Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

I don’t mind F-holes. It’s the A-holes I find really annoying. :))
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

I haven’t played one but noticed a used one here in the states at a pretty good price, although I’d want to have more info about the tailpiece issue. The hand rest that’s missing is problem easy to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Jug Band Music in New England

Update: our near-Boston jug band jam is finally up and running again! Second Tuesday of the month in Arlington MA. Details here: https://meetu.ps/c/4p9kz/jMDHP/a
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

Don’t laugh. For me a holy grail sort-of-A would be a 1928 national TRICONE mandolin. Please note I wrote tricone, not triolian - national made a few triple-cone mandolins before switching to single...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Obessed with the tenor banjo

Ah, the “Irish tenor” obsession. Mine is the trad jazz counterpart.

Good to know that there is still a place for fifths- tuned banjos.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Obessed with the tenor banjo

I get it too.
    First I found a Gibson trap door tb5. Then a paramount F. Then a Vega artist. Then a silver bell #3. Then a slingerland troubadour. Then a Gibson ball bearing tb5. Help!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

The monteleone “style B” that just hit the classifieds could certainly be considered a holy grail A.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about flat wound strings

Thomastiks are a different breed of flat wound imo. Silky compared to the d’addarios. Higher priced but longer lasting, and very easy playing. As others have commented, great for some instruments, a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Sampler 2 is on its way to slaminsam. Great fun checking out picks. The surprise for me was the Gravity acrylics - I've ordered a couple.

I have a bunch of picks I'll never use that happen to...
  10. The Great Northeast Jug Band Festival (and JAM!) September 30

Hi Jug Band Fans,

Please join us for the THIRD Great Northeast Jug Band Festival, this year featuring performances by Amy Kucharik and Friends with Benefits; The Busted Jug Band, and Washboard...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Framus Black Rose Baby

I’ve got one of the deluxe cutaways - very different from my other mandolins, monster sustain because if it’s deep body. Maybe you won’t get famous, but you’ll keep yourself entertained. I agree that...
  12. Thread: Jug Band music

by mjbee
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jug Band music

You mean this one?

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2023/08/2010s-unmarked-frying-pan.html

Yup, you caught me - although I can’t take credit for building it. Found it collecting dust at a...
  13. Thread: Jug Band music

by mjbee
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jug Band music

Hi folks. I see this is an old thread. For what it’s worth, we have a bit of a jug band revival going on here in Massachusetts. I just hosted an evening outdoor concert featuring three local bands:...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Slingerland Liberty resonator tenor guitar

I bet it’s like the maybell cathendranolas : a ply or birch disc sitting upon a cavity, vibrating separately from the body. If so, (I had one for a while) it’ll be it’s own thing: not as raucous as...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Why So Few Resonator Mandolins?

I’ve owned several different reso mandolins (vintage dobros, nationals, and Del vecchios). I recently bought an RM1 - and sold it a month later! To me, the more modern reso lacked the “vintage vibe”...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: strap for bowl back mandolin ?

If it was an Italian bowl back, I’d say spaghetti straps ….
    (Sorry, it’s been one of those days …)
  17. Just arrived: Bumgarner Selmer-style Gypsy Octave Mandolin

Hi folks,
    I'm the proud owner of a unique octave mandolin created by Craig Bumgarner. Craig is well regarded in the gypsy guitar world, designing instruments based on Selmer, Busato, and DiMauro...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Puglisi Wood-topped banjo-mandolin

And here's what the Puglisi looks and sounds like after Jake Wildwood worked his magic:
    https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2022/02/1920s-puglisi-reale-bandonian-style.html
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Puglisi Wood-topped banjo-mandolin

No closed box on this thing. Here's a close-up. The top seems to be "suspended": lots of "airspace" between the sound board and resonator. 199430
  20. Replies
    Views

Puglisi Wood-topped banjo-mandolin

I've got a thing for round mandolins (or maybe they are wood-topped banjo-mandolins???). I have a Tieri, and today I happened upon this Puglisi in an antique shop. Scarfed it up, and now it's on...
  21. Thread: Easy Jazz chords

by mjbee
    Replies
    Views

Re: Easy Jazz chords

Looking at the photo on the lower left and now I get it! THAT’S what people meant when they said I needed to “grow a pair”! :grin:
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Loose tuner button on L&H style C

I had the same problem with my framus black rose baby deluxe. Forum folk suggested CA glue, and it worked like a charm. Here’s the thread....
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What's the best room/apt humidifier?

If you’re talking about humidifying a room to protect your instruments, here’s some good advice:http://www.burgessviolins.com/humidity.html
    I’ve basically adopted this system, using the sunbeam warm...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: I have MAS and check the classified hourly…

30+ instruments in, I finally realized, money aside, it’s far easier to acquire than to offload. Duh! That’ll learn me! Such insight might be an MAS cure. Might need to write it on the instrument...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Ever heard of a "guitar chair?!"

Looks like this banjo-mandolin began life as a barstool! Naugahyde top!...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3