Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck shape/feel: "V" vs rounded

I own mandolins with both C and V profiles and don't have much of a preference. To me, action is the #1, 2 and 3 most important factors in playability.
  2. Replies
    Views

I love the V neck! My first mandolin had the C shape, so when my hand crafted V neck was delivered, I first thought "What?!" But it took only a few minutes to get used to it. Now, I have a hard time...
  3. Re: Neck shape/feel: "V" vs rounded

I like to consider myself a V neck fanboy :)). They're a lot more comfortable than the rounded ones, at least from my experience with them. I don't hate Mandolins with rounded necks, per se, but they...
  4. Replies
    Views

I had an Eastman 915 for a number of years then got a Gibson 2 pt. A friend told me that it is obvious that my left hand prefers the Gibson over the Eastman. Well it was obvious to her (professional...
  5. Replies
    Views

Some can adjust easier than others. My A Jr. has a slightly V shaped neck, the Boeh very round. Both those work for me. As does the smaller V on my Brentrup.

But the mid 1930's Gibson V shaped...
  6. Replies
    Views

Personally I got used to and like the C shape. All but one of my mandolins has that type of neck.

But then I acquired a 1923 Gibson A2 that has the most amazing tone AND a hard V shaped neck. At...
  7. Replies
    Views

I prefer slim shallow necks that have a V to them. Too much meat in the shoulders of D, U, or rounded V neck gets in the way for me and makes it feel like I'm fighting the neck to get around. A V...
  8. Replies
    Views

I have a rounded, nice C shape that I love, I also have a V shape that I play daily. I think you can get used to whatever you spend time on. Some love the V shape, some don't. I find both...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Dexter w/ Godin A8 anyone?

A Tonedexter already matches impedance, so there would be no need to chain it with a RedEye. Newer RedEyes, btw, will handle magnetic as well as piezo pickups.
    I've wondered the same about...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Dexter w/ Godin A8 anyone?

This makes so much sense. Maybe borrow a Loar-signed F5 to make the "imprint" on the Tonedexter, then plug the Godin into it. Or...something like the RedEye will at least make the impedance match.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: El Dorado Hopi strap

Sorry y'all, had a hell of a time uploading pics from my phone. Hopefully this works :grin:

12. Replies
    Views

30 tunes you should know!

YouTube just wiggled this video* under my nose (* courtesy David Benedict, filmed at IBMA). I had to watch, but have no idea how this resonates; so, agree, disagree? (Don't shoot the messenger!)
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickgaurds on my Eastman Octave and Mandola

Yes, you should drill a pilot hole. Failure to do so may result in a cracked heel.
    Choose a drill bit that is the size of the solid shaft of the screw [not the width of the thread].
    You can use a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickgaurds on my Eastman Octave and Mandola

I have the same two Eastman instruments, even including the K&K, and now they're both jealous - those pickguards look great!
    I did have a strap button installed on the treble side of the heel of the...
  15. Re: Pickgaurds on my Eastman Octave and Mandola

Those look nice!

When I had an eastman octave I tied it between the tuners because attaching at the neck/body joint yielded a very neck-heavy package. You can tie a strap somewhere in the neck...
  16. Replies
    Views

My two treasures...

After 20 years of swapping around and trying pretty much everything, an endeavor characterized by a complete absence of craving anything like a "holy grail" and instead pure PLAY, I have found my two...
  17. Replies
    Views

Sierra Hull "E-Tune"

OK then

SFBOYY_sLNs
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Economy or alternate picking

.....& Django Reinhardt played that way before Chet Atkins was born... ;)
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MDO305 OM strings...again

The EJ-72 is what I’ve used since I got my MDO-305 two years ago. I may consider going a little heavier when I next change strings but I find no fault with the EJ-72.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MDO305 OM strings...again

They're long enough, they play fine, and they sound much better! Lot's of folks on this forum recommend the switch from the stock J80's to J72's. I went even further - to J76's. See this thread:...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandola vs Octave Mandolin

How about mandola with octave and no mandolin or guitar. I have a Weber Yellowstone Mandola and a Weber Black Ice Octave ( which I think is the equivalent of a Yellowstone just the special finish)...
  22. Eastman MD305 With Added Abbreviated Pickguard

If anyone was curious what a MD305 looks like with a pickguard, here's mine. Art Deco pickguard from Hill Country Strings, definitely improves my picking (I'm a planter) and I just love how it looks....
  23. Replies
    Views

Sierra on Fretboard Journal

She really is good, you know.

Well, we all know that of course, but honestly, just watch how she covers the whole of the fretboard, watch how effortlessly she uses her pinky - indeed her whole...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Metal Solos

New solo this month: The Trooper by Iron Maiden

https://youtu.be/T1yLADLFW9Y
  25. Replies
    Views

Rocky Top - Song Breakdown and Sheet Music

Hey all

I just added a new song breakdown for Rocky Top. The post includes 2 voicings for the main melody, 2 harmony ideas, and 1 double stop voicing along with a few chord voicing options. ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2