Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando/ Harp WW2 Fell apart

Here's an electric vintage Epiphone that's been for sale locally (on craigslist)
  2. Re: A Reference for The Differences in oval holed Gibson A's?

If you put a 1922 A-4 in the cafe classifieds and call it a "Loar A-4" there would be a rush to the keyboards to see who can be the first to post a scathing accusation of misrepresentation. We can...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson inlays

I have studied this subject extensively over the years. My F5Journal, if you have ever seen the print version documents the entire metamorphosis for F5 Mandolin peghead inlay. In general, the...
  4. Replies
    Views

George Gruhn with his favorite guitar

This is a great video- George describes his personal Loar L5, and talks about what makes it special to him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoM1EC7I3w0

I don't have any pictures yet, though it...
  5. Re: 1923 Gibson Mandolin Production Estimate - By Model

The A-2z model was not offered prior to the year 1924.

In my opinion, based on only partial data, in the year 1924 Gibson made about 200 A-2z and then the same amount in the year 1925, for a total...
  6. 1923 Gibson Mandolin Production Estimate - By Model

To the best of my knowledge there are no surviving Gibson factory documents with production totals for the year 1923. I have produced the following estimated production, using my own private serial...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Teens Serial Numbers

We know from Ferris's report to Gibson's board of manager in 1924 (just before he was fired) that he was able to increase sales and profits. It's a reasonable assumption - but an assumption...
  8. Replies
    Views

I'm interested in Gibson mandolins, Gibson serial numbers and their meaning and possible interpretationm, and I find this discussion fascinating. How did Gibson go about production, numbering and...
  9. Replies
    Views

This would make make sense, if Gibson started building instruments and left them on the shelves in various stages of completion. And in the case of the A2-z it would make extra sense, since it has...
  10. Replies
    Views

Lewis Williams, the g.m. who was a founding partner and the man who brought Loar in, was a music teacher and an evangelical salesman. Guy Hart, who became g.m.after Williams (and after an interim...
  11. Replies
    Views

I agree with everything Walter Carter posted Several others here have made good points also.

I would like to touch something that was also posted and relay my thoughts. Here is my theory, and...
  12. Replies
    Views

It's never safe to assume anything when it comes to Gibson, so we need to keep in mind the actual evidence. We have serial numbers, we have the dated Loar labels, we have FONS and we have the actual...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 A2Z (?) questions

I'm sorry Henry, but I cannot agree. Yes, I agree that they changed in late '23 as far as their philosophy.

But I do not agree with Mr.Spanns list of FON's He clearly states 1917-1923 FON's as...
  14. Replies
    Views

This is the kind of information I do so enjoy about this site! You guys have made such an in depth and "ONGOING" study of the information. The generosity, knowledge and, the civility with which it is...
  15. Replies
    Views

Ouch, my statement didn't make sense. I accidentally mixed up FON and serial number. Of course I meant that shipping (not the FON) is tied to the serial number. Darryl, of course, you are right....
  16. Replies
    Views

I feel compelled to state my opinion here and it does not fully agree with what you have posted

"Normally" in batches of 40..........Nope. On occasion, but not normally. That number likely...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist Restoring the First Loar

Have ya'll seen this? Incredible tone coming out of that thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxUVeyNk9Ig
  18. 1938 F-5s!!!: #2 and #3 from the 801-D batch

An Absolutely Marvelous find just landed in Mandolin Central: a pair of consecutively serial numbered F-5s, number 2 and number 3 of the factory order number 801-D batch from 1938...and, they are in...
  19. Replies
    Views

Vintage Gibson F5 Scam

Some of you may have noticed that I am running an add, looking for F5 87346. This is one I used to own, and I would like to try to relocate it, if possible.
    Anyway, just to let you know there are...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar's Mando/Viola 70321

Greetings fellow lovers of Loar lore. I borrowed this unique instrument from it's very knowledgeable custodian (at the time) to see how it would sound on a recording. I tuned the instrument (as I...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Now that I know it's an 1933 A-50...

Since you say it sounds amazing, I wouldn't worry too much about what you paid...just keep it and play it. I am not so sure what you have isn't exactly an A-4 in build beyond some very small details....
  22. New Website on Vintage Musical Instrument Cases

I’ve just published a new website about Vintage Musical Instrument Cases, which includes:

A greatly expanded Geib History section. I’ve been in contact with several members of the Geib family and...
  23. Re: Excellent reference for serial numbers and all things Gibson

Anyone that is serious about Gibson serial numbers should have a copy of Gruhn's Guide as well as Joe Spann's book.

It's good to see you posting Walter.
  24. Re: Excellent reference for serial numbers and all things Gibson

While Clay Harrell has done some significant research on Strats, Les Pauls, and other models, the Gibson mandolin page on his site is pretty much straight out of Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars. The...