Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How to remember tunes?

"all the tunes"? Memory needs concentration. Do not play 10 tunes from tab, but play one from ear over and over, until it haunts you and you hum it in your sleep. When you reach that point of not...
  2. Replies
    Views

I’d never thought of that as an art. But since the question is about memory, there is ample evidence that some have better memory than others. There is also ample evidence than memory can be improved...
  3. Replies
    Views

I would also suggest trying some of the tunes you've played the most, and feel the most comfortable with, without looking at the tablature. You can get your brain convinced through repetition, that...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Strategies for learning without teachers?

I’m coming up on 5 years of playing, and most all of my instruction has been via video. Sharon Gilchrist’s courses have been great resources, and Chad Manning’s PegHead course on music theory is...
  5. Re: Shocking news!

Adding my prayers.
  6. C.J. Lewandowski has been diagnosed with COVID-19

I have just been informed that C.J. Lewandowski has been diagnosed with Covid 19! Pray for his prompt and full recovery, please?
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: impulse purchase - non-mando

It’s actually very intuitive, and, if you become proficient, you’ll get gigs when the world
    Re-opens. As a dabbler, it’s painfully boring to practice alone but great fun to play in a band setting. A...
  8. Replies
    Views

Difficult week for musicians

Johnny Nash, reggae singer who did I can See Clearly Now died yesterday,
    Along with Eddie Van Halen. Helen Reddy and Mac Davis died earlier in the week.

It is a tough week.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 7th fret: 3rd or 4th fingers?

There are variations in how people notate the digits for music, but this is what I prefer and teach - useful for fingerstyle guitar:

Left hand (or actually, fretting hand)

o, or 0 = open string...
  10. Re: 1 hour 11 min of Mandolin Orange-Green Mountain Bluegrass

Yes, I have seen this one before ... but it's just as good the second time round.
  11. Re: Unexpected things/benefits about playing mandolin

I first saw my wife at a jam at Wintergrass that I got invited to as I was walking past the registration desk. Talk about unexpected! Can't be any better than that:)
  12. Unexpected things/benefits about playing mandolin

Starting this as a companion thread to the "why mandolin" thread.

I started mando as an easier guitar with a unique voice, but over the years have had many unexpected and pleasant surprises about...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: 7th fret: 3rd or 4th fingers?

The pinky is short with a limited range of motion for most everyone. Something to try - can you reach the seventh fret with your pinky if your ring finger is on the fifth fret? If yes, then put your...
  14. 1 hour 11 min of Mandolin Orange-Green Mountain Bluegrass

Full set

may have already made its way here, i just saw it tonight-enjoy, and enjoy again if its a second time around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGOCEMRYp7Q

15. Re: Ukulele Chords Played on Mandolin: Something is Wrong

there are steel string electric ukes (steel for the magnetic pickups)
    you can use a Uke tuning like dGbe also called tenor guitar Chicago tuning..

to be more guitar familiar,, Violin &...
  16. Re: Ukulele Chords Played on Mandolin: Something is Wrong

If you go to this address http://tabtransposer.com/index.php
    you can select the instrument you're playing (guitar or ukulele, or mandolin...) then you paste the song you just copied
    You can...
  17. Re: Ukulele Chords Played on Mandolin: Something is Wrong

Yak51fish, get yourself a ukulele. They are inexpensive, and you can play ukulele fingerings on them.
  18. Re: Ukulele Chords Played on Mandolin: Something is Wrong

The Learn/Listen section on this website has loads of mandolin chords. So if, for example, you needed G, C and D chords to play a song, just look up the relevant chord shapes and learn them,
    . ...
  19. Re: Ukulele Chords Played on Mandolin: Something is Wrong

I'm sure we already got to the bottom of this one. I looked at that page, these were the chords:
    If you already play guitar or one of the other instruments, that could help, but the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Sight read tab?

Good point, Louise. That's likely why when I play any fretted instrument, I'm barely conscious of the location of a given note in terms of what numbered fret it happens to be on. Because I started...
  21. Re: Ukulele Chords Played on Mandolin: Something is Wrong

Mandolins are tuned differently than guitar or uke if you have tabs you shouldn use the fingerings but can use the chord name. Most tabs give the name of the chord as well as the fingerings. Get a...
  22. Re: Ukulele Chords Played on Mandolin: Something is Wrong

Assuming your mando strings are tuned to the right pitches, playing uke chord shapes will not get you the same chord as on a uke. If you play the 1-finger C chord shape that works on a uke, on a...
  23. Re: Ukulele Chords Played on Mandolin: Something is Wrong

Which site is that? Could you link an example so we can see what you were seeing, please.
  24. Re: Ukulele Chords Played on Mandolin: Something is Wrong

If I understand this properly, you're choosing U for ukelele on your tuner, and applying it to tuning your mandolin. The mandolin is normally tuned differently than a uke (standard mandolin tuning...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Sight read tab?

Yep, "sight reading" (in tempo) is the goal as others have stated......

As a kid in the 60's I took guitar lessons and my sister took piano. Her first teacher was an older guy, a real square who...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3