Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The Pentatonic Mandolin

There is a very short video on Youtube of Wayne Benson talking about this book and that was enough for me to order it. One of the best decisions I've ever made, as it's probably the best mandolin...
  2. Replies
    Views

Niles teaching materials are some of the best.
  3. Replies
    Views

It is simply a quick explanation of how moving the closed pattern up or down the neck will give you a different scale. By lowering the first finger to the 4th fret and starting on the B...
  4. Thread: Pick Edges

by dhergert
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Edges

Ultimately it depends on the kind of pick a person uses. If it's a hard material like a BC pick, yes, filing or sanding the edge can work, although if it's that hard it may not need this kind of...
  5. Thread: Pick Edges

by David L
    Replies
    Views

They are hiding out with the unmatched socks.
  6. Thread: Pick Edges

by lflngpicker
    Replies
    Views

Makes sense. I have tried that too when I wanted to reduce the pointed-ness of a particular pick. Glad you shared this tip!
  7. Thread: Pick Edges

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Yay! I was going to say, if it sounds great, do it twice!
  8. Thread: Pick Edges

by JeffLearman
    Replies
    Views

One of the big reasons I like the (blue) Dunlop Tortex picks is that I don't have this problem, like I did with the classic plastic picks like Fender.

And when one gets worn out, I throw it away...
  9. Thread: Pick Edges

by David L
    Replies
    Views

The contour of the pick edge is as important as the smoothness. Whether there is a sharp point to the edge or more of a curve makes a big difference in the tone.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Personal Mandolin Monitor

How is your mandolin being picked up so far? If you don’t have a pickup (or at least a suitable good mic already), chances are that if you can only hear 50% of yourself, everybody else in the room...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Personal Mandolin Monitor

It might be more money than you want to spend but the Bose S1Pro, which is battery powered, would work perfectly IMO.

Billy
  12. Thread: Pick Edges

by Jim Garber
    Replies
    Views

I have used similar nail buffer when making custom picks out of Ultem plastic. I used Dremel and coarser sandpaper initially but ended with nail buffer.
  13. Thread: Pick Edges

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

I use a sharp knife and scrape it across the pick like a scraper. It works well and gives a nice smooth edge.
  14. Thread: Pick Edges

by TheMandoKit
    Replies
    Views

I have used a similar nail buffer on my fingernail tips for years (I'm primarily a fingerstyle guitar player). They give the nails a nice smooth edge that gives an attack on the strings without...
  15. Thread: Pick Edges

by J Mangio
    Replies
    Views

Pick on...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to Play the Mandolin

I play for an audience of one-me. When I do play at jams I chop on the 2 and 4 and sing harmony. I have also adopted the B.B. King method ....play the instrument and don't sing or sing but don't...
  17. Replies
    Views

Uncle Paul, a couple thoughts. It sounds like you are well along on your journey, just not happy where you are. Maybe we can step back a bit, and think about your goals.

Dependence on sheet...
  18. Replies
    Views

Brad,

I just took up the mandolin and I don't really play it, yet. I know maybe four chords. But... I go to YouTube and just type the words " Backing Track " and pick something not fast paced rock...
  19. Replies
    Views

I’ve headed up our youth praise band for several years now (though we’ve only played a couple of times since Rona hit), and say to just keep at it. You’ll figure out how to work the mandolin into the...
  20. Replies
    Views

You mentioned that there are no mandolin parts in the praise music you play, so you have used your knowledge of theory to add some parts. I'm not very familiar with praise music, but I am familiar...
  21. Replies
    Views

I hereby nomiate Uncle Brad for "The Most Thoughtful Response on the Internet" award!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Does my mandolin sound cheap???

Let's not forget this gem

https://youtu.be/-tCoGGcsi0I

There's plenty more good authorities providing advice on the tubes, as well
  23. Replies
    Views

John Suhr, who makes awesome electric guitars, has a pretty great quote, something like: Most tone problems can be cured with practice.

Tone is an ongoing journey, and you’re at the beginning of...
  24. Replies
    Views

As mentioned by Montana Matt it appears you're only playing downstrokes. Try practicing a four note half scale using down up down up. For instance start on the D note (3rd string open) and work up...
  25. Replies
    Views

Also, you can change your tone by drying different pick materials, thickness and shape, as well as the way you are attacking the strings.
Page 1 of 2 1 2