Skylark

1. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Not to be confused with "The Lark in the Morning." I'm out of lark visual inspirations. I arranged the string quartet (plus bass) on an iPad using Presonus Notion, exported it as a MusicXML file, and imported it into Apple Logic Pro. I didn't know that even existed until today, much less how to do it, but modern software is indeed miraculous.

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Going to new levels of production here, Mike. Beautiful visual effects and that flickering candle really caught my attention. I was waiting for it to go out at the close of your video on the last few frames. It had me really relaxed, sitting here with the headphones on listening to your music. Lovely arrangement, by the way
    The ability to export in XML format means you could share files across any of the main music notation programs - Sibelius or Musescore for example, or bring in other scores and build them in to your videos. As you say, modern software is just so amazing and can get us really hooked. We can do in our own homes what a few years ago required full professional studios, and your video here just highlights the very professional results that can be achieved.
    Your direction now will be to steer a safe line between your musical and your visual output, ensuring the music does not begin to take second place (or indeed making the music the background to the video). The world is your oyster, as the saying goes. Great video, Mike.
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I don't know any of the technical gadgets, talk is about here, but the musical result is great!
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a really orchestral arrangement, Mike.
  5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely Mike, always loved that tune and had kind of forgotten about it amongst all the other great tunes out there - thanks for helping to job my memory with this!
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    As a person who only does video to accompany our music, I still have an obligation to put together the best video I can - I don't know whether it comes first or second to the music, hopefully the music is first, and any comments I get are usually about the music but many also include the video 'story'. Well, my choice to not be in the camera's eye, I do what I can. A couple of players I subscribe to, use only one picture and it is easier to listen to their playing but I am not as 'entertained' as I might otherwise be, somehow lacking in the full package?? I'll try it one time and you can let me know. Mike this is lovely. I like that you have mastered this new technology so well and so quickly. The song sounds very full, like you have a whole band with you.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'm just listening to this again, on headphones this time, to appreciate the arrangement and great playing. Your video productions aren't just great on a technical level but also very tasteful. I'm sure your experience with the Bucktown Revue is coming in useful.
  8. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Oh sheeesh I’m blushing. Thanks so much.

I subscribed to a string arranging course today on Udemy to figure out what the heck I’m supposed to be doing. I’m sure there’s an understandable methodology to learn.