Week #393 ~ Coilsfield House ~ Nathaniel Gow

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Coilsfield House which was submitted as a Scottish tune by Nathaniel Gow. I am on the road posting on my phone, so I am counting on some of our other members to post some links to notation and video!
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    ABC to be found at thesession.org (it's classified as a barndance there, but we know that means nothing).

The classic version is from the band Ossian:

With that in mind, I tinkered my own technically prehistoric raw footage seven years ago:

And there is, first in my ears, the cozy concertinastic one from Mr David Hansen:

This tune also had a run here as "Other Tune".
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A wee bit of cheating ,here! I did this version three years back so apologies for not offering an updated one, but I liked this version when I did it, so I am sticking with it.

here is a pdf for the melody, posted over in the Songs and Projects part of the forum.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...7&d=1478366637
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I don't think it's cheating John - that timeless tune has waited 200 years to be played by all of us, and 3 years are a piece of cake compared to that
  5. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Nice version John. There is no need for an updated version, so why should you. There are a lot more tunes to work on, and we mandolinplayers never get bored, don't you agree? Thanks for posting. I'm working on a complete different version to see if can make this tune swing. I think Nathaniel would have appreciated swing in this tune.
  6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    And here it is, I added a mandolinchop for a rhythmic touch of bluegrass. The video was messed up a little so you'll see a lot of pictures from te surroundings of the area around Coilfields House...

7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting versions here from David (via Bertram) and Bertram himself, and the great Ossian rendering of the air.
    Henrik, you certainly have given the tune a new feel with your version, though I'd wonder what Nathaniel would indeed think. He'd certainly be pleased that his composition is still attracting attention long after its appearance in 1801!
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ha! Hendrik, that'll be "Oilfields House" by Nat the Gowboy
    Very different and consistent in its own right, and taking old N.G. on a transatlantic rollercoaster ride he'll never forget.
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice slow versions on the singing bouzouki and an equally nice faster version on the 2 point oval hole, Great!
  10. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Solo mandolin with my 1920 Gibson A model and a Blue Chip TP50.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice playing, D. My regular playing partner plays an early Gibson A like yours (circa 1918) and it has a great tone. He uses a much lighter pick than I prefer and we get quite different tones out if the instrument.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This A has a distinctively noble tone, Dusty, and can stand its ground solo. Coilsfield House is, admittedly, a somewhat cruel piece to instruments with a short sustain, especially at the ends of the lines - you never know what to do with those lots of time; I think a little bit of tremolo there might go both with the piece and the noble tone.
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I have previously recorded this tune (twice!) as a march as an "other tune". This new version recorded today uses the same harmonies but different instrumentation, taken slower and with a less strident rhythm. I think it is more effective than my earlier recordings.

Starting out on solo tenor guitar, with mandolin coming in on harmony, then taking over the lead.

Harmonies from:

http://www.tiompanalley.com/index_fi...ieldHouse3.pdf

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar (x2)

Martin
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well up to your usual standard, Martin, and a fine arrangement.
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    what John said. And I remember the car in the bush (that could be the name of a tune!)
  16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Another old tune from our repertoire folders revisited -- this is my fourth (!) time recording this tune, each with different ways of playing the same harmonies by David James.

This time, lead and high harmony on mandolin, low harmony on mandocello, with a gentle tenor guitar rhythm the second time around.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nearly four years since the last action on this thread, Martin, and now another fine version from you. Good to see those old ones being revisited.
  18. Leo37
    Leo37
    Here's my attempt for today.

I began learning to play the baroque flute after my retirement in february this year. The idea came by hearing the songs by Betram and Regina. I like the sound blending from Guitar/Bouzouki/Octavmandolin and wooden flute. The scores I found here. The arrangement fit exactly the intention to give the 'Coilsfield House' a baroqueske feeling.

19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That is a lovely arrangement Leo and very fine playing. The harmony on bazouki is a great complement to the melody on your flute. Interesting video treatment too with the two windows. Thanks for posting.
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What a stately polyphony, Leo. Nat Gow himself would don a white wig for just listening in style
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well done gents, thanks for the notation Leo, the flute sounds great.
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I would call that a successful retirement plan, Leo.
    The baroque flute sounds great and the interplay with your octave mandolin is superb.
  23. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for the comments on my recording -- I really like that piece, as it's so Scottish and at the same time quite different from his father's tunes.

Leo: wonderful sound, and what quick progress on the flute after only starting in February. I keep thinking I should learn a melody instrument with sustained sound, but it would probably be a concertina rather than flute.

Martin
  24. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    These are two very nice new versions of this lovely tune. Leo's baroque offering sounds as if it had been recorded in a church. The acoustics are amazing.
  25. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I found this tune in Paul Hardy's tunebook and recorded it without knowing it. At the cafe, I learned that two yeas ago, it was tune of the week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve6XMhu8zKM
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    This is a great tune Christian and exquisitely played, love the dignity of the tremolo at the end.
    Onto my list, tried it yesterday maybe I’ll join you gents with a straight, mandolin-only attempt.