The Butterfly

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This is one I have heard in sessions very often. It is supposed to convey the light, dancing air of a butterfly wafting in the summer breeze - which makes it a must for fiddle and flute players.

My OM rendition is a bit more heavyweight, drunken-bomber-pilot-like and I haven't tried it out in our session yet. Thought I'd treat you first and see what you say.

ABC from thesession.org:

X: 1
    T: Butterfly, The
    M: 9/8
    L: 1/8
    R: slip jig
    K: Emin
    |:B2E G2E F3|B2E G2E FED|B2E G2E F3|B2d d2B AFD:|
    |:B2d e2f g3|B2d g2e dBA|B2d e2f g2a|b2a g2e dBA:|
    |:B3 B2A G2A|B3 BAB dBA|B3 B2A G2A|B2d g2e dBA:|
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    I tried to include it in a set with a slow air (My Singing Bird) and another slip jig (A Fig for a Kiss) - it's the 3rd tune...

3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This is a favorite tune of mine. I especially like the version the Montana Mandolin Society does of it on their As Far As I Can See CD. If you haven't heard the MMS, I recommend you go over to their website, check them out, and I highly recommend their CD's!
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Oh well, now it's me this has happened to - I was just too lazy to browse through your index first, Barb.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I've just noticed, and sent Scott a message about 'search' in the social groups. There are two places that say 'search' . The top one (with advanced search) will find words in the social groups... you have to use advanced search, and choose 'groups', and it will find the words.

There is another 'search' in the grey bar, between admin & group tools. This one seems to be non-functional.

Not to worry, Bertram... I think it's even happened to ME, and I 'run' this darn group!
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I like it on the OM, Bertram. The chords really ring out. You've inspired me to start working on a mandolin version. I've played it on the tin whistle, but never tried it on anything else. Maybe since I posted this week's tune early for a change, I'll have time to get this one recorded.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    On a Gypsy OM...

9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yes Eddie, that's the spirit, plus slides! Interesting thing is, your second note in the B part seems to be a C, while I play a D (according to the thesession.org version) - where is your version from?

Marcelyn, it is an honor to inspire you, and I am looking forward to your rendition. For mandolin, you might also look at Eddie's version earier in this thread.

BTW, this here video shows an interesting approach
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I learned this tune by ear (can't remember if I've ever looked at notation for it), but I play the B part like Eddie (at least the start of it) B C E F# G
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I have listened around, and everybody seems to play it that way - I have changed my own sheet already. Can't trust thesession.org.
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, that global video was cool! Here's another cool treatment of the tune!

13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I have read somewhere that the three parts can be played together in any order and harmonically fit - looks like someone has done it
  14. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I'd always played a D in the B part too. I learned it by ear, but I could swear that's the way it was played at the time. It is a lot easier on the tin whistle that way. I picked up on the C while listening to these versions. It definitely adds a little more color to the melody.
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    In fact, that C is one of the very few proofs that it is E aeolian, not E dorian (which would have a C#). Both are minor scales, but the aeolian has a much more melancholic and passive mood.
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What a wonderfully bumpy ride, David! A butterfly with a hickup
    Who said that backup is not Irish? Very nice chords!
  17. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    I really like this tune. Nice playing, all. I play this one on guitar and it seems to want to go on forever without stopping.
  18. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I figured I'd give this one a go since I love the Bothy band so much!
    Enjoy.

19. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Very well done Kyle. Kudos.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    These are great, excellent versions David and Kyle.
  21. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here the zouk comes into its own, Kyle - absolutely droney-dreamy!
  22. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Thanks droney is my middle name... haha
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Nice to see you, Kyle Droney Baker!
  24. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Okay, here's my version, only a couple years late.

The arrangement is based on Simon Mayor's "New Mandolin" book, and is in A-minor, to take advantage of ringing string. Much easier on an octave vs a mandolin. It turned into a somewhat New Age-y version, as well.

Apologies for the watermark, and a couple of mistakes.
  25. Eddie Sheehy
    Very eclectric Dana!
  26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very different approach Dana - with that reverb depth it is not so much a butterfly as it is a mothman...

27. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Yikes! Had just put The Butterfly on my "to learn" list ... wondering what I'm invoking when I finally learn it ... gulp.
  28. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    A cryptid, eh? Well, my eyes are often red, as are my politics... Also, I do wing it, often. There's also a tune from Kevin Burke's Open House CD called Moth to a Flame, in 7/8 - way fun. And useful for torturing guitar players.

Loretta, as far as invoking something, my playing usually scares them away...
  29. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Don't worry Loretta, every cryptid has its kryptonite...
  30. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's a new version with mandolins.

31. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done Mr. Hansen! This arrangement really drives... what stood out for me was your stellar guitar backup. The mandolin provides the lift needed for me to visualize an iron butterfly.
  32. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another fine performance, David. As Michael says, the guitar adds so much to the overall effect.
  33. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Yes ,Very Fine! The solid rhythm sets a great palette lay your mandolin brush. And nice to see Bertram when he was just a kid!
  34. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great driving version, David.
    These simple looking open voicings on the guitar sound amazing. Why don’t I play them myself?
  35. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff David, or should I say lovely stuff from all four Davids!
  36. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    David, that's one tank-on-the-wing, with a groove to match.
    Thanks Frank, I often notice the change through my videos. The uncanny thing about it is that it all happened in just 11 years. Speed-methusalizing...
  37. Kevin B
    Kevin B

This was a Tunesday Tuesday Facebook group tune recently. Here’s one I threw together on tenor guitar.
  38. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I am getting "An error occured" message here, Kevin. Can you reload your video, please?
  39. Kevin B
    Kevin B

Hi John. It plays ok when I click on it. Here it is again.
  40. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Still the same, Kevin. Other videos in the thread are opening fine. Have you maybe got the video marked as Private?
  41. Kevin B
    Kevin B
    No it is not marked private. Both work for me. Here’s the url https://youtu.be/iU7drHcedw8 if you want to look on YouTube. Sorry for the problems.

i
  42. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sounds great on your tenor guitar, Kevin.
    Here is your video. Hope it works in all countries.

43. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Frithjof, for posting Kevin's video. It is certainly worth listening to and watching, Kevin. Lovely sound from your tenor and I like the photography with all the effects you have used on your pictures.