Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

Or, as Tim O’Brien said during a recent gig - the more you drink the better we sound!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

4 Melodeons will be bloody loud! One is loud enough - 4 is insane! An Octave Mandolin will really struggle to cut through the mix there - OMs occupy the same kind of sonic space as guitars, and...
  3. Re: Difference between "new" and old Eastman MD615

Hi there, sorry I can't help with your question. However, you might possibly get a few responses if you repost it in the "Looking for Information about Mandolins" part of the forum, rather than in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Second chord in Old Home Place

Lonesome Town by Ricky Nelson uses exactly the same sequence (albeit in a different key). It crops up in a fair number of songs.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrument insurance in the UK

Allianz (correct spelling) Musical Insurance are a proper musical instrument insurance company based in the UK. Others may well exist, but I’m only aware of Allianz. Of course, do check your home...
  6. Re: Where to buy a good quality mandolin in the UK

Hubrad - looking forward to seeing it soon! Enjoy!
  7. Re: Where to buy a good quality mandolin in the UK

Hi Dagger - those JJ Ryan mandolins look and sound very nice in the videos. Never heard of them before, so thanks for mentioning them.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 2022 Northfield Big Mon

Great playing and a great sounding mandolin!
  9. Replies
    Views

10 Years and counting!

Hi folks,

it's now 10 years since I joined the Cafe - and, therefore, around 10 years since I started playing the Mandolin (although I'd already been playing guitar for around 38 years at that...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield 4th Gen F5

Wow, that's a beauty! Love the headstock inlay!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD315 or MD 515?

Oh, and as Eric pointed out, the 515 has a bound fingerboard and comes with a better case, vs unbound fingerboard and padded gig bag on the 315.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD315 or MD 515?

They're both fully hand-carved instruments, made from solid woods, with the same dimensions. The only difference is that the 505 has a glossy finish, while the 305 has a matt, more rustic finish. ...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New Northfield A5 special coming my way

Looks ace! Enjoy!
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Lifting bridge on a cheap acoustic guitar

NotMelloCello - I've been using the same guitar guy for all my guitar and mandolin servicing and repairs for almost 15 years now. He's very good, has very reasonable rates, and I trust him...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Does my mandolin sound cheap???

Thanks Barry!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Does my mandolin sound cheap???

Hi Brad,

I've just seen your video and have a couple of observations to offer. First off - you have to realise that Joe K Walsh is an exceptionally accomplished player, with many years of...
  17. Re: NMD Girouard Concert A5 (pictures and a video)

That’s a lovely instrument, and a really nice version of Over the Waterfall.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mandolin less-expensive choices

My youngest son bought a Trinity College last year, and it’s a very nice Octave mandolin. We also tried a Gold Tone but were both very underwhelmed with it.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Check out my new truss rod cover.

Very nice! Does it glow in the dark when orcs show up?
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick thickness - how to choose?

For my tastes, for mandolin I prefer a larger triangle (rather than a teardrop), with points (not rounded), and a pick thickness of around 1.5mm. That gives me a really punchy tone, good bottom end...
  21. Re: New Eastman 305 - how long to play in, does tuning change?

The Eastman 305 is a good mandolin. One of my sons has one, and it plays and sounds great. The tuners are a bit stiff, but it stays in tune and has a really loud and punchy, woody tone.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik's for MDO-305 Eastman Octave

Thanks F-D!

Yeah, I bought a cheaper flat-topped OM last year, used. Been playing it a lot more this year, but it needs new strings, hence the question. Will give the Mandola strings a shot.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Forest and Kate O'Connor - Sound of Silence

Hi Yankees1 - yep, it’s his son and daughter-in-law.
  24. Replies
    Views

Mile Twelve win an IBMA Award

Just heard that Bluegrass band Mile Twelve, which features David Benedict on mandolin, has picked up the Best Newcomer award at the 2020 IBMA Awards.

Saw them last year here in the UK, and they...
  25. Re: Ukulele Chords Played on Mandolin: Something is Wrong

The Learn/Listen section on this website has loads of mandolin chords. So if, for example, you needed G, C and D chords to play a song, just look up the relevant chord shapes and learn them,
    . ...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4