Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Goodbye Planet Bluegrass????

I have been involved with Blue Grass music, mostly local/regional with sporadic national stuff, since 1977. The BG community has always done well in helping it's own by way of state BG associations...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Left hand position

My own approach to left hand technique is exactly the same on guitar and mandolin. No tension, don't support the neck with your fretting hand. Secure the instrument in place, using a strap, points,...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Joe Walsh on his Gilchrist

This one is unique. I love the tone he pulls out of that thing.

PpwLiZ4ADt8
  4. Re: musings re. bass at jams, electricity, and carved vs. flat to

Prologue: A bluegrasser since the 50's, through the purist (upright, double bass) to the newgrass (Fender, etc.) to the present (play what you brung.) The reason I'm a mandolinist is because, when...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: 1960s Morgan Monroe

That is not a 1960's instrument.

That model only appeared in the last couple of years or so....

Someone has their wires crossed!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: How long?

About a month ago I was corresponding with a well known and highly respected Luthier, he made the statement at various times about the tone changing on his Mandolins after an opening up process. Am I...
  7. Replies
    Views

Where is the scientific hypothesis you're talking about? Certainly not from post #12, all I read there is his opinion. Also I don't think I've done anything than state the experiences of many...
  8. Replies
    Views

I don't think it's the age of the Mandolin (as stated in your first sentence Post #12) as much as how often it's been played and to say it's all hype is a ludicrous statement. I doubt that the...
  9. Re: Looking for Mandolin/Guitar Duos to listen to.

Skip Gorman and Richard Starkey have a great recording of mostly duos called Late night Feast. A bit low-fi but highly recommended.

http://skipgorman.com/product/late-night-feast/
  10. Replies
    Views

This debate is odd to me. I'm not sure why someone wouldn't be able to tell if their Mandolin has opened up or not. It seems like a no brainer. As an example a year ago I acquired a Collings MF-0, it...
  11. Thread: Bill Monroe

by D C Blood
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe

Hey there Marvino...I'd venture to say that every one of those hot new young mandolin pickers you're talking about paid their dues sitting in front watching Mr. Monroe and taking notes. And would...
  12. Re: Post your favorite clips from U-Tube, let's start a collectio

Couldn't resist another one. Less than 500 views , such a crime. Reminds me of my old pickin' nights at the Millsite :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0qEep5y22A&list=UU2sd9AOWx195kH2EDwzl-FA
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for Mandolin/Guitar Duos to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnsBQBg8UZI
  14. Re: Looking for Mandolin/Guitar Duos to listen to.

I really like these guys,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPGvg8qOAU
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for Mandolin/Guitar Duos to listen to.

Caleb Klauder and Reeb Wilms.
  16. Re: HIGH DOLLAR PICKS....Yea or Nay?? Do you Use One or No Way??

I have seen very little evidence that anyone is implying that everyone else should try a Blue Chip just because they have. I have seen just the opposite. Most people have said that you should use...
  17. Thread: Bill Monroe

by twilson
    Replies
    Views

"....but musically speaking, he was every bit the innovator that the Beatles were."

Hear, hear.

Tim Wilson
  18. Thread: Bill Monroe

by Tobin
    Replies
    Views

Why is it silly? Monroe may never have reached the same level of fame and celebrity with teenage girls as the Beatles, but musically speaking, he was every bit the innovator that the Beatles were. ...
  19. Replies
    Views

To me, that's where the fiddlin' begins.
  20. Replies
    Views

The only thing I remember being any kind of "issue", and that was really back in the 70's, was that there was a bit of "aggro" sometimes between fans of "Newgrass" (with long hair) and some of the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Little Big Town!

OH c'mon! The OP was obviously joking after nine pages of TBP, please stop responding to this thread!
  22. Thread: Bill Monroe

by J.Albert
    Replies
    Views

Nick wrote above:
    [[ Years ago about 1985 I saw bill Monroe at the Norco Bluegrass festival in So Cal. ]]

Southern California?

Well, I guess that explains something right there...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: The Band Perry

You don't hear the stride piano of Art Tatum, or Oscar Peterson on the radio anymore either. I for one wouldn't want more than eight folks at a Bluegrass jam anyway. Let alone thousands of screaming...
  24. Replies
    Views

Whenever anyone points out that pop music is far more 'popular' than bluegrass, folk, or real country music (or classical, for that matter), implying it must therefore be superior, I always remind...
  25. Replies
    Views

Page 8.9.
    If I was able to I go hear Monroe.
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4