Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

I’ve only played 1 Loar, and it had a very lovely sound. Of affordable instruments, there’s a Duff and a Sullivan I lust for, although neither are for sale. I’ve played several very nice mandolins...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

I concur with pops and Mark. You've got two different things you're talking about testing. Plugging a preamp into the Fishman is basically doubling down on the preamp(s), which will give you a very...
  3. Replies
    Views

I'd reiterate what others have said - plug the instrument and preamp into a recording interface, and either monitor directly via headphones, or record and playback. You could even compare directly...
  4. Replies
    Views

There's two different areas of testing here. Getting the best sound out of your plugged in instrument and getting the best sound in a room. Testing through your amp is a great way to find what EQ...
  5. Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

I kind of agree with what @Jay posted, though, admittedly, direct recording of the signal is not going to sound like your instrument going into a PA. However, what you have at home may not respond...
  6. Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

Why not use an A/B switch and a line splitter?
  7. Replies
    Views

Hi Josh,
    In my experience, the only way to do these A-B tests is to record samples into your DAW and and listen back with studio monitors or good headphones. You'll have the best chance of pin...
  8. Replies
    Views

The Fishman input is set for a transducer without a preamp, so plugging into that will give you a different sound than plugging into the PA. If you want to get used to your preamp, so it is easy for...
  9. Replies
    Views

My recommendation would be to go ahead and set up your mixer and one or more PA speaker and set up a GoPro or other recording method to actually hear what it sounds like out at audience position. I...
  10. Replies
    Views

In my admittedly very limited experience primarily playing at church (sometimes through the PA and sometimes with a Fender Passport), it’s hard to get them preset at home because each room is going...
  11. Re: Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of Janu

Ronnie McCoury Month | Day 26: All Aboard

This is the last day of the month which means this is the last video I have scheduled! What a crazy month it has been, I've learned so much from these...
  12. Re: 2023 Gibson Varnish Fern played by Wyatt Ellis

The beginning does sound like Southern Flavor, but he then goes into Monroe's Pocahantas for the majority of the video.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade Fever

The KM-950 is indeed an excellent instrument and the price would allow purchase of a tone-guard, arm rest, and a BlueChip should you choose per the good recommendation listed above.

If you want...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: 30 tunes you should know!

Some of y'all are taking this waaayy too seriously. It's a fun video with snap opinions and some killer licks. It's not meant to be dispositive or authoritative any more than the local newspaper's...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Jam…just kidding.

So having said my piece, I feel buoyed by those that agree and encouraged to take what I can get with grace by those with an open mind, but TX2AK got one thing wrong…my annual jam and cookout is not...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Jam…just kidding.

Point somewhat taken, but the difference in your metaphor is that games have very specific and definitive rules; music is quite the opposite and ever evolving. Nothing wrong with being a purist and...
  17. Thread: Here It Is

by lowtone2
    Replies
    Views

Here It Is

https://youtu.be/ovvPyVeaMec?si=o1zq39Xrko3QJH7e
  18. Re: The Acoustic Shoppe Rank Top Ten Mandolin Builders

It is all very subjective, I agree. Please watch this section of the video again as I acknowledge that my opinion is meaningless and arbitrary and there are too many great builders to list that...
  19. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

Victor Wooten talks a lot about how to learn music. He compares it to how we learn language. First we learn to hear, then we mimic the sounds trying to jam with people. Only later do you learn to...
  20. An afternoon picking w/ Andrew Marlin & the Griffith Loar

https://youtu.be/FqcVKoA6ZLs

Thought folks might enjoy seeing photos from an afternoon picking session over at Matt Ruhland's place yesterday (and a truck...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Jarrod Walker's Loar?

“It’s a Gibson distressed model.” Text from Jarrod himself. :)
  22. Re: multi-instrumentalists: how do you manage your time?

I don’t, I am entirely ruled by my passions, and I have no control over what I will do next.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Here's my sad mandolin story...

Josh, that mandolin is a fantastic example of Steve’s work. I think it has spent much time in the case so I found it to be sleepy but you can tell it is there. It has that Gilchrist low end without...
  24. Black Rock Serenaders - Broken Dreams (Buck White) - Ruhland F5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8SDL8eOVAE

Here's a video of my group playing Buck White's instrumental Broken Dreams from his album Buck White & The Down Home Folks

I'm playing a Ruhland...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Is It Possible to Fake It?

Dear original poster Sherry,
    You mentioned having an accountant's brain. I'm going to assume you're comfortable with math and numbers, and would like to observe that those skills are a...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4