Tom Bawcock’s Eve

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Found this little gem in the October 1927 issue of The Old Cornwall Society Magazine.

https://youtu.be/G9AQvroRYVE
  2. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    That melody seems very familiar--can't quite place it though. Lovely playing with a nice bounce that fits the melody really well.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Don, I’m enjoying learning these Cornish tunes, they do have a certain flavour.

Here’s the CORNISH SESSION BOOK, that I’m going through.
    The tunes are all quite, what I’d call English Bouncy, reasonably simple, upbeat and carefree with definite melodic riffs for dance moves. Quite good for beginners to learn in that they demand a strong sense of timing and rhythm, and can be learned as groups of melodic riffs instead of just notes. However they do occasionally have slightly strange turns.

For example, melodically, they like to go up a fifth (a lot), say from the fourth up to the tonic or tonic up to the fifth.
    And then there’s the eight eighth note uniform descent to the tonic, a real favourite.

I like them too because as session tunes they really don’t sound good if played fast, so for better or worse pretty much everyone’s invited to play slowly together.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another wee gem, Simon. You are on a roll finding those less well-known tunes and you give them a very catchy beat.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John I should add that the tune comes from a real life, happy-in-the-end story of someone managing to get lots of food for his village.
    https://thesession.org/tunes/11161
    So the beat was easy!

Also, on a more personal note, my great grandfather’s name was Thomas Ball. He was a musician who played the fiddle, accordion and picolo.
    Unfortunately for Mr Ball, the name of the other side of his family was Cox.
    Anyway, old grandpa’s friends would often play, to their great amusement and his eternal chagrin, a tune that they called Balls and Cox.
    Was it Tom Bawcock’s?

...Ok, onward to the tunes again.
  6. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    You kept that really tight Simon! Nice job!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frank, it's actually quite a simple tune but I found the rhythm to be quite difficult.

I read the notation from the old Cornwall society magazine and I liked the fact that they had used to cut time and jig time in different parts in order to accentuate the dance moves.

Here’s the .abc file:
    X:1
    T: Tom Bawcock's
    C:The Old Cornwell Magazine oct 1927
    R: jig
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    K: Dmaj
    A,|D2F F3/2E/2F|D2F F3/2E/2F|A2G E2E|B2A FGA|
    D2F F3/2E/2F|D2F F3/2E/2F|A2G E2C|D3 D2A|
    |A2G E2A|B2A F2A|A2G EFG|F2 G A2d|
    D2F F3/2E/2F|D2F F3/2E/2F|A2G E2C|D3 Dz|