Scott Skinner's compliments To Dr MacDonald

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Here is a Scottish set, comprising the march Scott Skinner's Compliments to Dr MacDonald and Angus Fitchet's lovely Strathspey John Stephen of Chance Inn. I am playing them on mandolin and acoustic guitar, both my own builds. I recorded the mandolin playing melody first then added the guitar track, using my usual Reaper software and a Rode NT1-a microphone. Pictures are all from my garden.

2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very lively set of tunes and they are played and recorded so well!
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ha! I was only just thinking that it’s been a while since I’ve heard the joys of Scotland! Very nice John, fresh and brisk, thanks.
  4. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Lovely tunes, playing and flowers, John
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Both tunes go so well together as if composed as a set. Probably because of your great playing, John.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, folks. I should probably have included a reel to get the full set of March, Strathspey and Reel as in our MSR competition sets, but the video would have been too long!
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Really enjoyed listening to that, especially that Strathspey!
  8. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    The first tune feels very light and lively, the second more stately. Wonderful playing. Beautiful garden too.
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I also enjoyed listening, though I have a slight preference for the march.
  10. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    You always bring out the Scott in me! Enjoyed both, a typical perfect blend of songs. And you know I love flowers! I need to up my song naming game!
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Jill, Don, Christian and Frank. Just had a wee live session in a friend's bar this afternoon - three of us with two fiddles and two mandolins between us - and we played those tunes along with many others. So good to get playing again live.