Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: New (bowl back) Mandola Day

Here's a handy link to the Ikegaku online store.

Mick
  2. Replies
    Views

NMD: New (bowl back) Mandola Day

I wanted to share my wonderful experience with purchasing a bowl back Mandola from Ikegaku in Japan

I've been wanting to dip my toe into GDAE Mandola for a while, after reading Robert Margo's many...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: ID on bowl back please

I believe the label is from a "Stridente" mandolin.

I'm seeing an "IDE" on the fragment with the familiar circular surrounding border.

I'm away from my files right now but will track down a...
  4. Handel: Gavotte HWV 491 & Passepied HWV 560

Georg Friedrich Händel (1685-1759):
    1. Gavotte in G Major (HWV 491) - 0:00
    2. Passepied in A Major (HWV 560) - 1:10

These are my settings for mandolin and mandocello of two brief baroque...
  5. Replies
    Views

Valzer del Commiato - Nino Rota

It is a waltz composed by Nino Rota for Visconti's film Il Gattopardo (1963). :mandosmiley:
  6. Replies
    Views

Etude Op.45 Nr.11 by Franz Wohlfahrt

This is my transcription of Etude Op.45 Nr.11 by Franz Wohlfahrt (1833-1884), written for violin but also useful for mandolin.

9yxl1qzkAvo

Toomas Rannu
    Flat-backed mandolin, crafted by Viljar...
  7. Re: Wound strings on a Brian Dean German bowlback?

I replaced tbe D and G Thomastik mediums with Dogal mediums roundwounds. A much bigger one sound with way more than expected sustain.
  8. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

My wife thinks I'm silly for saying please and thank you to Alexa and Siri, but when the time comes, they will remember...
  9. Replies
    Views

Italian 10 string Mandolin (Didone)

Hi all,

Bought this a few days ago on Ebay, unusual design with its 5 courses. Seems to be a short lived and not sucessful design. The name Nicola Didone is new to me, couldn't find any...
  10. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

It couldn't be done on fiddle either. Skinner (1843-1927) often gave alternate ways of playing a tune, which is what he did here. He was a highly skilled, trained musician and a stage performer, who...
  11. Re: Light strings for Neapolitan bowl-back

Just occured to me that photos are better as a record here than videos which can later disappear.

Here are some pics of it as it is, though I do still need to clean the soundboard.
    I believe...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Light strings for Neapolitan bowl-back

I have Dogal medios on one of my Embergers and it's keeping great and sounds great with them. I was initially hesitant, but a year have passed and so far so good...
  13. Replies
    Views

I’ll second Bob’s recommendation for the Calace Dolces. I use them on my bowlbacks and flatbacks.

And even have a set of the Medios on my Gibson now. (David is probably rolling his eyes…��)
  14. Re: Light strings for Neapolitan bowl-back

Aquila makes a set of low tension nylgut strings for mandolin. I like the sound of them, especially for classical music. They are not so shrill as some mandolin strings.
  15. Replies
    Views

Fisoma "Consort" strings are good; I' somewhat surprised to see the G string is 0.035, though.

Dogal makes a "Calace" set that's quite nice, and long-lasting. I think the lightweight set is "Dolce...
  16. Replies
    Views

From my experience, pretty much all bowlbacks should be strung with extra-light strings, with 1st string at .009.

I have no problems with the GHS A240 Ultra Light Gauge: L09 (2) -L13 (2) -LB20 (2)...
  17. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

Probably not a lot of people here who play video games, but in 2018, a cinematic adventure game called "Detroit: Become Human" came out that takes place 20 minutes into the future; much like the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Morning Malabar: Quartet Version

Last Sunday I had the great privilege of performing in a concert in Boston featuring the music of the composer and percussionist Susie Ibarra. The Classical Mandolin Society of America (CMSA) had...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking Of Stradolins

I have to agree, pre-War (so 1930's plus 1940 and 1941) Strad-O-Lin mandolins with comma f-holes are the best (H-2013). However, there is a rare & highly flamed Artist model (H-2014) with a two piece...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Speaking Of Stradolins

I am an avid promoter of a certain style of Strad-O-Lin mandolins. They have the comma f-holes. The body is slightly smaller than the average A shaped Gibson mandolin and - as far as I know - it was...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: What qualities does a Neapolitan mandolin have?

So much subtlety, and so much we don't understand yet, but... the defining difference between the instruments you mention is generally the width of the top, as well as the level of activity of the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin in bal folk music?

Many thanks! :)
    VITRIFOLK NOTATION IS HERE and here are the respective MIDI FILES.
  23. Replies
    Views

There's no reason at all why a mandolin shouldn't be used in a Bal Folk, the thing is they tend to drowned out by louder instruments, such as accordions and bagpipes. At one point there was a band...
  24. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

1984 isn’t a novel; it’s a handbook.
    Music, an unresearched stimulus common only to humans and a few birds clearly causes distinct neurological effects. Clearly, optimization can be achieved, for...
  25. Replies
    Views

Simon Mayor is a Yorkshireman and excels in many kinds of music.
    I don't know if he'd be offended to be told that his playing sounds English more than French.
    But do check out his recent CD of...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4