End of the Day

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s a reasonably well known Christian hymn.

2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice one Simon, is there an advantage to sticking the headstock out the window?
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nope, but it’s a nice melody.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nicely done, Simon. Solo and with guitar and added drone.
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like the way you have arranged this piece, Simon with the second part accompanied - and played it very nicely. I think David, that Simon keeps telling us how small his apartment is, so maybe he has to stick the headstock out the window so he has more room. Maybe a ukulele, Simon?
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice hymn melody, arranged and played formidablement, Simon!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks, maybe a banjo Ginny -if we see you in another vid Ginny.

And thanks Señor CC. I love the turn at the middle/end of the sort of B part of this tune.
    Actually it’s one of the songs we used to sing when I was about 9 years old, back in the 1960’s.
    -one of my teachers said, ‘it’s not a song, Young Simon, it’s a hymn’, and behind the teacher’s back a friend of mine made a gesture as though he was in agony, flaying his arms about wildly, playing an electric guitar. I laughed uncontrollably and got into a lot of trouble.
    ‘What were you laughing at?’ the straight teacher kept saying.
    But I didn’t know what.
    I didn’t know what an electric guitar was, I was simply laughing at the theatrics of it all.
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    That was beautiful Simon! I must say I've never heard a " Hymn" done like that, melody, cadance, and just the feel to me is different than the more traditional style here in the Northeast USA. But maybe you have to go to church to hear them. I ask because I like this style.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    It’s little-Welsh-church style Frank. (Sometimes the singing is more important)
  10. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Very nice, Simon!

Simon wrote: "it's a nice melody."

Agree.

It's apparently an old trad Irish folk melody, which someone years ago decided to name "Slane".

It's been used for lots of different hymns, including "Be Thou My Vision" (the one I've heard the most), and "Lord Of All Hopefulness".

Near as I can tell, the earliest known written instance of the *melody* is in the 1909 book "Old Irish Folk Music and Songs", where the melody is used for the song "With My Love on the Road" (PDF page 192, or if you're going by the book's own semi-useless page numbers it's 151).

Incidental notes about the aforementioned tunebook:

1. The book's *index* starts on the PDF's page 30. When you're looking up tunes listed in that index, just be aware that the book's original page-numbering system of course doesn't match the modern PDF page numbers which count everything including the front cover.

2. It's a large download (454-page book, which shows as 24 MB here) but it seems to work fine in the MobileSheetsPro app (NFI) which is what I'm using to look at it right now on my phone. Of course it also is readable in other standard PDF reader apps on computers or elsewhere.

3. The scan quality is quite bad on some pages, too light to read.

4. In the index and on the page numbers, some of the number 4's look like the number "1" instead, which adds further challenges to trying to look up tunes in that book. The number-readability issue is partly due to the lousy scan quality, and partly due to the fact that the original 1909 book used a completely stupid typeface whose numbers don't align vertically in a logical way (yes I'm aware that such typefaces were/are quite popular, but IMO it's still a poor choice to use in number-centric things like an index where readability should take precedence over style). So anyway, when you see what looks like a 1, it might be a 4 instead. Just keep that in mind if trying to use the index to look up other tunes.

A technical aside, and completely off-topic, I learned a new technical thing today as a result of Simon's post and my subsequent reading - rummaging through that 454-page Irish tunes PDF prompted me to finally learn how to add *bookmarks* in the MobileSheetsPro sheetmusic-reader app. I've been using the app for a number of years already but had never had any reason to use bookmarks, as nearly all the other sheetmusic I have in there is only one or two pages, three at most, no bookmarks required. But 454 pages gave me incentive to finally try adding bookmarks. It turns out to be an intuitive process, I didn't even have to look up instructions online, and seems to work well although if you inadvertently delete a bookmark there doesn't seem to be an "undo", so I have to pay attention to exactly what it is I'm tapping on my screen. So anyway now I know how to do that, which could come in handy for any future large PDF's (that app will read *any* PDF, doesn't have to be sheetmusic, I've occasionally used it to read various newsletters that people insist on sending me in PDF format instead of plaintext which would be more sensible, but I digress).

Anyway... music can be useful in unexpected ways! If I hadn't seen Simon's post and wonderfully-played tune, I wouldn't have learned how to do the bookmarks in the sheetmusic-reader app.

(Typing this on my phone, hope the formatting and links show up correctly)
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks JL277z, and thanks for the info. Thinking back on it I’m sure I saw this years ago in a hymn book that was published in the mid nineteenth century. The words I mean, not the music. I’m never sure if the music originally went with the lyrics.