Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: KM1000 Spec Question -- side width?

Everyone’s brain works differently, so take this FWIW, but it really helped me to forget the “upside down guitar” thing and just approach the mandolin like a completely new instrument. Your flat...
  2. Re: 2012 Kentucky KM1000 Varnish Question from a Newbe...

I'd hang onto it unless you need the money otherwise. Import prices are only rising, and Eastman 315s, which are much lower on the "appointments" scale, are retailing new around $700 now. You're...
  3. Re: 2012 Kentucky KM1000 Varnish Question from a Newbe...

I picked up a mandolin at age 66 two years ago. Firstly, divorce yourself from any comparisons between instruments. It is not an upside down anything. No good can come of it. Secondly, you won't get...
  4. Re: 2012 Kentucky KM1000 Varnish Question from a Newbe...

As a 73 year old guitar picker (or anything else for that matter), trying to learn to play mandolin will be like trying to learn a new language. That window of opportunity may have already closed. At...
  5. Re: 2012 Kentucky KM1000 Varnish Question from a Newbe...

Absolutely! I agree Mandoplumb. Sure beats that half step at the fourth fret on the B guitar string... (said by a guitar lover).

The mandolin gives me a lot more sanity with the fifths pattern! ...
  6. Re: 2012 Kentucky KM1000 Varnish Question from a Newbe...

The mandolin is tuned right, it's those others that are upside down!!!
  7. Re: 2012 Kentucky KM1000 Varnish Question from a Newbe...

A varnished Kentucky KM1000 is a pro level instrument and worth holding on to. That said, if you have an interest in upgrading to something made in the USA, you will have no problem selling. Thanks...
  8. Re: 2012 Kentucky KM1000 Varnish Question from a Newbe...

I agree with Andy's reply. This is a really nice mando. I have a beloved KM-1000 that I gig with, and I am not parting with it. It has shown over and over again that it is a capable instrument. Of...
  9. Re: 2012 Kentucky KM1000 Varnish Question from a Newbe...

FWIW, my thoughts are: That’s a beautiful mandolin, and if it sounds as nice as it looks you got a great deal for $1,300. You might be hard pressed to do as well should you sell it and later decide...
  10. Replies
    Views

Change your strings right now!

Good Lord, what a difference!

Like night and day! Like the sun coming out of the clouds.

Put down the mouse and change your mandolin strings.

Do it right now!
  11. Re: Why did you choose the mandolin over another instrument?

Well, it's this way...My college friend (a guitar player, and a good singer), his cousin, (a banjo player, and a good tenor singer) and I (an adequate guitar player [whoops; one to many] who could...
  12. Re: Why did you choose the mandolin over another instrument?

Because I suck on violin!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

Actually the in my background (I'm Iranian) every one here is somewhat familiar with the Italian sound of the mandolin. Like no one knows what a mandolin is but when you play them like torna a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Ancient New-Bee Questions

Yup, new strings asap. New strings may jangle a bit at first but they settle down after a day or two. Old strings are notoriously hard to tune or keep in tune not to mention you really ought to...
  15. Replies
    Views

Beautiful mandolin, man! (Great picture too.)
  16. Replies
    Views

Fresh strings as soon as the old ones seem hard to tune
    Mandolin style picks
    Open strings are perfectly fine for the first year or two
  17. Replies
    Views

I had a health issue that made it impossible to fret anything for two years. I bought a pedal steel so I could continue playing music. For that whole time, I struggled to play that thing. Totally...
  18. Replies
    Views

Welcome, bjewel. The trepidations will be eliminated soon and are, even now, more than overbalanced by the pleasures of playing actual notes and stuff on that mandolin. Re all your questions "if it...
  19. Replies
    Views

Well ... you have a fine instrument to make your mandolin journey with. Strings can be changed one pair at a time without the bridge moving. The correct location of the bridge is imperative because...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Ancient New-Bee Questions..

Q 1: I prefer the sound if "broke in" strings.... (the sound/tone you get after a couple of days). Brand new strings sound shrill to me. I like um a bit mellowed.

Q 2: I like my action a bit...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Ancient New-Bee Questions..

New strings are definitely the way to go. Old strings can make any good mandolin sound dead, and not feel as good while you’re playing it. My favorite string is Elixir Nanoweb, and I can get about 3...
  22. New Gilchrists land at Carter Vintage Guitars

Note from Carters just now and a couple of photos. Don't know anything about what was shipped other than all were spoken for Christie's note:

"All arrived safe and sound. Steve, Jo Brooks of...
  23. Re: Great photos for the classifieds... help!

Hey buddy ,I'm far from what I call a good photographer, just make sure ya have good light without to much shine spots! That's what I go with, I've had a few hundred ads over the years...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Great photos for the classifieds... help!

There are basic principles. Plenty of light, nice background, pay attention to framing. Also, I prefer non-close-up shooting, meaning from at least several feet away---use your digital zoom for...
  25. Re: Great photos for the classifieds... help!

Here ya go: http://www.wikihow.com/Take-A-Good-Picture-On-Your-Camera-Phone

Google search is your friend.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4