Black A2Z

1. imrie3
    imrie3
    I have a Black A2Z in the works, how about letting me know what kind of strings you favor on yours ? Thanks, Imrie.
  2. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    You’ll probably get a variety of answers. Some people really favor that .016 A string, like the one that comes in the GHS A-270 set. Others prefer the old tone and lesser reactivity of monels. I currently have Curt Mangan monels on my Black A2-z.

https://www.curtmangan.com/monel-mandolin-11-5-40/
  3. imrie3
    imrie3
    I have used Gibson Sam Bush monels for my Randy Wood F5 forever, about to run out of them, I scored some on Ebay a while back, am using D'Addario Medium plus Monels on a Sloan A model now, well satisfied with those too.
  4. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    The Sam Bush set was my first exposure to monel steel, and I really liked both its emphasis on fundamental tone and its corrosion resistance on my snakehead. But when Gibson discontinued the line, I was thrilled to find an alternative from Curt Mangan with a more substantial gauge on the A strings.
  5. imrie3
    imrie3
    I am getting way ahead of myself on the string question, I really need to get it first before talking strings.
  6. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    Sometimes talking strings and other accessories is a way of building anticipation and killing time while we wait!