy playing the Cavatina from that movie. I had a quick look for transcriptions that might work for me, and found this nice lead sheet for violin with guitar/piano chords from Musescore:

https://musescore.com/user/29944739/scores/5849131

No dynamic marks, so I listened to John Williams and a few Youtube versions for tempo and dynamics, and to get the tune in my head.

This version is in A Major, and is entirely in first position in that key. Tenor guitar arpeggio backing, with some simplified chords (I'm not attempting an A11 chord on four strings!).

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you, Martin. I love how you have played this, it sounds very emotive with dynamics and grace. I may have to try this in the future. But I sure can't tremolo like that!
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds fine, even without an A11 chord. Geat tremolo as usual, Martin.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian and Ginny (also for your comments on Youtube). This is fun to play, and in this key it transfers pretty well to mandolin. The lead sheet from Musescore is useful, but it needs checking against recorded examples to get the phrasing right.

Martin
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a beautiful sounding delivery, Martin. Your arpeggio accompaniment on tenor guitar works great to support the melody.
  6. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    I have tried to make it sound less guitarist, as it is famous, and also that it sounded more like a whisper... sorry for these decisions.

the backing track is thanks to Biab...
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I really love this, Jairo. Very sensual and emotional - I would have been sobbing why playing...
  8. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Ginny, the movie Deer Hunter is one of the few in which I have sketched a sob ...
  9. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I like both of your versions... very nice!
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Jairo, a lovely version with your well-controlled tremolo. Good backing from Band-in-a-Box too.
  11. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Thanks John and ladies!
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Jairo -- that sounds very nice!

Also thanks to Frithjof and Kay -- glad you liked my interpretation. The tenor guitar arpeggios did need some work to fit the way I have played the melody, but it worked out in the end.

Martin