Tree Of Life (original waltz by Jim Garber)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a lovely waltz written by Cafe (and SAW Group) member Jim Garber. He recorded it some years ago for Volume 2 of the Comando Sessions CD, and posted it here on the Cafe and on his Myspace page. Sheet music is here:

I've had a printout of the tune in my "to learn" folder for a long time, and have now got around to recording it on the Ajr and tenor guitar.

Thanks to Jim for writing the tune, and for his kind permission for posting my version!

Martin
  2. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Nicely played Martin and a great tune. I seem to recall that, if the tree of life is the norse Ygdrassil, there was a squirrel that lived in it and I can hear him scampering about the branches in the music.
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's a lovely tune. Really well done, Martin.
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Quite the talents, Our Jim and Our Martin...
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Revisiting another old favourite -- this is a really lovely waltz written by Jim Garber. I like in particular the ascending double stops in the A part.

Re-recorded somewhat faster and more freely than my old 2012 recording. I also this time used Mike Stangeland's transcription rather than Jim's own (mainly because I stumbled across an old printout of Mike's version and couldn't find Jim's in my files). There are some differences, in particular in the B part:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/te/tabl...fe-Am-Trad.tef

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    It was worth to re-record this lovely waltz. Well done, Martin.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I agree, this has a lovely flow to it. Good tune, well played.
  8. Jim Garber
    Jim Garber
    I am honored to have Martin record my little tune. I have my humble recording of it here:

I think I actually play it differently now and been meaning to re-record it one of these days.

You can download the notation at this link (pdf).
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Bravo! And thanks for the pdf.
  10. Jim Garber
    Jim Garber
    ¡No problema!
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well played Martin, yes it’s a lovely tune Jim. I really like the harmonic flow with the change in the B part.
  12. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    After listening to all three versions, I still can't decide which of them I like best.
    And thanks for the link to the sheet music, Jim, I'll put it into my "to learn" folder.
  13. icedoghans
    icedoghans
    Where did I hear this before? A movie or something?
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks for posting Icedoghans, and welcome! Let’s record some tunes, Dude!

And you are 100% wrong about Jim’s tune, it does not have a striking resemblance to a movie soundtrack.

To help prove it I did some mathematics:
    [In 2016 there were 735 movies released to the US cinema market.
    And the copyright on Jim’s tune says 1988.
    So, 33 years since Jim wrote his tune.
    And 33 x 735 movies = 24,255 movies since he wrote his tune.]

Ok 24,255 movies is the result and I’ve no idea what the mathematics means, but I can say that Jim’s tune resembles at least 100 of those movies, not one!
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks to Jim for making his notation available to us here on the SAW Group. Also thanks to Martin who originally posted the tune away back in January 2012 then again in May of this year, and to Jim again for his most recent Soundcloud rendering.

My version is on mandolin, with piano accompaniment and bass added. My piano is a Yamaha DGX-500 Portable Grand and I used it in standard piano mode then added the bass and synthesised voice also from the piano. Pictures are from the bird hide near my home.

16. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds really nice, John, I especially like your piano chords.
    Interesting to watch the birds, a robin first and then several types of finches.
    They all seem to like your mandolin playing, so do I!
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Excellent John! That piano part sounds really good, the tone of it too.
    The more I hear this tune the more I like it.
    I was thinking that the A part sounds a bit Eastern European.
  18. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nicely done John. I just printed Jim's link to the notation, may give it a shot myself.
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Christian, Simon and Ginny. Looking foward to hearing your respective offerings in due course.
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ha, ha, being the cripple that I am, I can’t do that without TAB, John.
  21. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Simon, I presume you don't read standard notation? Today is a good day to start.
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Excellent version, John. Your use of the possibilities of your Yamaha piano is great.
    I every time like your birdfeeder slides.