Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Brekke Bridge

I was limited by the short height available on the Martin mandolin (about 6/10”). I called Vern Brekke and he sent me what he thought would work within these limitations. It turned out be one as in...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Brekke Bridge

A good discussion of both the Brekke and Henry mandolin bridges by mandolin maker Peter Coombe.

https://www.petercoombe.com/publications/jaamim4.htm
  3. Replies
    Views

Brekke Bridge

I grew dissatisfied with the stock bridge on my 1929 Martin Style 20 mandolin because of its lack of adjustability (it’s a one piece, two footed design) and I hope another bridge might mellow out the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Two Barely Used Eastmans

Took the 904B and Martin to the Breaking Up Winter old time festival in Lebanon, Tn this week. Some of the best old time music jamming on the planet. Both mandolins were great. I guess the Martin...
  5. Replies
    Views

I’m pretty satisfied with the 904D at this point. It plays extremely well. The crystal clear tone is just perfect for Irish music. This mandolin has some pretty specific strengths.
  6. Replies
    Views

The chords sound great on the 904D with Thomastiks, very harmonious and smooth; but much different than the “chop” of the 815, which is a quintessential bluegrass machine. My old Martin Style 20...
  7. Replies
    Views

I tweaked the 904D some more today. Tossed the Martin Monels and replaced with Thomastik Precizion mediums, the same I use on my Martin. I like the smooth feel and the sound shows promise. Sure...
  8. Replies
    Views

We had a good jam this morning and I took the opportunity to really pick the 904D a lot. The tone is excellent, the chord sound really sweet. It just doesn’t really pop at this point, but it did...
  9. Replies
    Views

New to me Collings MT

A band ate acquired a beautiful Collings MT2 which has caused me some mandolin envy. I decided to see if I could find a used Collings at a “reasonable price”. I ended up finding a used Collings MT...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin style 20

It appears.that Bill played a 1929 Style 20, since that was the only year the model was made without fretboard binding. 101 were made that year.
    I have a 1929 with very little little wear. Bob...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin Style 20 Interest

Still playing great at 1.5 years of ownership. I alternate this Mandi with a 2006 Charles Horner A with a more bluegrassy tone. But the Martin is easier to play and has an incredibly unique tone.
  12. Old 1929 Martin Style 20 as Everyday Player

After a 2 year search to track this Martin puppy down, I've now had it about 2 years. When I received the instrument, it was unbelievably clean for a 90 year old instrument. The biggest flaw was...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Bryan Kimsey

I can give a thumbs up for Bob. He can handle diffucult Jo's like converting bar to modern frets.
  14. Re: Can I "dull" a shiny area on a matte-finish Eastman?

You could strip the mandolin of strings and attachment and use rubbing compound to gloss the whole thing. A lot of folks have done this with their satin Martin's.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Truss Rod Question

I don't know for sure, never having disassembled an Eastman neck, but I wonder if the rod has enough curve, with a filler piece glued on top, to make the neck straighten when the nut is tightened. ...
  16. Replies
    Views

I owned a newer MDA-815 mandola. When I attempted adjusting, it reached its thread limit and I stopped. The neck was not perfectly straight, but functionally straight enough. I have traded off that...
  17. Replies
    Views

Ran across another Eastman today with same. An old Eastman dealer friend of mine suggests a "design flaw".
  18. Replies
    Views

Eastman Truss Rod Question

I have encountered several Eastman mandolins with which I been unable to adjust the neck to adequate straightness. In other words, the nut bottoms out. Is it that the rod is installed incorrectly? ...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 404Bk Mandolin review

Since most old Gibson As vary in sound one from another, the Eastman MD-404 fits right in the family, kind of like a double first cousin. I've owned a MD-504, a MD-514, a Gibson A, an A-4, and...
  20. Re: Any modern(cheaper) mandolins with a Gibson model A 1924 soun

I'm a lover of oval holed mandos, particularly old Gibsons. The first imprint itself on me was was a 1917 F-2. It was perfect tonally. Next was an Old Wave A that sounded great except for a...
  21. Re: Some Thoughts on Vintage Gibson and Martin Oval Holes

My personal favorite so far is the Martin. It is an absolute joy to play solo, like when I'm in the practicing on the couch. The Martin sounds so clear and bell like, and is so easy to play. The...
  22. Some Thoughts on Vintage Gibson and Martin Oval Holes

I now have two vintage oval hole mandolins - 1920 Gibson A-4 and a 1929 Martin Style 20. Both are in excellent condition for 100 and 91 year old instruments. The Gibson has a well repaired and...
  23. Re: Plating on a Lyon & Healy Model A tailpiece

I would assume that originality of original hardware is nearly as important as an original finish on a vintage instrument. A new or as new tailpiece just wouldn't look right on a vintage piece.
  24. Replies
    Views

A Pearl of Great Price A-4

I had found myself in possession of several instruments that I was mildly dissatisfied and/or bored with. Looking at the Carter Vintage website, I spied something which caught my attention; a 1920...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: instrument an offensive weapon (no mando)

A fellow up here in the mountains invented a concoction he calls a banjammer which has a a dulcimer neck coupled to a little drum. In the hands of a skilled player it just sounds bad, but with a...
Page 1 of 2 1 2