Week #539 ~ Avalon Quickstep

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This weeks winner is Avalon Quickstep. You may have noticed that Dusty Miller had more votes, but it’s been pointed out that Dusty Miller has already been Song of the week!

Here is a link to the tune on the session.org

2. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I learned this tune from the Compton and Blake "Gallop to Georgia" recording of Narmour and Smith tunes. It's not up to Compton speed but who is? Played on my 2010 Heiden A5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XNqYbLZpWQ

3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well played, Don. It sounds very authentic with those slides and double stops. Do you use a special pick to get this sound?
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Here is the Narmour & Smith version.
  5. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    I was hoping you’d jump right in on this, Don. Nice job. I used to have a slight acquaintance with this tune. As you say, Mike Compton is quite the Narmour & Smith apostle.
  6. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks Mike and Gelsenbury. I'm using a Blue Chip CT55 pick that I took a tiny bit off of the bevel. Maudlin--always good to listen to Narmour and Smith's versions of tunes. They really liked to make them crooked.
  7. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Once it dawned on me that there are 8 bars in the A section and 10 bars in the B ...

8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Don and Mike – thanks for your recordings. Good to have such great examples how to play the tune on mandolin.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well played, that man! You have got that 10 bar B part and the syncopated phrases really well, Mike.
  10. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Yep, Narmour and Smith liked their tunes crooked. I think Compton straightened this one out a bit. Well played, Mike! Do you have the book Compton put out for the CD? If you like these tunes, it provides a great framework to help figure them out. You can find it at www.mikecompton.net
  11. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Compton made a crooked tune less crooked? Wow. I've never known that to be the case! (g) But I believe you, Don.

The thing I like best about Compton's version (which is definitely worth a listen) is how much of a downbeat he gets in it. Of course, I'm sure it was a dance tune, and the dancers would want to feel that downbeat -- especially with the bizarre extra measures in the second part.

I asked Compton once if he thought some of these country tunes were written crooked out of a different intuitive sense of rhythm, or just because (no insult intended) they just didn't know any better. He thought it was the former, but I have my doubts.

Yeah, I do have the "Georgia" book, but in a fit of organizing I put it someplace and haven't been able to locate it. I'm still looking. I ordered the CD too and then realized I don't have a CD player anymore. I had my wife burn me a digital copy at school.
  12. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nice job, both of you! I do love playing the tunes off Gallop to Georgia, but I'm still way below Compton's tempo. The crookedness is a challenge to feel in some of them, but those melodies are just great.

Seems like it might be time for some more posts in Old Sausage's G 2 G thread!
  13. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    I've been impressed by you folks who post multi-track videos and accompany yourselves. I thought I'd try it. The synching gave me fits but here goes.

14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Your multi-track recording sounds amazing, Mike. It inspired me to practice the tune more seriously today. My first listen of your playing was in the morning - means ten hours ago. No other comments in the meantime. Obviously all our friends are practicing like hell, too.
  15. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Thanks, Frithjof. The tune is a bit weird — “crooked,” as they say — with some timing challenges and 10 bars in B part instead of the usual 8. What I did was just play it through slowly as if everything was (slow) eighth notes to sus out the dotted quarter notes (which = 3 eighth notes of course) and other timing puzzles.
  16. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Beautifully done, as usual, Mike.
    I think this is the first time I publish a video in the right week.
    Short and a little skaky, sorry to the dancers.

17. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Nailed I Pierpaolo! Love the stops.
  18. Bren
    Bren
    My second attempt at a multiscreen video. Unwisely, I tried to play at the tempo of the Narmour & Smith recording. A step backwards but , hey, it's only 57 seconds.

I had to trim it down to that because I kept getting interrupted during the recording and didn't have time to keep doing more takes! So I filled the third screen with the view of snowing out my office/mandocave window.

Sound seemed OK in the room but the came out tinnier than expected on my phone or tablet. Sigh. Things can only get better.

19. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Nice tempo, Bren. Way to go for it. Pierpaolo, enjoyed your version too. Very nicely played! I hardly ever get to the tunes the week they are announced either.
  20. Bren
    Bren
    Thanks Don. While listening to the first playback, I had to keep stopping to answer a call from my son. Until I realised it was just the sound of him calling when I recorded it.
  21. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Bren, Glad you stuck with it.
  22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Three very fine and quite differennt versions, gents, each with its own charms and individual stamp. Thanks for all three.
  23. bbcee
    bbcee
    Good job, Pierpaolo e Bren!
    Bren, hats off for playing at tempo - they're still buttkickers for me at speed.
    Pierpaolo, what a nice, loping rhythm! Really enjoyed it.
  24. bbcee
    bbcee
    Oh, and Mike, your multitrack attempts are coming up aces - and nice version!
  25. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great versions, Pierpaolo and Bren.
  26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Here is my solo version:

27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Who needs accompaniment when you can produce a solo version like this one, Frithjof!
  28. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Frithjof, you do do a very good solo.
  29. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nice one, Frithjof, it's got that lively vibe.
  30. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Frithjof, excelent! your version is similar to the tef file avalaible here in the cafe, I'm working on it and you give me some ideas with your double stops and ornaments, thanks!
  31. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, John, Ginny, Bruce and Jairo.
    I didn't know about a existing tef file. My source was The Session and the submissions above.
  32. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    That's some fine spirited playing, Frithjof. And what wonderful tone and volume from your beautiful mandolin!
  33. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Nice one Frithjof- there are some excellent touches in your version. Mine is more straightforward.
  34. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for your nice comments, Don and Duncan.
    Great you joined the party with your solid picking, Duncan.
  35. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good clean picking, Duncan and your rhythm has a good feel to it.
  36. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Bren, Frithjof and Duncan, nicely played!
  37. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This one has proven popular! Comparing different players' interpretations of the same material is one of my favourite things to do, and I liked all of yours.

Bren's idea of having a split-screen video where one pane provides a visual accompaniment to the musical ones is just great!
  38. Brian560
    Brian560

I enjoyed all of the versions posted. Here is my try at this tune. I'm a little slow at posting this one.
  39. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A good ringing tone from your mandolin there, Brian.
  40. Brian560
    Brian560
    Thanks John. I discovered what a difference a change in picks make in bringing out certain tones.