Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

New Apitius Club Jazz Mandolin acquisition…

Here’s a few pics of a special order Apitius Club Jazz mandolin I just just received. I knew Oliver Apitius was a one man shop, and wondered if he could do a custom headstock inlay . I provided him...
  2. New Chord melody...with special Guests!

THE VERY THOUGHT OF EWE (YOU)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9BJ7etKnCo
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

Joe, I had that big time with the regular phosphor bronze sets and even the EXP versions. Nasty green junk. I can destroy a set of those pretty quickly.
    I switched to either Nickel Bronze or Monel...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Mandolin Headquarters

Kentucky 5000, not everyone’s cup of beer.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Sam Bush hospitalized!!!

Howdy Music Lovers, I’m up and walking the outdoor track on a beautiful day (chair along just in case). Thank you for all your help, concern, encouragement & support. I feel your energy & I’m so...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin sound changing over time

While it doesn't reach the level of scientific evidence, go watch Jill's tune a week thread. First video is the mandolin at brand new. We will eventually have 52 consecutive videos one week apart to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: A nod to Ratliff Mandolins

I find it impressive that Audie has made 46 mandolins in the past 2 years...my #1148 is from May 2017.
  8. Replies
    Views

Hmmm... I've been drooling over a bunch of Collings mandos for a while now. But now you've got my wheels turning on checking into Ratliffs!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone from SWFL?

Hi Joe,

I used to live in Port Charlotte and there used to be an amazing open jam every Thursday night in Gilchrist Park on the banks of the beautiful Peace River in Punta Gorda. These used to...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Thinking I might have to do a speed neck

I speed necked my '56 F-12 shortly after getting it about 18 years ago. After scraping off the sticky black finish, I sanded to the bare wood and then let it build up a "natural" patina by playing it...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Peghead Nation

The tune is Anthony Frawley's.

Thanks,
    Baron
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Low/No budget DIY mandolin making tools

Good call on the bandsaw; that’s my most-used power tool! I’d recommend a moderate sweep gouge to help deal with the hard maple — finger planes will just wear you out if you try to use them for 100%...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop Fiddle Shop Lost to Fire

Hang on to your hats for this bit of news. What I'm told is Byron and his crew are going to post and confirm this on the web as well, where I don't know but I'd guess on Facebook:

Byron's Loar was...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop Fiddle Shop Lost to Fire

I'm sure the store itself had some form of insurance, but insuring every instrument in the house is a pretty technically and financially daunting task, especially for a brick-and-mortar store in...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Practicing while using a strap

Standing now and then helps make playing feel more natural and at ease. Not that a little practice isn't required. It's worth the effort though, even if just for a few minutes at a time. Sometimes...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatiron "PerfRomer A" Label

Interesting that they misspelled Performer too.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatiron "PerfRomer A" Label

You have probably got a unique instrument, mistakes like this on coins make them extremely valuable to numismatists.

Dave H
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Training the Mind

Thinking is no good - especially about parts of the tune you just passed by ("never look back" ist the strategy here).

Memorizing into the correct memory is the key. Practising must go into...
  19. Information about Weber, Flatiron and Gibson Instruments

We recently discovered players can no longer obtain information on Weber instruments built prior to 2013 from the Weber company. Mary and I would be happy to help with any questions or concerns you...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Left Wrist Placement

Here's a clip from Mike Marshall demonstrating what I think is the "standard" approach, basically treating the mandolin like a fiddle. Not thumb on the back of the neck like a guitar, more angled....
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Adi top break in

The perennial discussion about breaking in. I posit these two facts: 1) 300-year-old violins play fine (mostly), which suggests wood does not change very much, if at all. 2) We are very talented at...
  22. Re: Are you improving? Talk about humps, plateus, and breakthrou

I just notice the little breakthroughs: people clapping for a solo I've been working on, doing justice to a cool scale I'd discovered recently, remembering all the words to a song for the first time,...
  23. Replies
    Views

I’m still kicking myself in the butt for not jumping on that one myself!! Thought I’d think it over and then it was gone! Luckily, made a deal locally on a Collings MT.

Mickey King
  24. Replies
    Views

And right down the road Ken Ratcliff will make you an Econo A. There is not one thing that fancy wood, excepting a nice piece of wood for the top, or binding, or a scroll, adds to the tonal quality...
  25. Replies
    Views

A nod to Ratliff Mandolins

I have always been a Gibson guy. So, when I decided to go spend the money, I bought an F9 and then later an F5G and finally a Montana made Flatiron. I loved them all. Selling that F9 was a life...
Page 1 of 2 1 2