Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Figuring out chords from sheet music?

I'd be happy to take a look as would others on the board, but as atsunrise says, a visual of the tune would be the best way forward.

Cheers
    MRT
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: There Is No Mandolin

Transcribe some tunes or solos.
    Improvise melodies and rhythms using your hands, feet, voice, whistling, humming, etc.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Embellishing Songs

Regarding fingerings, when playing up the neck it is helpful to be comfortable playing the different chord shapes with all possible fingerings. For example, the G chord x557 might usually be played...
  4. Replies
    Views

OK, this thread is officially embarrassing. I was just trying to help! :disbelief:

Cheers
    MRT
  5. Replies
    Views

Yes, one of the challenges of playing that chord-melody style up the neck is letting the chords ring while playing the melody. This often involves interesting fingerings and/or cross picking to keep...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: How to read this ?

The plus is a LH pizzicato, essentially a pull off, in this case from a silent upper note.

Double sharps are used because they make musical sense, regardless of temperament. Even though an F##...
  7. Replies
    Views

Phillipe,
    There are some great suggestions on this thread. I think a combination of all of them is always a balanced way to go. For songs that you can find the chords to, JeffD has it right: learn...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Are there any fiddle tunes in E?

A few more:

The Girls at Martinfield is a nice Phil Cunningham reel in E.

Touching Cloth by James Kelly, a reel in E about sitting on the throne.

Homage to Rooney, a modern reel in E by...
  9. Re: Beginner: How to choose the right scale for a song?

If you want to go with pentatonic scales, one approach is to use the pentatonic scale that goes with the chord being played. I.e., play a C major pentatonic over C chords, an E minor pentatonic over...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Tabs vs music notation

That's better than what my kids sometimes display, hereditary stridulous pterodactyly, in the form of screeching and flying around the house in the early hours.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: "Separated" chords

I use separated chords quite a bit. The easiest way when using a pick is to practice using fingering angles to let a finger fretting the G string mute the D string, for example. The shape 4x53...
  12. Re: Figuring out chords from sheet music?

This one is quite straightforward, because the chords are written out in the piano staff. If you can read standard notation, you can simply look at the stack of notes on each melody note and see...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz chords

Several have mentioned that it's the context, and that is an essential part of the essence of understanding any chord. There are two directions to harmonic analysis: the vertical (a.k.a. chord...
  14. Re: Fear A' Bhata (The Boatman) Capercaillie

Here's the basic chords from the Capercaille version. chords in parentheses after the note they fall on. Pretty much the same thing for verse and chorus.

B c# | d(D) d a f# e d | c#(A) e f#(Bm)...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin prices

There it is. You can make a lot of music on most any mandolin that produces the right notes in the right places. Sure, if every note between frets 7 and 13 sounds the same, then you will have some...
  16. Re: Breedlove VS. higher end Pac-Rim imports.

I played a Breedlove OF as my main mando for about 6-7 years and I loved it. Great mando all around, played it hard and never had a problem. Super easy to play. You asked for videos above, here's...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Fretting on Fretting

Most of the time, if I have two notes that are 3 frets apart, I will play them with 1st and 3rd fingers, or 2nd and 4th, so I don't think you are doing anything out of the ordinary by using your...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Key Signator chords?

Wrote this up for my band, enjoy.

Cheers
    MRT
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: JazzMando Jazz chords

Sometimes there is one correct answer, other times it is ambiguous. The naming conventions are pretty specific when the section of music is tonal, but even then some people might interpret it one...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Swing Jam PDF

Whoops, I meant the other way around. Try clicking on the thumbnail in the box and it should download the PDF? I had trouble too.

Or try this:

Cheers
    MRT
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: minor scale pentatonic

The major pentatonic scale is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th notes of the major scale. For example:
    A C major scale is C D E F G A B C
    The bold letters are the C major pentatonic scale.

The...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: custom transcriptions

I do custom transcriptions as well. I guess I've been setting music with Finale coming up on 20 years now, and it's something I enjoy doing, so feel free to get in touch if you need something. ...
  23. Re: Transcription of Tiny Moore playing on Lady Be Good

Here's a different version of Tiny playing Lady Be Good. The head and three choruses. Lots of great lines in here. Enjoy!

Cheers
    Mark R-T
  24. Transcription of Tiny Moore playing on Lady Be Good

Here's a transcript of most of the head and 2 choruses by Tiny Moore from a live show.

Enjoy... Another version of LBG coming soon, plus more Moore!

Cheers
    Mark R-T
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Goat Rodeo Sessions Chords/Tabs

Earthwood,
    I wrote this out in Finale.

I've added the mando break on page 2 of this new file:

At the moment, I don't have a mando on hand to check the layout of the tab. In...
Page 1 of 2 1 2