Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The Frog Galliard (Dowland)

100% in favor of a Dowland Renaissance! Yes, let's hear more.
  2. Replies
    Views

The Frog Galliard (Dowland)

As a young man, John Dowland worked for the English ambassador in Paris when negotiations were in progress for the marriage of Elizabeth I to the Duke of Anjou and Alençon. He was referred to as "the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for good acoustic mandolin album

Chop, Shred & Split- Danny Knicely!
    Must listen!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommend me some Irish folk bands

although mostly 1970s to early 2k - Mick Maloney was one the premier Irish mandolinist, Gerald Trimble though mostly a cittern player and mostly Breton music, also plays mandolin or his arrangements...
  5. Replies
    Views

Andy Irvine is 80

Hard to think of him as an 80 year old, but there was an 80th birthday celebration gig for him in Dublin last night.

I am absolutely certain that many of us would not be on this site today, or...
  6. Ukrainian Tune #1 Waltz in Am staff notation w/ TAB

Hi mandolinists,

In sympathy with the Ukrainian people, I wanted to share a Ukrainian folk tune, a waltz in Am, with staff notation and TAB.

The TAB is just the most basic version, I often...
  7. Norman Blake & Saint Elmo Slim - T.A.G. Railroad Rag

If I could play like this just once I would call my musical career accomplished.
    I believe that's a Lyon and Healy style C maybe?

PyB7Jlfm6yY
  8. Re: 2021 CMSA Convention in San Diego Cancelled

I agree that this is disappointing. I know that the San Diego folks have put so much work into preparation and several great events were planned. (The Rudy Cipolla celebration comes first to mind.)
  9. Re: 2021 CMSA Convention in San Diego Cancelled

You should all know that last year's virtual event was surprisingly successful and well organized. I am disappointed, but I know the people who run this organization as well as some of the guest...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: My latest build: A medieval gittern

Sound and video sample:
    8VMKy4nCK5M
  11. Poets in Time for mandolin orchestra, free

I've just created a web page for another of my older mandolin orchestra pieces from my backlog. This one was commissioned by Douglas Back for his Fretworks ensemble at the Baldwin Magnet School in...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

I remember the workshop that DougC mentions at the CMSA in Minneapolis and it was a great one. My memory is that we got him to talk a little about the preparation for and recording of the Original...
  13. Newly discovered mandolin and orchestra pieces (Vienna 1820)

Hi all,

I've posted a new blog article about my latest find. I discovered two manuscripts with music for mandolin and orchestra (violin 1, 2, viola, basso, flutes 1&2, horns 1&2) from Ernest...
  14. Replies
    Views

A medieval citole

Here's a medieval citole which I built for a customer here in the UK:

https://i.imgur.com/pIOP2Lt.jpg

And here's a sound and video sample I did before it was shipped out:

kQiN6FlOBI4
  15. Replies
    Views

A child's size oud

Here's a children's size oud (scale length of 45cm) which I built for a customer in the USA:

https://i.imgur.com/PM8tmfP.jpg

And here's a sound and video sample I did before it was shipped out:...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Negative harmony.

The musical examples in the video would have been easier to comprehend and would have sounded more palatable if they had been re-voiced so that each note in the old chord led to its closest neighbor...
  17. Discovered 2nd edition of Leone, Sonatas vol. 1

Hi all, I was able to spot an unknown newer edition of Leone's first volume of mandolin sonatas. (First edition 1767, newer edition 1768-1774). You can read all about it on my blog post and download...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: That famous cello prelude, deconstructed

Here, I respectfully disagree (respectfully, of course). "Piece" and "work" (depending on scale/scope) in generic reference to music has been status quo for a very long time, no commoditizing or...
  19. Replies
    Views

Fond Memories, Fond Wishes

Dear mando-kin around the world,

I hope that you and yours are all well despite these dreadful times that we are traversing. "This too shall come to pass" never sounded more optimistic; we must...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: CMSA Convention in the Clouds

I'm having a great time and learning a lot. I get the point that $150 for non-members might seem like a lot (I would have suggested a slightly lower price point) but attending the physical convention...
  21. Replies
    Views

For mandocello players, we already saw Fabio Giudice's presentation, based on the Bickford Mandocello Method book recently modernized in bass clef by Ben Ash. As Bob said, recorded and available to...
  22. Replies
    Views

Me too! Cheers again, Barry.
  23. Renaissance cittern with 1/4 comma meantone fretting

Here's my latest renaissance cittern:
    https://i.imgur.com/2qya2FY.jpg
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocellos at CMSA

As I am preparing for the CMSA event, including Fabio Giudice's workshop and my own Mandocello Hangout session, I need to send out a huge THANK YOU to the people behind this wonderful Mandolin Cafe...
  25. Re: Is playing TABS detrimental to really learning?

I find your use of invective (“parochial”, “prejudice”) lacking in imagination and creativity. Also, you read my posts a bit carelessly. I never said the learning TAB detracts from more productive...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3