Week # 463 ~ Lost Indian

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Not a whole lot of voters this week.... but the winner seems to be Lost Indian, which someone submitted as an Old Time Tune. This appears to have been written by Ed Haley.

In the poll, I linked Kenny Baker's rendition. Upon doing some research, there seems to be several tunes with this title, and I've not been very successful in finding notation for anything that sounds like Kenny Baker is playing!

Here are some videos of tunes called Lost Indian. I will link to the notation of several tunes I've found by that name, but nothing that sounds (to me, at least) to Kenny Baker's! If anyone has any links, please post them!

Lost Indian (Ed Haley)

Lost Indian (1) on Traditional Tune Archive

Lost Indian on Old Time Fiddle Tunes

Lost Indian (Ed Haley)

2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I listened to Norman and Doc, sounds like cherokee shuffle in the A part

Ah, looks like this was done as an "other tune" here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...729&do=discuss

This tune sounds to me like an offshoot of cherokee shuffle, though definitely not the same tune.
  3. sportsnapper
    sportsnapper
    Ha, I looked at the third link - old time fiddle tunes, and there were, I thought, four versions of this. I searched Lost Indian. I've happily been playing the wrong tune- as "Lost Indian - fiddling on the frontier" is the name of an album which has Lost Indian on it, as well as Jimmy Johnson, the tune I've sort of learnt. Wondered why my version was nothing like the YouTube videos. Quite a few of the others appear to change the standard GDAE tuning as well - I'm going to give this a miss!
  4. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    This is a very fun tune. Kinda reminds me of Whiskey Before Breakfast. This is another two-for-the-price-of-one deal. Actually, it's a 3-fer. In addition to the tune, here's a duel between a Blue Chip pick, and a Dawg pick, which has veeeerrrrry round edges. Which pick to you prefer? Pick your pick! Please let me know and why. Cheers!

5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    With you playing it (and perhaps with this particular mandolin), I prefer the sound of the Dawg pick. It sounds super smooth, all music and no pick click, and has that nice sliding-off-the-strings sound (Is there a proper name for this?) that Mike Marshall does so well. So if I could play like you and had your mandolin, I'd go for the Dawg.

The Dawg pick is one I haven't tried yet. I've tried Golden Gates and another rounded pick, the name of which escapes me. I don't get along with them. I can't get any purchase on the strings at all with them, so I only use them for chords.

I do have the Blue Chip CT-55 you seem to be playing there. I like it, but no better than my other favourites.
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Surprisingly I like the sound of the Dawg better which is weird because I use a Blue Chip for everything. I have a Dawg somewhere, I may have to revisit it now!!!
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I listened to this video at three days now. Every time a like the sound of the Dawg a little more.
    (I myself never played with such expensive picks.)
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    It’s cool, I only get pick noise when I have to record something.
  9. Brian560
    Brian560
    Incredible playing Michael. I notice that the BC sounds brighter and louder and the Dawg a more mellow. With your level of playing they both sound great. Lately I have been preferring a brighter sound like the BC.That preference changes often so I wont say I prefer one over the other. They are different sounds.
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Good point, Brian. Horses for courses. Now I'm curious to read which one Mike prefers himself.
  11. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great playing Michael! I prefer the sound of the Dawg pick, it's somehow smoother.
    And Frithjof. The BC is expensive indeed, but you get a Dawg for about 3 Euro.
  12. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Thanks for the input. It's a real standoff for me. The Dawg pick definitely produces a wonderful rounded tone. I've had a few lying round forever but never much like them. I decided to try them after playing with Lauren Price a little. She gets a wonderful tone. (And, interestingly enough, she is very much a traditional Monroe-style player, which requires a lot of oomph out of the right hand.) I have trouble getting the Dawg to articulate on quicker music. While the angling on the Blue Chip (or a similar pick) makes it "easier" to get the fast notes out there, it also makes it easier to get a harsher, unpleasant sound. I prefer the Dawg when I can make it work, but I can't always do that. The Blue Chip is more serviceable all around, but it's harder to get a sweet tone out of it.