Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: The dreaded black A2Z question. With a possible answer...

I doubt it - because they have different style soundhole rings: Known examples with FON 11991 have two thin wooden soundhole rings, while #74795 has the wide ivoroid soundhole ring. From what I have...
  2. Re: 1923 Gibson Mandolin Production Estimate - By Model

Joe - thanks. Have you also got an estimate for the A-2z model?

Felix
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Teens Serial Numbers

What the data in my A2-z SN/FON table shows: While some items with FON 11919 (for example) got a serial number in the 740xx range, others with the same FON received a serial number in a 776xx or...
  4. Replies
    Views

I updated my table about A2-z models - now including also example without known FON. See attachment. (The approx S/N year is according to Spann).

This table seems to confirm that:

- A finished...
  5. Replies
    Views

Regarding A2z models: I once created a chart of known examples with serial number and FON - from the Mandolin Archive and other sources - see attached screenshot. The list is ordered by ascending...
  6. Re: Gibson Snakehead FON/Serial Nimber Question

A few years ago I compiled a list of A2Z models with known FONs and serial number - see attached image. I also compared soundhole ring and tuner styles.
    As you can see, the two number systems are...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Epiphone Strand 1940s

Nice! Looking at my Epiphone instrument registry data, serial number 52176 is part of the last batch of wartime Strand mandolins - note the crude octagonal bridge thumbwheels, obviously a product of...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Which Gibson model would this be ?

The A-50 in the 1937 Gibson catalog Y with the new wide body is pictured with these very fretboard and headstock inlays.

The label "MADE IN U.S.A / BY GIBSON, INC. / KALAMAZOO, MICH."...
  9. Re: Gibson Instrument Polish - The Secret Formula Revealed

John - the rest of the catalog page is cut off. It reads: "Prices subject to change without notice".
    Felix
  10. Replies
    Views

1935 Epiphone Strand

One you don't see every day - 1935 Epiphone Strand for sale (no affiliation):...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Closet epi pics

I think both: Epiphone generally was a much smaller operation than Gibson or Martin; and they launched their Masterbilt mandolins in the early 1930s when the mandolin boom was well over. In the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Bill - thanks for the additional photos. Very nice engraved Waverly tuners.
    Regarding your earlier question in your other thread: (1) are there many of these out there?
    I think not too many, my...
  13. Replies
    Views

Steve - Epiphone first promoted the "E under the lid" cases in the 1939 catalog: http://wiedler.ch/nyepireg/docs/1939_cat.pdf (see p.43). The Dutch Archtop Guitar Museum lists examples that came with...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: 1932 Epiphone Strand in the Classifieds

Here some photos of the mandolin I had saved years ago.
    Felix

15. Launched: NY Epi Reg - The Unofficial NY Epiphone Registry

Since vintage Epiphone instruments are now and then discussed in this forum, I'd like to let you know that I just launched a website on the subject: NY Epi Reg - The Unofficial New York Epiphone...
  16. Replies
    Views

1912 Stathopoulo bowl back

I don't know if already posted/discussed before: I recently received pictures of a bowl back with a Stathopoulo stamp and label dated 1912. (Thanks to Matt Umanov for making these pics available!) ...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: In Praise of the 16" Archtop

Dave Rawlings and his Epiphone Olympic have been mentioned - however we are not talking 16" archtop there. Dave's Olympic is only 13.5 inches wide! Very different guitar than a 16" - with their...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar Gallery & Sightings

Nice! Karin Bergquist's tenor guitar is a c. 1932 Epiphone Beverly - flat top with f-holes.

Felix
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: 1951 Epiphone Zephyr electric mando

Noah - thanks, great collection and website, excellent photos and info, too! Included in my database.
    Jim - love those exclamation point headstocks... my '34 Zenith has one, too. Below a few of our...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Epiphone Strand 1945

This c. 1945 Strand is the latest example of any Epi mandolin I know of before the company discontinued all mandos until c. 1950 when they reintroduced the Strand and Rivoli as oval hole models. ...