Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Should a Beginner use a Marco Rebora Mandolin?

I really don't understand this question, anybody can play anything they want to.

Dave H
  2. Re: Should a Beginner use a Marco Rebora Mandolin?

FinisVitae: Hmmmm... your name has a little bit of darkness to it. End of Life? Frankly, not if you are interested in playing the mandolin. Mandolins add spice to life and can be survival tools in...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Should a Beginner use a Marco Rebora Mandolin?

You guys make good points:

Any playable mandolin is OK to learn on.

Bowlbacks are wonderful instruments, but need a bit of special care.

You can play any style of music on any sort of...
  4. Replies
    Views

If the question is whether a beginner should start with a bowlback, I answer why not? I have to believe that in the history of mandolin like instruments throughout the world more folks have started...
  5. Re: Should a Beginner use a Marco Rebora Mandolin?

A "beginner" can learn on any properly adjusted mandolin. Which one you want to acquire, may to some extent depend on what type of music you want to play once you learn. The other issue, alluded to...
  6. Replies
    Views

I may be not understanding the question.

There is no reason at all the Marco Rebora mandolin is not a good mandolin to use as a beginner. It is a great choice for a player at any level.

I...
  7. Replies
    Views

My first mandolin was a pawnshop Czech mandolin, back in 1966. It was a lot f fun,. and I still have several to play with.

If you like it, why not? The great thing about mandolins is the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Just to show what was the way to hold a mandolin in the old bowlback-era books:

https://www.themandolintuner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Holding-the-mandolin.jpg

Plus, one can stand and...
  9. Re: Should a Beginner use a Marco Rebora Mandolin?

Well, as Peter says, that's our old friend, Dave Hyndes, who's done the restoration and is demonstrating there.
    He does very good work restoring and resurrecting old Italian bowlbacks.

I own...
  10. Re: Should a Beginner use a Marco Rebora Mandolin?

David Brown has given great advice above; i.e., think about what you want to play! The video is of another David, last name Hynds. David Hynds restores old mandolins. I bought my restored Calace...
  11. Replies
    Views

Oh, wow, I get to go first...

Well, I am in the minority of folks on this forum that love bowlback mandolins. I tend to play more Italian and other music rather than the style on the video, but...