Bourree in A Minor (Händel)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a short Baroque bourree by Händel, which I found online arranged as a guitar trio at a music website in the Dominican Republic:

https://www.euloarts.com/wp-content/...G-F-Handel.pdf

No further identification of the piece is given, so I don't know the HWV number -- please let me know in the comments if you can place it.

It transfers nicely from guitar trio to a trio of two mandolins and mandocello. It sounds like a harpsichord piece, which I suspect was the original setting.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely arranged and played on all the instruments. Thanks!
  3. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I love this, Martin. Thanks for sharing the notation, although i'm not sure a single instrument will do this piece justice.
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds fine, Martin. And thanks for the link to the trio score.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Michael/Sherry/Christian. There are some interesting and varied scores at that euloarts.com site in the Dominican Republic, baroque music arrangements next to lead sheets of Latin American songs and solo guitar arrangements. I'll have to try a few!

Martin
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Martin – very baroque! Nice to have the mandocello for basso continuo.
    Sherry – To play the first and second voice together on mandolin (very slowly) is a nice way to practice playing up the neck. I did it for a few measures – It’s fun!
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A well-played piece, Martin, and thanks for providing link to the score.
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Very nice Martin! You really sounded crisp on this one. Did I mention I love that mandolin?
  9. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Fritjhof, now you've piqued my interest! Maybe I'll take the music to this afternoon's lesson.
  10. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    I love the harmonization. I think I may give this one a try!
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, all! Good luck with trying this tune, Sherry and Pluckinstrings. The melody line is fairly straightforward. Frithjof is a braver man than I for trying to play the harmonisation in double stops up the neck!

Martin
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Martin, I didn't get the double stops part! Another challenge for me that I'm working on. Now I see what Frithjof means by playing first and second parts together. I'm probably the only one who didn't get that!