Week #560 ~ Crested Hens

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Crested Hens, which was submitted as a French Waltz. According to The Session, it's also known as Cockscomb Bouree, Como Poden Per Sas Culpas, The Crested Hen, The Crested Hens, Les Poules Huppees, Les Poules Huppés, Poules Huppées.

Here is a link to seven settings of this tune on The Session.

2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I played the melody on my tenor guitar:
  3. John W.
    John W.
    Really enjoyed the sound and mood you created there, Christian
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great playing, I like the atmosphere, Christian, and it works well as a waltz.

[Note: credit to the composer, Gilles Chabenat, and that he named the tune Les Poules Houppées]
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Christian, your tenor delivers such a warm sound in your recording. Very nice!

I was surprised because I had in mind some faster picking. My false – you can do a lot more with this tune …

BTW., there were some young ladies and gentlemen who did this tune as SAW #82 in 2010 and the following years.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks for catching that it had been a SAW already! I TRY not to duplicate them, but, you know, I'm human!
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    When I checked my SAW post from 12 years ago I discovered that the YouTube link was no longer functioning. Here is an updated link:
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Exquisitely played David, really like that rhythm.
  9. John W.
    John W.
    Lovely version, David.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for reviving your post, David. Very nice!
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks to Christian for his new tenor guitar lead version and to David for reviving his exquisite old one. I recorded this tune back in 2014, but have yesterday recorded a new version using a quite different arrangement -- I found this one during lockdown and introduced it (to general acclaim) to our group repertoire when we reconvened last summer, but for some reason hadn't yet got around to recording it. This seems a good opportunity.

I'm playing the tune twice through, with second mandolin harmony by Mike Moroney added the second time, from:

http://www.kiwifolk.com/dfc/DSFO%20Violin.pdf

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/Uhh9-nKJpNU

You may also notice that I have changed my camera angle -- I like how clearly the mandolin and the fingering can be seen in Frank's videos for example, so I've moved the camera closer (on my music stand, in fact). This way, my instruments can actually be seen clearly for the first time!

Martin
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Good sound from your mandolin, Martin. And nice to get a closer look at your Mid-Missouri and at your finger work.
    I’m looking forward to have a detailed look at all your other fine instruments.
  13. John W.
    John W.
    Nice to have the harmonies added in there, MartinÂ…also nice to have a change of e cording position.
  14. John W.
    John W.

This is my morning tempo of this tune…I can play the same notes and chords with a glass of red in the evening and create a totally different mood.

Fylde Signature Touchstone
    Faith Naked Mercury
  15. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    That sounds great, John -- really good groove and tempo. I also like the Fylde very much. Interesting way to use picture-in-picture which I hadn't come across before but is I think more effective than side-by-side or small inset for an accompanied tune like this. The mandolin gets center stage as it should be but the guitar doesn't just come in off-screen as with my videos.

Somewhat embarrassingly I have just noticed that my harmony part wasn't actually on mandolin as I had written in my post above, it's on octave mandolin (Mid-Missouri M-111). Memory fail. That wouldn't have happened if I had a video of the accompaniment as well as the lead...

Martin
  16. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I like your morning mood, John. The sound of your mandolin is great.

Good position of the mandolin within your video. It shows how synchro you are with your guitar accompanist.
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bump
  18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon, I do agree with you. We need some additional versions of this nice dance tune. I waited for your submission ... as a fellow-countryman of the composer.

Meanwhile I hiked the Austrian Alps but couldn’t find any crested hens. Therefore, I captured some video footage of on the mountain huts.

I recorded the tune on Eastman mandolin first in E minor following by Vogtland mandolin together with English concertina a fifth down - to avoid the high squeaks of the box.

https://youtu.be/7g7j1SEtZlY
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof, lovely playing and lovely chickens too!!
    -and thanks for the motivation, I’m in England at the moment and very excited, I have a new (6 channel!) recording device.
    I will be posting soon.
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks Simon. Congratulation for the new tool.
  21. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I made a dozen of attempts to embed this video properly but was not able to bring it to work on my site. At least it shows the thumbnail.

You may watch it on YouTube or use the link (what of course is the same). Thank you all.
  22. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Missed this. All nice versions. This Frithjof is something special, You put a lot into this and it shows. Perfect blend of instruments, arrangement, playing, it's all there.
  23. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    The concertina is a great addition, Frithjof. I enjoyed all the videos here. It's an amazing tune.
  24. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    No chickens in this garden so it’s flowers with a windy recording.

https://youtu.be/OPm_JHfbvRA

[Edit: I’ve added a Crested Hen as a thumbnail image. I hope everyone likes this chicken]
  25. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for your nice version, Simon. It sounds great in your fast recording.
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof, it’s another recording where I picked up the tune and played it straight away.
    I was in the garden playing, which didn’t feel right as the wind was quite strong and I didn’t have my usual metronome warm up exercises.
    I’m using a Zoom H6 with a homemade wind protector (an old sock).

Also, I’m traveling in England so I don’t have my repertoire books, just the iphone.
    Blackberry blossom up next, if the wind drops off a bit.

About the tempo, I’ve heard a fair number of accordionists over here in France playing it pretty fast.
  27. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This tune sounds very good at any tempo! I like Simon's faster version as much as the slower, dreamy ones.
  28. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Great tune and playing Simon! And the video, Wow. You've got some skills there also!
  29. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Dennis and Frank, it’s nice to be back. And I appreciate your kind comments.
  30. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine delivery on this great tune, Simon. Good to hear a single solo instrument sometimes.