Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Astor Piazzola on Mandolin

O Piazzola είναι ένας από τους αγαπημένους μου συνθέτες! Ομορφη μουσική! Ευχαριστώ πάρα πολύ!

Τζο
  2. Replies
    Views

And I liked seeing all those bowlbacks!
  3. Replies
    Views

I especially enjoyed the A style, sunburst electric pickup/controls mandolin. I am quite serious. Great music has been played on "unlikely" instruments.

Kudos to August Watters. An excellent...
  4. Replies
    Views

Nothing wrong with the category you’ve chosen, Chris, thanks for sharing :mandosmiley:
  5. Replies
    Views

I like that lonely A-style among all the bowlbacks.
  6. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

Excuse me if I have already posted a similar comment. I spent quite a years trying to hold my pick the standard way after spending most of my musical life holding it between three fingers. I just...
  7. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

I hold the pick a bit differently depending on what am playing--speed, technique, style of music, etc.
    I would encourage a beginner to try different ways.
    A seasoned player who has ever only held...
  8. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

That crazy Reuven grip derives from the whole Beersheba Israeli school. It's hard to argue with results.

There are indeed right ways and wrong ways to hold a pick; generally you'll get better...
  9. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

Thile has the Genius Award, so hold it like he does.
  10. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

Found it, and it's uploading to YouTube now, will edit it in here in a minute. She had the lower bout wedged between her knees :)

The song before this was when she was really cutting up on that...
  11. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

I recently started hold my pic more like Sierra Hull does. I discovered my grip had less of an effect (when I unknowingly tense up) and the pic is far less likely to move around. It pretty much freed...
  12. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

Tobin, I like your punching holes in the paper in the Z axis comparison.:grin: Definitely not the same body mechanics. I believe his technique and bow comparison are about the way a pick sides on...
  13. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

Well, yeah, I would assume he's not trying to use actual bowing motions, and is only talking about pick grip.

But my point is that the wrist motion and shape of the device (pick, bow) is what...
  14. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

Also I think it is important to learn from teachers, as opposed to trying to emulate our musical heroes.
  15. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

Re: Tobin's points, they seem sound to me, and I know nothing of bowing at all. Where I think there is a disconnect is that perhaps you're reading too much into it. Having now read the interview, I...
  16. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

While you are not wrong, here is the pitfall, IMO.

I think that we will forget over time all the little sub-optimal compromises we made because for what we do now it doesn't matter. Eventually we...
  17. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

I've been thinking about this since yesterday.

If one defines the goal of holding a pick as being to actually pluck all four courses at a tempo sufficiently fast as to play what others recognize...
  18. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

OK, but there's still the issue that these are different instruments, and are held differently. A lap-held instrument requires you to put your arm pretty much in-line with the strings (or within,...
  19. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

Conceptually the bow is the pick is the bow....

I agree, though, that bowing and picking are two quite different ways of making an instrument sound.

This is also the theory behind those long...
  20. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

Apologies for showing an image of my "ugly" nails, but in the interest of being understood, this is the grip I was taught. I was 12 or so when my dad let me take his guitar, and his method of...
  21. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

Not sure if I am seeing this correctly, but what it looks like to me in the OP picture and the one David share is similar to the way I was taught to hold a pencil for writing in grade school - which...
  22. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

sbhikes your closed fist is one of the most difficult methods to master. You are anchored but with much more distance between the reference point and the moving pick and strings. Many of us begin...
  23. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

I naturally fell into the closed fist method like Chris Thile. I don't play at all like him though.
  24. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

Hmm. I'm not going to argue with his proficiency level, but approaching a mandolin pick like a bow seems an odd way of going about things. The wrist motion required for bowing a violin is...
  25. Re: There is no right way to hold a pick. There is only your way.

There are exceptions, and often different schools, but that doesn't mean there are no standard ways of doing things. This discussion often occurs in the context of answering a newbies question.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3