Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Dillion mandolins?

Thanks for the response Verne, the instrument is cheap enough but I'm thinking of passing on it after a bit of research. I've read a few comments from earlier posts and internet comments.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmastime is Here - NMD

Very nice! As mentioned above, the wood choices are unusual but I’ll bet very pleasing. I also live in Minnesota and have a couple instruments made locally. Long live the small builder!

Merry...
  3. Replies
    Views

Bruce Brockman / Luthier

I've been following the current Forum topic looking for American made mandolins started by JDB Here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/165499-USA-made-budget-mandos-who-s-who

I thought I...
  4. Replies
    Views

Big Muddy Morning

I started out the morning by pulling out a mando that I have not taken out of the case for a while, a Big Muddy (Wide Neck). What a treat!

I even got applause and comments from my wife when I...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: R.I.P. Jimmy Buffett

I woke up to the news this morning. That was a BIG surprise! The world needs more of his kind of music with a simple heartfelt message.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

I’d just like to say THANK YOU for everyone’s help in getting me started with Blues Mandolin. Just a little guidance was all it took to get me going. I’m definitely a beginner but I can at least...
  7. Re: New Member, new mando, question about picks....

For myself, I tended to drift from one pick to another but always seem to come home to a 1.5 mm Primetone, or something like it. I have become friends with someone who made his living playing...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The best mandolin straps?

I have been playing music with a fellow that made his living playing mandolin. He has a leather boot lace on most of his mandolins.

I went to the fabric store and bought some braided strapping...
  9. Replies
    Views

Bending notes might be part of it. I think the root of my problem is finding comfortable finger patterns, double stops etc to pull out that blues sound. Thanks to this thread I’ve had a few...
  10. Replies
    Views

Thanks to everyone for the help in bringing the Blues to my mandolin. I’m watching videos and checking into specific recommended artists and so far my playing all sounds like folk music.

At...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Saturday morning thoughts on mandolins

I rotate too, between several brands. I had to chuckle a bit when I noticed my Big Muddy on the stand next to me just now.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Why So Few Resonator Mandolins?

I start to drool every time I see a National Reso Mandolin. I’m a guitar player who has wandered into mandolin and now can’t get enough of it. I own 3 National guitars and 4 Dobros. I love that...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Loving my Flatiron

I noticed someone in my area is selling a Flatiron 2MC. It caught my attention. Now I’m looking for strength to avoid buying another mandolin.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Gibson Playability

My Gibson A4 was made in 1917. The tone is the reason I play it. Nothing replaces the tone of an old Gibson. As for the neck, I have 7 mandolins, all with a different neck profile. That’s just...
  15. Replies
    Views

Cleary Lake Fall Colors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yf_DTQHe1g

Sorry guys, no mandolin here. I just thought I'd show you where I live and what it looks like right now. I put one of my original instrumentals...
  16. Replies
    Views

Orion’s Belt

I’m not much of a mandolin player but I have fun trying. Here is my latest attempt at creating something that resembles music.

Orion’s Belt
  17. Re: Just tried a Blue Chip pick on my mandolin

There are a couple of comments above regarding my experience with my new friend. I am definitely the beneficiary when it comes to my friend’s mandolin playing. Cheap picks and and a few other age...
  18. Re: Just tried a Blue Chip pick on my mandolin

I volunteer at an assisted living facility and have been playing music lately with a resident who was a professional mandolin player. I am absolutely amazed at the cheap, nondescript, picks he uses....
  19. Re: Oval hole mando comparable to a Kentucky KM-505?

I just bought an Oval Hole Mandolin made by Bruce Brockman, a luthier in Arizona. It was surprisingly affordable.

I made a short video when I first got it. Here is the video, his website is...
  20. Re: Is Kim Breedlove retired from Breedlove - Two Old Hippies LLC

I also did a search and came up empty. Wherever he is I suspect he’s happy with his accomplishments. I own 4 of his guitars and two mandolins, all made in Oregon. They are impressive instruments.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Friend of the Devil

That is a great version of one of my favorite songs. I also listened to Orphan Girl on your Soundcloud. Well done.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: What do you think of this bouzouki?

That looks like fun! If it was on my local Craigslist I’d be picking it up by now.

My vote … Roll the dice and have some fun.
  23. Re: I have an open mike on Saturday and I'm scared to death

So there you go …. That’s the essence of the whole thing. No penalty. No penalty either way.
  24. Re: I have an open mike on Saturday and I'm scared to death

Everybody has had a first time playing in front of our peers. Sounds like you have a great group of supporting friends.

The second time will improve, third will be even better. Your sense of...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: 17 fret Irish Tenor Banjo vs mandolin

I tune my Irish Tenor Banjo C G D A. Irish Tenor is a fun instrument.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3