Search:

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

The picture by Harley Marty of the refretted mandolin looks like it now has fan frets, so the bridge is not necessarily off in the photo, but angled to compensate for the fan fretting, Charles E. ...
  2. Thread: Swindon

by John Kelly
    Replies
    Views

Swindon

This is a tune I got over on the SAW Group, posted first by John Williamson, and it just took my fancy.
    It is by Northumbrian musician and composer Archie Dagg (1899 - 1990) and the title is the...
  3. Thread: Tam Lin

by John Kelly
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tam Lin

One of the staple of my fiddler buddies around here, Colin. It is often used as a sort of competition piece by the young players on their high-speed battles! Also known as The Glasgow Reel, so some...
  4. Thread: Hello All!

by John Kelly
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hello All!

Ranald, thanks for letting me sleep on in my Scottish time zone! Hope you find something of interest in the SAW Group, Garrett.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon video

You must have had a good porridge breakfast before playing this old classic, Dagger! You seemed to be really enjoying it (tune as well as breakfast). Great stuff, and I was singing along to what I...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Etude Op.45 Nr.10 by Franz Wohlfahrt

That is indeed a piece that would be a great learning aid, I reckon, Toomas
  7. Replies
    Views

Mrs Jamieson's Favourite

This is a lovely Scottish slow air composed by Charles Grant, a 19th Century fiddler and composer from Morayshire.

My version is on octave, mandolin and guitar and based on an arrangement got from...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The Queen's Welcome to Invercauld

Many thanks, Mick. Bothies traditionally were basic farm buildings where the workers were housed, a bit like the bunkhouse that featured in so many of the cowboy films I feasted on as a youngster. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

The Queen's Welcome to Invercauld

This is a James Scott Skinner fiddle composition I have adapted to octave mandolin and guitar. The Queen in the title is Victoria, not the recently departed Elizabeth, who passed away very near to...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The Nomad (mandola duet)

A great tune and arrangement, Colin. Very fine playing too!
  11. Re: Developing a lighter touch on the pick and strings

Experiment too with different picks. A heavier pick can make you play more lightly as you feel that it needs less picking power to get a good tone. At least I seem to find that! Bren mentions...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Good to see (and hear) the fingers still working their magic, Dagger! I am assuming the porridge and honey breakfast preceded this set? Great seamless transitions too.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

A great tone from that instrument, Jo. The composition really reflects the mood you create with the superimposed tidal ripples.
  14. Replies
    Views

My mandolin and guitar version of the tune Winter Sky by the Danish/Irish trio Kasir.

pwntVdTQxNQ
  15. Replies
    Views

A lovely slow air composed by the late Gordon Duncan, an amazing piper, whistle player and composer. My version is on mandolin (my own-build ten string tuned DGDAE as suggested by Dagger Gordon) and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Fine arrangement and delivery, Dagger. This one is on my list (as a song rather than instrumental) for a Burns evening I am taking part in on the 2nd weekend in February organised by the local...
  17. Re: Musescore versus Dorico for music notation in the IPad?

Musescore is free to all users and not just in a limited version. It does everything you seem to be looking for and also can import .abc files and produce standard notation from the imported .abc. ...
  18. Re: Flatwater Fran (mandolin, mandola, concertina, guitar) waltz

Great arrangement and playing of this very popular tune, Colin. As Bren says, it is a staple in so many of our Scottish sessions over here and always enjoyed by both players and audiences.
  19. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

My own experience (self-taught and not having heard of DUD DUD before finding the Cafe) very much tallies with Dagger Gordon's as he posted above. Maybe there is something about being Scottish here?...
  20. Re: Christmas carol “Der Heiland ist geboren” from Austria

A pleasant seasonal offering here, Toomas. The hybrid picking works so well on those tunes.
  21. Replies
    Views

What a lovely video and idea. The dancers are such fun!
  22. Replies
    Views

A set of two 2/4 Scottish marches, played on mandolin and octave with guitar backing.
    Have a great Christmas, everyone!

dKX2QiEsp7k
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmas carol from Batschka (Bačka)

Once again your hybrid picking creates a great arrangement, Toomas. Very clean playing and a great seasonal melody. Merry Christmas to you too!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Need suppliers in Europe

Lost in Croatia asked: "I think that I will use mahogany for the neck and maple for the fingerboard. What think you?" Mahogany is a good choice for neck as is maple for fingerboards. I was lucky...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon video

Comment posted over on the Videos, Pictures and Soundfiles section of the forum, Dagger. Great playing.
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4