Search:

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat back bent top no label

Nice to see you back, Hany....

I think you're right to guess a Sicilian origin.

It looks like the back has a bit of a curved profile to it, which is always nice.
    The bridge does look pretty...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat back bent top no label

$65? Do it! As long as it’s decently playable, even if you don’t like it you can put new (light) strings on it and do other minor tweaks and sell it for more than that.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Divertimento - Carlo Munier

Nice tone. I'd love to hear you two play the rest of it!
  4. REGINELLA and SERENATA MALINCONICA ( Calace )(Solo Mandolin)

Please accept my humble first offerings to this part of the forum to show that Italian music is alive and well.:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg2PX4wAH1s ...
  5. Replies
    Views

adventures in Italian music

My introduction to Italian music was through recordings that were collected by a friend of mine. He would periodically send my transfers of 78s that he had found, and I would typically cringe a...
  6. Thread: La Fürstenberg

by Eugene
    Replies
    Views

Re: La Fürstenberg

Aye, + is often a generic ornament, but—in baroque-era and shortly thereafter scores—can usually be interpreted as a trill (i.e., rapidly alternating between the noted pitch [principal] and its upper...
  7. Replies
    Views

I think this paragraph from John Goodin's book "Telemann for Mandolin" may be useful:

"Telemann used the plus sign (+) to indicate a trill in most of his self-published music. Typlically in...
  8. Replies
    Views

I was introduced to this piece in a workshop with Carlo Aonzo, and the + mark was one of the first things we talked about. He was pretty clear that mark meant it was up to the player how to ornament...
  9. Thread: La Fürstenberg

by Eugene
    Replies
    Views

Need more clarification, Hany. If you're discussing the Riggieri variations, it varies with variation or even passage. Riggieri rarely specifies (he does in the 6th variation, e.g.), but it's...
  10. Replies
    Views

I extracted these pages, tried to clean them up and merged them into this single pdf file
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrr7vr8vx2fyc8t/RiggieriLaFurstemberg.pdf
  11. Replies
    Views

A good scan of an old copy: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b9078913f/f4.image. It’s the last four pages.
  12. Replies
    Views

the Nakano Collection

On the Japanese site "Circolo Mandoloinistico Fiorentino", the Nakano collection of mandolin, etc. is again available. You only have to ask for a password to access the files. I requested it and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I be insulted?

I have trouble just getting my cat to stay ON the wall hanger.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Calace method exercise 52

I’m guessing here but if I started a tremolo on the upstroke, which seems to me to be rare anyway, then I’d want to start the tremolo with an upstroke. This would avoid the inevitable hiccup that...
  15. Replies
    Views

Hmmm, I think I would find it hard not to start on a down stoke, and since I am going into tremolo and thus picking a lot quicker I think it would be ok. As to what a modern players in the Italian...
  16. Replies
    Views

Interesting question, but not easy to sort out. It looks to me like the rule given on p. 4 (that tremolo on a new string must begin with a down stroke) will decide the answer in some passages. In...
  17. Replies
    Views

Interesting, I think it’s more of a Classical question. Does emphasis go on the down beat? or the beginning of a sweep? or...?
  18. Replies
    Views

Remembering Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni

I'm saddened to share the news that our friend, composer, harpist, accordionist, professor of neuroscience, and beautiful person Evelyn T. Castiglioni passed over to the other side early this...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

The reaction to Ivan's death, underlines the fact that we really are friends here. A tribute to the nature of this site, the thoughtful way in which it's administered, and the general bond among...
  20. Mandolin sources in Yale University library

Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you my latest blog posts about some discoveries of 18th century mandolin music at Yale University Music Library.

First of all, a general blog post about Yale...
  21. Replies
    Views

Puccini's "O mio babbino caro" solo

I don't think I've ever shared this here, so here remedied. It's a super-easy (but—I like to imagine—super-effective) duo-style arrangement of Puccini's popular aria. When the aria is extracted,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: A la Nanita Nana - Christmas carol

Merry Christmas to you.
  23. Replies
    Views

The Merry Mandolin :-)

Dear mandolinist friends across the globe,

Happy Holidays to you all! There is, of course, nothing merrier than the mandolin. :grin:

On that happy note, I am delighted to announce that the...
  24. Je ne fais plus by Gilles Mureau (c 1450 - 1512)

A simple, evocative chanson by the Medieval French composer, Gilles Mureau, transcribed for trio of 2 mandolins and 8ve mandola/guitar
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: A la Nanita Nana - Christmas carol

Lovely piece, nicely done by both!
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4