Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: If you don't have the cash for a Gilchrist

:disbelief: Yeah, if you DO have the cash for a Gilchrist Model 5 and... Oh, LOOK! You buy this instead... :confused:
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Cases

Not mandolin specific, but applicable: For years I did guitar repair for a living and likely repaired 100-125 broken off headstocks on Gibson/Gibson-style guitars. Well over half of these occurred...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble F5 #200

4. Replies
    Views

NMD - Summit Artist

Well I am adding an F to the stable. 1996 Summit Artist (#99). Mike Black did confirm that he was involved in the build and that it belonged to Mike's dad. I will include a note in the photos that...
  5. Thread: Kimble AO #101

by Perry
    Replies
    Views

Kimble AO #101

Even before listening to the Will Kimble Mandolins and Beer podcast I was curious about the whereabouts of Kimble AO #101 that I ordered from Will. It was a great mandolin and I miss it :). I had...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble F5 #200

Two reasons... firstly, a matter of comfort. For me an A model or a symmetrical two-point design feels more "balanced" when playing... especially standing up. They also weigh less than a F5. Secondly...
  7. Replies
    Views

Kimble F5 #200

To anyone out there looking for an exceptional F5 please check out 2012 Kimble #200 that is currently for sale at The Mandolin Store. I used to own this mandolin and the only reason I still don't is...
  8. Re: David Surette Mandolin Festival! May 5-7, 2023 in Concord, NH

Carleton Page was just telling me about this during my mandolin lesson last night.
  9. Replies
    Views

Impressions: Northfield A5 Special

Okay, forgive the lengthy post, but I felt compelled to write something and sure do hope that all you friends will understand that I'm only doing this because I'm so amazed at the effect receiving my...
  10. Replies
    Views

Frank Solivan and ToneSlabs picks

I’ve seen a couple “teaser” posts on FB about these but maybe they are close to actual production. I’ll have to wait for some comparison videos, myself, but the color options are different at least!...
  11. Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

this one is #293. definitely becomes a best friend quickly.
  12. Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

Go for it. His current As are outstanding and pretty consistent. They can go head to head with anything out there. I’ve tried and it’s as good or better than just about anything. Fat fundamental...
  13. Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

Not a current Duff owner, but I've had a couple of his A5s. The necks are a fairly sharp V with just a little too much depth to them for my hand. I don't think the depth is excessive--I just prefer a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Master of Bluegrass, Monroe

And after you get it, you need to get Bruce Harvie's "Mangler of Bluegrass" https://bruceharvie.bandcamp.com/album/mangler-of-bluegrass

It is a master piece in its own right!! :mandosmiley:...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: Ellis A5 Special

Finally got time to snap a few pics. 190670 190671 190672 190673
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble two point reviews?

I've had two or three of Will's two-points over the years. I am more of a pianist / guitar player than a mandolin player, but I have a hard time imagining anybody being able to do anything better at...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: bigger fret wire size

Standard size guitar wire (0.080" w X 0.043 h) is commonly used on a lot quality mandolins these days. I speculate that this originally started because skinny wire wears grooves so much quicker...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble or Duff F5?

I just bought a Duff. Oo-ee, is it good. I bought it from Skip Gorman. I've known that I liked *this particular* mandolin for a long time.

As anyone here knows, there are big differences between...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to polish picks?

Hi Rob - I've re-shaped / polished a few picks (& Thumb picks),not because they were worn or scratched,but because i like a certain point 'shape'. I use a Saphire grit nail file - pretty cheap these...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

There are times when the natural beauty of the wood outweighs my disruptive tendency to adorn it with the ego of my logo... so I leave the canvas naked...

j.

21. Replies
    Views

Ninth coat of varnish and a love affair with the delightfully lovely variations shared by the maple trees --

Steve
  22. Replies
    Views

Final checks for the Sorensen summer class of 2017.

159650 159651

This has been a really interesting and challenging build-set because every instrument is different -- 5 mandolins of different...
  23. Replies
    Views

Hope Andrew doesn't mind my posting this octave in the white. Looks so wonderful!159341
  24. Replies
    Views

Very cool, Marty, looks like a big undertaking! Is this a one-off, or a new product line for you?

I'm finishing up some inlays this week...157921
  25. Thread: Big Frets

by Pete Martin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Big Frets

I always replace frets on every instrument with large frets. Much easier to play for me.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4