Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Music from Central France

Last night I watched an old documentary about the French musette music tradition. The most interesting part was that there was a large influx of people from the Auvergne are that migrated to Paris in...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Music from Central France

Thanks for the great responses everyone, I was beginning to think I'd drawn a blank on this one.
    Regarding Blowzabella, I once went to a dance where they were playing in Cheltenham, England.

My...
  3. Replies
    Views

Music from Central France

This is a nice video of a band called Cadene, who seem like they are from Central France. The pipes are certainly from there. (Cornemuse du Centre). Really nice, I think. Pretty funky looking lot as...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you remember all those tunes?

One good reason to avoid looking at a tune in a tune book is that the notes/ABC/Tab on the page become a "contextual cue", something you rely on, even when you've already internalised the tune and...
  5. Re: Replacement humbucker pickup for Eastman El Rey Lollar

There are going to be some new pickup makers in the near future as builders like myself make the transition with Pete's retirement.
  6. Re: Strings for tuning Plectrum banjo as Irish Tenor capoed 3rd f

Thanks, ZB, I will!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tension/strings on a BR 40-T

I went with this recommendation and intonation and tension are perfect. Thank you!
  8. Re: What artist/album got you started with Trad?

O'Riada Sa Gaiety by Sean O'Riada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se%C3%A1n_%C3%93_Riada
  9. Re: ADAD too much tension for Hora Irish bouzouki?

I'll probably try lighter strings for the lowest course the next time I replace strings. I also have wanted to tune to GDAE but had similar concerns about tension. I like the all fifths tuning on my...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Bouzouki Fingering

GDAD with octave pairs. I'm not trying to use mandolin fingering but just wondering what works best in the long run. I don't want to start with bad habits. By the way it's your book I'm using!
  11. Re: Replacement bridge for Epiphone MandoBird VIII?

Let me see what I can come up with. I have your email and will be in touch in a couple days.
  12. Re: Replacement bridge for Epiphone MandoBird VIII?

Roger,
    I can make you a brass one but I haven't any plans to have bridges plated anytime soon. The minimum cost is so high now that it puts the price out of reach based on demand. I could also post...
  13. Re: Replacement bridge for Epiphone MandoBird VIII?

Hey Roger, nothing wrong with the original with a couple of tweaks.
    In my experience, the neck angle as standard is wrong so the bridge is usually as low as it will go and often the action is too...
  14. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Well, Gibson has not enforced its supposedly "trademarked" design for the F5 mandolin model (f-holes, carved body shape, 2 points, scroll, curlicue headstock, etc.) in almost a full century....
  15. Thread: Alec Finn RIP

by kmmando
    Replies
    Views

Re: Alec Finn RIP

I have now added a load more images of Alec Finn if anyone is interested.

http://www.kevinmacleod.co.uk/alec-finn

cheers Kevin
  16. Re: Post a photo of your 70s-early 80s Sobell, Abnett, etc.

You know, Brian generally thinks of himself as a fiddle player, but for me, he's actually one of the best bouzouki players of that generation - a feller who really understood the percussive role the...
  17. Re: Post a photo of your 70s-early 80s Sobell, Abnett, etc.

Looks like a young version of Brian McNeill to me...

Nigel
    http://www.nkforsterguitars.com
  18. Thread: 1970s Sobell

by lklose
    Replies
    Views

Re: 1970s Sobell

Reminds me of the story and video of Bill Frisell on the Fretboard Journal web site. Bill recovered his first good jazz guitar, a Gibson ES 175 with some custom features, many years after he sold it...
  19. Thread: 1970s Sobell

by liestman
    Replies
    Views

Roger I believe Stefan pegged mine as 1977. Same label as your zouk.
  20. Re: Post a photo of your 70s-early 80s Sobell, Abnett, etc.

My "I think we figured 1977" Sobell Mandolin with blue Vader-Shag case. It's my baby!
    I replaced the tuners in the mid 80s and the case handle a few years ago, all else is original.

21. Thread: 1970s Sobell

by nkforster
    Replies
    Views

The top damage is a fairly common ailment amongst older Sobell citterns. Stefan changed the design to stop this happening - it's a pretty simple fix.

Skip (Stefan's son) is only a few years older...
  22. Re: Post a photo of your 70s-early 80s Sobell, Abnett, etc.

Here's a photo of my band Innisfree with me holding the Sobell Martin Simpson brought over, and that I purchased around 1985. 20 1/4 inch scale, now tuned as a mandola.

23. Thread: 1970s Sobell

by liestman
    Replies
    Views

Same label as my mandolin. Apparently his son was making the tailpieces back then. I would love to hear your once it gets fixed up!
  24. Replies
    Views

Pretty sure I remember you playing this, Roger. Its been awhile. Cool story you got it back.
  25. Replies
    Views

Not Sure What this is....

OK I built it but not sure what to call it..

It is a Gibson L-0 six string body shape but about 10mm deeper with a arm bevel and 4 nylon strings tuned as a Cello CGDA.. Not a Mando Cello, not a...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4