Search:

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Big ol' baby looking for reassurance

Look into a download of Rob Meldrum’s Mandolin Setup Book. It’s here and free on The Mandolin Cafe’.Whether you decide to set it up yourself or not, it is a good mandolin tutorial. R/
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Arthritis

I suspect that this will sound ridiculous…. i wash my dishes by hand before I play. That loosens my stiff joints enough to get them working fairly well. There is no good answer as the meds either are...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

Well... I play mandolin, fiddle and guitar in my church band. No one in the congregation has complained about my mandolin renditions of hymns or the grassier tunes that come in for "specials". Maybe...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: My Journey so far.

Enjoy the process. Your mandolin will continue to open up and your technique will continue to improve. A better instrument will find you when the time comes. Or head over here to a Nashville visit...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Attack, pick and string gauge

Well a Djangophile is among us. Welcome. OK.... right hand loose fingers loose wrist, if you don't drop your pick occasionally you are clutching it too tightly. Pick shape is very personal... I like...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

DavidKOS, While your explanations often leave me scratching my head, I always find them interesting and informative. Thank you and do continue with your "splaining". So much to know, so little room...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternatives to EJ-74

Curt Mangan Phosphor Bronze strings. These are light, medium, and medium heavy gauges. The "E" is either .10, .11 or .115. I do recommend Just Strings for a bulk purchase of different brands of...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Going to check out a jam session

Well... in truth I have to say acoustically you likely won't even be heard over the drums. So going and playing or not won't affect the overall "tone" of the jam. Insofar as fitting in, check out...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 30 tunes you should know!

I wonder how many times D.B. heard, " Somebody already chose that". Or possibly, how that effected his choice of content. I found that I knew many of those tunes and play them. Another few I learned...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Jam…just kidding.

Well, any time I go to a jam I know it's going to be a hit or miss proposition. Even jams that were cool and 'grassy last time I went can become a complete bust with a different crew. Skill levels...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: My 3 Ring Binder is a PITA

OnSong...... Scan your sheets, upload them to Dropbox, a freebie, then Onsong will pick them up from Dropbox. Works great. R/
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: String advice sought

I have to put in another vote for Curt Magnan Phosphor Bronze strings. They last me well and I play off, and on, many hours weekly. Depends on how much I need to work on a fiddle tune. I also like...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Ability to Jam

Well, this isn't something that happens overnight. Firstly learn the I, IV, V and VIm with the associated arpeggios and pentatonic scales. II, IIm come next. Listen while you are playing and learn to...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Case handle replacements?

Give these folks a try. They have many styles so if you can't find exactly what you want they may have something that will work. R/

https://ohiotravelbag.com/pages/products
  15. Re: I forgot to use the "sideways" tines on the tailpiece - ?

Well… I took my mandolin to David Harvey for re-fretting. When it came back the two sideways tangs had been used in the re-stringing. I figured if Mr. Harvey did it that way there must be some...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Picking the right mandolin

If you are looking at Eastman mandolins look into Kentucky mandolins also. Indeed it is all about tonal preference and what you may reasonably afford. I prefer that tone of Kentucky instruments....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Golden Gate Large Triangle X Stiff

OK... I will give these a shot. At 2$ a piece shipped I can afford to do that. I have been using BC's for a decade but I am always curious to tryout something new. I have tried casein picks but I...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about mandolin necks

I always rather liked the 88 to 93 Flatiron and Gibson mandolins. The 1 1/16' at the nut may have you having one built to your spec. Good luck in your search. R/
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: What PA gear brands do you favor?

Fishman and Bose are my go to brands. R/
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

One band that may not have been mentioned is the Henhouse Prowlers. Definitely worth a listen. R/
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

I ordered one at age 65. I am still smiling when I play it. R/
  22. Poll: Re: A Mandolin - Need Hardshell Case and Amplifier

Roland and Silver Creek....
    These are excellent cases and will move to another mandolin without concern....
  23. Re: I've owned an A-style for 72 hours and already hate the shape

One thing you might try is putting one foot higher than the other. This may give you enough to set your "A" on. R/
  24. Re: Can an instrument be too good that it stunts your growth?

No it won't .... Start with the best instrument you may afford. Make sure that it has a good setup. If you are one of the few millionaires on the planet start at the top. You won't regret it/. R/
  25. Re: BG jam: folks get annoyed if you're not playing standard lick

Well .... Playing with ... kind of sets the stage ... versus playing over ... always support the song or tune ... good timing, being in tune, don't step on the vocals and be aware of the spirit of...
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4