Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Clip-on mic vs Removable Pickup

Great suggestions here: AT Pro 35, Schertler, Baggs Radius.
    The one mic that still sails under the radar is the Bartlett Mando mic. It sounds as good as the Pro35 od DPA4099, but the clamp is...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Help me spend $10k

Great fun to think about spending 10 k for mandolins / octave mandolins.

From my experience:
    Long time Collings MF5 player (that now has a MF5V on loan from a dear friend - for sale actually),...
  3. Re: Mandola - Tonedexter Settings & Pickup Questions

Concerning pick-up in an oval hole mandola: It might be hard to place the two elements of the K&K twin in the perfect spot. What I normally do is try to find the perfect spot from the outside: Hold...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Good mic for...

Yes, the Ear Trumpets mics are highly appreciated for that setup. A lesser expensive mic would be the Aston Origin.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Meyers Feather Boost/Mute

I use an impedance transformer such as the Whirlwind Little IMP when connecting a microphone to one of my floor preamps. But looking at the Myers preamp which is attached to the gooseneck mic it...
  6. Mic comparison: Four mics on an Ellis F5 mandolin

Hi Folks,

I had some spare time in my studio so I thought I give it a try: Four microphones on one F5 mandolin.
    The mic choice may seem a bit odd: A large condenser mic (Neumann U67) and a small...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: compared to a Weber mandolin.

Tell us what your trade price is and if a F5-style is preferred. I would not suggest an Eastman superior to a Gallatin tone wise.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Amplifying a violin in an electric combo

Best I heard or mounted is a Dazzo mounted with beeswax (pretty easy to install and remove) combined with a preamp or acoustic amp. Sounds incredible natural without elaborate EQ, very feedback...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis F5 Special

Wow, what an amazing instrument ! Enjoy picking that beauty.
    I received my Ellis F5 Special custom in September this year and could not be happier. Mine has an Engelmann top, one piece back and...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: microphone feedback cures

Yes, give us some more information about playing style, volume, stage volume, microphone, mic position, monitors on stage, other instruments on stage ...

I perform and do live sound , acts are...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mic for onboard use

For many years I used the K&K In my Collings F5. After adding the ToneDexter it sounded incredible close to a miced mandolin - and I'm very critical about that, compared it to Schoeps and vintage...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Digital Mixer Advice!

To be precise: I'm using the TM 16-channel version which should be no difference.
    No down side here. I love the touchscreen in combination with the big jogwheel, which is what I always use, but...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandola Sounds?

Here is the sound of my Lawrence Smart mandola - did that vid some time ago as a mic/pickup comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpV2kP8UFqE&t=70s
  14. Re: Ellis A5 special deluxe - Brentrup M23V - Gibson F2

Hey,

thank you all for listening and commenting - much appreciated !
    No, I will not sell the Ellis A5 until I have the F5 in hands.
    The Brentrup M23V is already for sale on reverb.com. I will...
  15. Ellis A5 special deluxe - Brentrup M23V - Gibson F2

Hi picking fellows,
    here is a vid I put together to showcase the sound of three mandolins I own. This is not intended to be a comparison vid, but I would love to know what you hear. I really like...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: An original tune on a Sobell mandola

Very fine one, Gunnar ! I like the composition and your sound on the Sobell.
    Thanks for posting.
  17. Re: If money was no object, and perfect bluegrass tone was only g

My Ellis A5 maybe could fulfill the expectations.
  18. Re: A swing tune I wrote called Sunrise Swing with tab.

Great one - great playing ! Thanks !
  19. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

Me again - just remembered I did some comparison some time ago: Five condensers and one ribbon on a Collings MF5 mandolin. Here we go:...
  20. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

Shure SM81 would be a great choice in your price range as is Shure KSM 137. Personally I would not recommend Rode NT5. It's a great mic for the money but personally I always prefer more flat response...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: 5 course questions

I play a 10-string bouzouki/cittern made by Stefan Sobell. I tune it DGDad.
    Here are some examples:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZw5mK0BAEI&t=97s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIVb9cKqiq4
  22. Re: Favorite clip-on microphone for Irish bouzoukis

I tried (besides others) a John Bartlett guitar mic and a DPA 4061 and I liked both.
  23. Re: Please talk about your experience with the Mandola.

I bought my first mandola in the nineties, pretty soon after starting to play mandolin. I upgraded over the years from Gibson H2, Lebeda H4, Flatbush A5 style to a very nice L. Smart H5. It's a...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Describe your MAS progression

In chronological order, starting in 1990 - Bold means remaining, instruments I loved for their sound are underlined.

no name A5
    Gibson A1
    Washburn F5
    Gibson F2
    Michael Kelly F5 Dragonfly...
  25. comparison: Ellis A5, Northfield F5 Artist VIE, Collings MF5

Hi fellows,

for the first time in my life I had the chance to try out an Ellis mandolin: A 5 special deluxe. Love it ! So sweet and detailed! Here is what it sounds compared to my in-house...
Page 1 of 2 1 2